Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 11:12:32 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up an SP 01 in the next few days, but I don't know very much about the upgrades, etc. available, and which way to go here.  I have studied the different models a little, but I'm open to recommendations for sure.  All metal and a light rail are requirements, though.  

This is what I'm looking for, and I don't know the best way to get there:
- excellent trigger with very clean break with a short reset (I shoot fast)
- would prefer a reach reduction upgrade
- best sights for precision/accuracy (I struggle sometimes with groups, and prefer a skinny front sight)

My budget for the gun and upgrades right now would be $7-800, but I can put it off a month or two and save up if that's the best thing to do, I'm not in a huge hurry.  I've assembled several ars, and can do minor polishing/replace gun parts.  That's about as far as my gunsmithing experience goes.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna be pretty close with your budget depending on the model. Call David at Cajun Gun Works for your upgrades.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For now get the SP01. Get the Cajon or CZ Custom hammer. Stick with the stock trigger. I actually prefer this, most folks like the older style or 85 trigger. Reset is going to be moderate. No getting away from DA/SA restrictions. If you want the uber short reset you need to convert to SAO and then dump the firing pin block. This will give you the awesome SAO trigger that people love.  As far as sights I went with FO front sight and "combat" all black Novakish rears.   I have 2 SP01. 1 worked over and the 2nd stock but with better hammer.

If you do the work yourself you might be able to do it on your budget. If you can't do the work save a few hundred more for the pros to do it. I love me the CZ but it's not the easiest pistol to work on. Worse than a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
What SP01 are you looking at? Safety model or the Tactical with the decocker? Safety model is a little easier to work on, but either can be made to have a great trigger. I prefer the safety version as you can manually lower the hammer or it gives you the option of cocked and lock. I use my SP01 safety model for IDPA. For some insights on what improvements can be made to a stock SP01 see my thread on CZ forums where I installed a bunch of CGW and a CZC comp hammer in stages and took trigger measurements after all of them.

If you want to smooth out the trigger with minimal money check out this this post on the CZ Forum, If you wanted to start out small in the beginning I would think a spring pack plus the SRS-2 from CGW would be a great start. As for replacement sights I really like my CGW EZ Drift fiber optic front/black serrated rear I have on my SP01.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys, great responses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up an SP 01 in the next few days, but I don't know very much about the upgrades, etc. available, and which way to go here.  I have studied the different models a little, but I'm open to recommendations for sure.  All metal and a light rail are requirements, though.  

This is what I'm looking for, and I don't know the best way to get there:
- excellent trigger with very clean break with a short reset (I shoot fast)
- would prefer a reach reduction upgrade
- best sights for precision/accuracy (I struggle sometimes with groups, and prefer a skinny front sight)

My budget for the gun and upgrades right now would be $7-800, but I can put it off a month or two and save up if that's the best thing to do, I'm not in a huge hurry.  I've assembled several ars, and can do minor polishing/replace gun parts.  That's about as far as my gunsmithing experience goes.  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Honestly, the easiest thing you could do is call up Cajun Gun Works, shoe exclusively focuses on customizing CZ's, and tell him what you're looking for. He does outstanding work, and I have never even heard of him having an unhappy customer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you shot a CZ before?
What is the intended use for the gun?
What other handguns do you normally shoot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top