Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 10:12:28 PM EDT
Based on the literature I can find, the  2014 SP-01 Shadow Custom's are different than the previous model years, in that the primary difference is changing/upgrading the trigger to the "short reset trigger system". (SRTS)

Are there other beneficial changes that make a 2014 "that much better" than a non-2014?

What about the previous year models? Are there any variations or upgrades in one year over another prior to 2014?

I just purchased a "New" SP-01 Shadow Custom off of GB. Based on CZCustom's pricing for a 2014, I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a 2014 model. (but it was purchased from a very well known custom CZ dealer)

Whether my purchase is (or is not) a 2014, I'm very excited about the purchase, and I have no concerns about the firearm currently enroute to my FFL. It will be cherished, and will find nice companionship with my CZ P-01.

For now it will be my primary range shooter, with reservations for competition usage if/when I decide to go down that path.

ETA: I'm just trying to learn about the pre-2014 versions. Details regarding their specifics are scant.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Based on the literature I can find, the  2014 SP-01 Shadow Custom's are different than the previous model years, in that the primary difference is changing/upgrading the trigger to the "short reset trigger system". (SRTS)

Are there other beneficial changes that make a 2014 "that much better" than a non-2014?

What about the previous year models? Are there any variations or upgrades in one year over another prior to 2014?

I just purchased a "New" SP-01 Shadow Custom off of GB. Based on CZCustom's pricing for a 2014, I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a 2014 model. (but it was purchased from a very well known custom CZ dealer)

Whether my purchase is (or is not) a 2014, I'm very excited about the purchase, and I have no concerns about the firearm currently enroute to my FFL. It will be cherished, and will find nice companionship with my CZ P-01.

For now it will be my primary range shooter, with reservations for competition usage if/when I decide to go down that path.

ETA: I'm just trying to learn about the pre-2014 versions. Details regarding their specifics are scant.
View Quote

I'm not the most knowledgeable CZ guy here, but I'm pretty sure the only change to the new Shadows is in fact the short reset system. And it does make a big difference in reset. I have the CGW short reset system in my SP-01 and it's amazing. If I were a betting man, I'd say CZC is probably using CGW's parts for the short reset system, but I could be very wrong.

Either way, it makes quite a difference and is worth a few extra bucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
After further research it's actually just the standard version shipped from CZ, and not the fully "custom" version CZC performs with further tuning. (Which makes sense based on the price, but for a minute there I thought I scored a sweet deal. ) CZC lists this version as item # 91154, although I don't understand the additional naming of "Custom Exclusive" if there's nothing done beyond the factory CZ work.

CZC's listing

I'm definitely going to be reaching out to CGW for further trigger refinement. I picked it up from the FFL yesterday, and while the trigger does feel good there is significant room for improvement. No grittiness. Just more pre-travel in both DA and SA modes than I expected, and DA feels as heavy as my factory stock P-01's DA pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top