Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
thinking about getting a CZ and have no experience with them so I have a few questions. Bear with me since there are quite a few.

I see some are listed as having drop free mags and some aren't but the FAQ section says all new ones have drop free, is this true?

I'm left handed and was thinking about the following models: 75 B SA, 85 B/combat, p-09, which of these would be a good all around gun for carry and range use?

how well do the poly framed guns hold up to heavy use, are they as well built as the metal ones?

Are they high maintenance guns or are they kind of like Glocks and other SF guns that just run and run without parts failures and if parts are needed are they easy to get and install yourself?

I have small hands and need as short of a trigger reach as possible, how do the models I listed compare to a Gen4 Glock, XDM and Sig P320 with the small grips? The glocks are a tad too big for me even with the Gen4 frame and the rest I listed are good but could be a bit shorter yet.

I really don't like DA pulls so I would be using the gun in SA mode and I assume the manual safety models are meant to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911?

The only CZ I've been able to find in stock anywhere is a p -07, which I've read is a bit on the chunky side. I was really looking hard at the p -09 so I could get the lighter poly framed gun but also have ti set up with the manual safety but if the gun is too chunky for my hand I'll have to look at another model.
This is about all I can think if for now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
SP-01 with a safety is what you seek. If you don't need a light rail, then an 85 Combat or stainless 75b. I don't care for plastic guns, and CZ makes fine metal ones, so unless weight is a concern there is no real reason to buy one. A P-01 might be a good compromise.  Maintaining a CZ involves cleaning channel behind the extractor and replacing springs every few thousand rounds. ANything you'd need to do can be accomplished with a hammer and appropriate punch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering you said you don't like DA pulls, I think you're on target with a 75B SAO. I have a few of them, by far my favorite handgun.

As for as maintenance, mine just go. I don't let them get heavily gunked up, but I certainly don't clean them religiously either. I couldn't tell you how far mine have to get to choke, they never do.

Also in regard to the other post, I don't know if the manual states to change springs that often or something, I've never heard of changing anything that often. But I can tell you in my experience with CZ75s that changing springs that often is not necessary. I have well over 10k rounds on one 75 SAO and I've never changed its springs or removed the extractor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a CZ-75B in .40 S&W that just refuses to quit working and has never had a failure of any kind, even with mouse fart lead loads.

It does have a slightly long DA trigger but is easily and safely carried cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only CZ I've been able to find in stock anywhere is a p -07
View Quote

CZ could sell a metric shit ton of pistols if they would just manufacture them.  They sure do advertize though!  I've been looking for a P-01 for quite some time.  I'd rather support local businesses but they're not even available to order.  Oh well, I'm young, I'll just keep waiting.

OP, the 75 single action only is your best option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys. How's the trigger reach on the 75 SA? I would assume since it's a single action it's fairly short. I know the one thing that caught my eye on the 75 SA is the flat trigger, I think that's the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a CZ-75 that didn't drop the mags freely. Fortunately, the only thing preventing that in the 75s is a flat spring that puts light pressure on the back of the magazines.

So I bent said flat spring slightly so it no longer put enough pressure on the mags to hold them, and after than the mags dropped free every time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CZ could sell a metric shit ton of pistols if they would just manufacture them.  They sure do advertize though!  I've been looking for a P-01 for quite some time.  I'd rather support local businesses but they're not even available to order.  Oh well, I'm young, I'll just keep waiting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only CZ I've been able to find in stock anywhere is a p -07

I know you like to support local businesses but Buds Gun Shop has the P-01 in stock. Get it shipped to your local FFL and buy some ammunition off them, still giving them business.

Id love to have a PCR, love how they look.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
are the manual safeties  on the metal framed guns better than the poly? I handled a p-07 and I hated the safety, it was too flat and I couldn't manipulate it with my strong side thumb, I had to use my support thumb.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It depends on the model.

The 75B safeties are middle of the road. The Shadow Line featured shaved safeties, the Single Action and Shadows have extended safeties.

Single Action v. 75B

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/f5clvej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/545/clve.jpg</a>

Shadow Line:

http://czcustom.com/images/products/detail/a75ShadowLine013.jpg

Shadow safeties are the same as the Single Action

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are the manual safeties  on the metal framed guns better than the poly? I handled a p-07 and I hated the safety, it was too flat and I couldn't manipulate it with my strong side thumb, I had to use my support thumb.

It depends on the model.

The 75B safeties are middle of the road. The Shadow Line featured shaved safeties, the Single Action and Shadows have extended safeties.

Single Action v. 75B

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/f5clvej" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/545/clve.jpg</a>

Shadow Line:

http://czcustom.com/images/products/detail/a75ShadowLine013.jpg

Shadow safeties are the same as the Single Action

thanks, I was looking at getting the 75B SA. The p-07/9 has a safety like the shadow picture, but it is made out of plastic. I think the 75B/SA safety would be a lot better since it looks like there is more to grab a hold of.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
dont worry about the mags dropping free or not. its a feature for Euro buyers, and it is easily changed as said earlier by bending a spring.

Since you are lefty, the 85 is the way to go. ambidextrous controls.

Never shot the poly ones, but the all steel ones are awesome to shoot. Barely any recoil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
The P09 is a big P07, so if you think the P07 is "chunky" the P09 is "chunkier."

I like my P07.  It shoots rings around my Glock/XDM/M&P plastic pistols.  If my 5.25" XDM competition gun had shot as well as my P07 I'd never wasted money on those M&Ps that can't decide whether to run or not.

I like my P07 so well that I recently bought a P09 to try it out.

The safety on my P07 was great from the start.  The P09 was stiff.  It took several minutes of flipping the safety on/off (wore out the right thumb, got a tender spot on it, too and switched to the left thumb for awhile, but finally got it loosened up enough to feel right.

I like my P07 because it feel good in my hand.  Because I can carry it cocked and locked like my 1911's.  Because (so far) its been reliable as hell, just like my 1911's.  Because it's so easy to buy parts for if I feel I need them (unlike the M&Ps and XDMs) just like my 1911's.  Because is so accurate I can pick which eye to put a 135 grain HP in, just like my best 1911's.  Check out CZ USA, CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works.  Any/all the CZ spare parts (factory or custom) you'll ever need.  Any tiny little spring, lever, pin, etc. or any custom trigger/hammer/sear/sights, etc. you could need/want.  This was another reason for me buying the P07.  

Maybe I've been lucky with the P07.  If you choose a CZ, I hope it works out for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top