Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 9:59:01 AM EDT
Is the extra work that is done to the shadow really worth twice the price?

I want to pick up an SP-01 in the next couple of months. Should I splurge on the shadow or will the Tactical do everything just as well?

(I'm just looking for a full size 9mm for general shooting, possible nightstand gun, host for a can but not CCW or competition...)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I want to pick up an SP-01 in the next couple of months. Should I splurge on the shadow or will the Tactical do everything just as well?

(I'm just looking for a full size 9mm for general shooting, possible nightstand gun, host for a can but not CCW or competition...)
View Quote

Shadow would be extreme overkill for general shooting and possible night stand duty. Lol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shadow would be extreme overkill for general shooting and possible night stand duty. Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand it would be overkill, but what's the major draw?
Besides the trigger job and upgraded sites, I can't see a big difference.

Could I reasonably be able to expect that I could get a Tactical model, get some trigger work done and pretty much be at the same place, accuracy wise?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you want the Tactical.

EDIT: Accuracy wise both will be the same unless you compare to the Accu-Shadow.  The triggers, sights, hammers, etc. are all different.  You could make all of those upgrades yourself over time if you so choose.  Again, sounds like you want the Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could I reasonably be able to expect that I could get a Tactical model, get some trigger work done and pretty much be at the same place, accuracy wise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shadow is much more than a simple trigger job and different sights. But as far as accuracy, it's no more accurate than the standard SP-01 or SP-01 Tac unless you got the Accu Shadow.

- Shadow Competition Rear Sight CZ
- Fiber Optic Front Sight
- CZ Custom SA DA Hammer & Main Spring
- Drop in Pr B Short Reset / Swing forward Disconnector (NEW 2014)
- Ext Firing Pin, Lighter Spring Pin Spring (NEW 2014)
- Stainless Steel Guide Rod
- Tune Trigger Components (Reduces Single and Double action trigger pull)
- Install and Tune 13lb Main Spring and 11lb Recoil Spring
- Re profile and Polish Disconnector and associated surfaces.
- Re Profile Slide Stop For Magazine release with Heavy / Long Bullets
- Thin Black Aluminum Grips
- Includes (3) 18 round 9mm magazines
- Reliability Check. Zero Check with Factory Ammunition
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a more detailed reply here's the TLDR - the No-Firing-Pin-Block upper is THE big item on the Shadow. Everything else is parts/smithing.

You can get a better trigger (reset quality and distance) without the FPB and you can't remove the FPB for competition. So you can basically swap all the parts to be equivalent, the upper is really where the difference is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

CZ's website seemed to be lacking some of these details (unless I'm just blind).

I'll be buying a Tactical model (rather than standard model), since I'm used to a decocker which
is what I have on my 75 Compact.

Again, I appreciate the education!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

CZ's website seemed to be lacking some of these details (unless I'm just blind).

I'll be buying a Tactical model (rather than standard model), since I'm used to a decocker which
is what I have on my 75 Compact.

Again, I appreciate the education!
View Quote

No problem.
Go to czcustom.com for better info on the custom models. CZ Custom is who does all the CZ Factory custom work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
First off shadows aren't twice as expensive as a standard sp-01. The sp-01 shadow and standard shadow can be had from $800 to about $875. They are very nice guns, I have both. Standard cz75bs including sp-01s are great guns but the sights and trigger pull aren't as nice as on the shadows. If you can work on guns you can upgrade a  sp-01 yourself but if you send it out to have the upgrades you will have more in it than a shadow. I have a 75sa with cz custom hammer and sights that shoots as good as my shadows but I have about $150 in parts and I had to remove the firing pin block to shorten the pull and reset. Shadows are pretty much good to go. Check this web site and they get shadows frequently with good prices. http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The tactical fits my hand like a glove and is CZ perfection.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The tactical fits y hand like a glove and is CZ perfection.

<a href="http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/jkh62/media/CZ%20compact/NCM_0106_zpsjjrdroou.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/CZ%20compact/NCM_0106_zpsjjrdroou.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/jkh62/media/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/CZ%20compact/NCM_0108_zpspgsctdny.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks JK!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. (The top gun)
I already have the 75 Com D in the middle of your group picture, but I am looking for a 9mm to mount a light and possibly host a suppressor.

The decision has been made, just need to put the pieces in place. (Read: Convince the wife that it's a needed expenditure. )
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my "B" model a lot but the tactical really nails the "perfect fit".
The browning highpower has always been the pistol that points accurately and feels like an extension of you hand but the tactical CZ does it one better IMHO and using my hand.

Slightly different beavertail profile on the tactical along with checkered grip surfaces , beveled mag well are huge refinements IMHO.
The night sights are EXCELLENT and adding a good light makes it a wicked combo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top