Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2014 2:47:36 PM EDT
I am looking for a new competition (ESP) gun that will also see a lot of use in classes (I have to hit certain scores in order to progress to more advanced courses). The gun will not be carried and will likely not be used for HD/SD.

Im a big BHP shooter and while I love the platform, some of its design limitations do hold be back a bit (narrow mag well, mushy safety, crappy sights until upgraded, trigger needs a lot of work, etc). My budget is flexible, but I cant afford a $1300 SP 01 shadow from the custom shop. I much prefer a SAO gun due to the trigger and training familiarity (BHP, 1911, etc)

Assuming no further modifications were made, what would better suit my needs at the best value?

CZ 75 B SA
SP 01 converted to SA?
CZ 75 Shadow SA? Steep at $850 on the custom shop, but doable if the difference is worth it.

The Shadow seems like the way to go, but will the SP01 outperform it? It seems to me that the extra weight would be helpful with recoil mitigation and it has taller sights than the stock CZ75 SA. I'm not exactly sure what the sights are on the Shadow.

I have a set of hammers and punches for detail stripping, but other than replacing hammer springs, etc in 1911s and BHPs I dont have much kitchen table gunsmithing experience. Is the SA conversion drop in or do parts need to be stoned/fitted?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I own both a CZ75B SA and a CZ75 Shadow SA and will say the Shadow is well worth the $850 they're asking. I'm much more capable with it than any of the several Hi Powers (Browning MKIII, FEG or Arcus) I've owned or the Springfield Range Officer I had. The CZs are very ergonomic and have a much better feel in the hand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard back from David at CGW who seems like a great guy.

For the money, it seems like the basic package on a 75B SA outperforms the Shadow (just my assumption).

Im curious to hear how the SP01 Pro package stands up against the 75B Pro (and the intermediate packages). Of course, the SP01 price will need to include the SAO conversion
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a single action only CZ I would go with the shadow sa only.  I have a sp-01 shadow,, a standard shadow and a 75sa. Both the shadow and the 75sa balance better for me than the sp-01 shadow. The stock sights and trigger pulls  on the shadows are much better. My 75sa now shoots as good as my shadows but I had to change the sights, hammer, trigger and remove the firing pin block. Removing the firing pin block makes the trigger reset short on the 75sa but is illegal in most competition I think. Another option would be a standard da/sa 75 shadow with a short reset disconnector. This makes the sa pull great. Both my shadows have this. With this installed in single action there is minimal takeup in the trigger pull unlike the standard shadow or stock 75sa. This also allows you to start double action or single action unlike the sao shadow or 75sa.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think CZ discontinued the Shadow SAO recently.

FWIW, I recently bought a regular 75B for the exact reasons you listed.  I used CZC hammer, CZC trigger, CGW sear, 15 lb mainspring, pulled the FPB, and converted it to SAO.  I now have a very crisp trigger pull of approx 2.75 lbs.  I'm actually planning on putting a heavier spring back in to get the pull up to 3-3.25 lbs (personal preference).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

CZC still offers SAO Shadows:

http://czcustom.com/CZ75SHADOWSABLACK.aspx
View Quote

Oops.  My bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top