Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 11:37:00 AM EDT

(Hopefully this is the correct forum but if not, mods, please move it to the proper forum.)

I have an EAA Witness Limited, which is a CZ-75 pattern gun that is in need of repair.

The problem is that once the slide locks back on an empty mag and after a full mag is inserted, pressing the slide stop release causes the hammer to fall from the jolt of the slide going forward.

Note: The gun doesn't fire, just the hammer falls so it isn't cocked but not far enough to hit the firing pin.  As the gun is single action only, I can't pull the trigger to re-cock it.

Who are the good CZ gunsmiths?  Anybody in South Florida?  Should I just send the gun back to EAA?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a Tanfoglio/Witness gunsmith, not a CZ gunsmith. Internally, the guns are completely different.

I was considering a 38 Super Witness and found this place, which was recommended a lot https://canyoncreekcustom.com

ETA: If the gun is new and warrantied, try contacting EAA. Please update us on how they handle it -- historically bad customer service on the part of EAA seems to keep the Witness as an also-ran in the US gun world.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I contacted EAA.  They didn't ask how old the gun is, just was I the original purchaser.

As I bought the gun lightly used back in the 90's, this isn't going to be a warranty repair.

They sent me an email with their items to include, shipping address, and shipping instructions.

The include list was a letter detailing the problem, my contact information, $20 to cover return shipping and a copy of the original purchase receipt (if I was the original owner and wanted it covered under the warranty).

The gun did not have the issue when I first got it.  Rather, I shot it many thousands of rounds and the problem was caused by wear and tear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I might go with Canyon Creek and have them do some updates with it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What sort of updates?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What sort of updates?
View Quote

A trigger job and better sights. Given that you've had the gun so long, you may not want anything changed though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A trigger job and better sights. Given that you've had the gun so long, you may not want anything changed though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of updates?

My gun is the Witness Limited .45 acp model and it came from the factory with all the bells and whistles.  I used it in USPSA limited in the 90's.  Factory mags are double stack 10 rounds (back before there was any sort of mag ban or 10 round limit).  

It has a single action only straight trigger at roughly 2.5 lbs, Bo-Mar adjustable sights, extended beaver tail, extended safety and so on.

This isn't my gun, but here is a pic I found on the net which similar to mine (but mine has a different hammer, like the one in the second gun pic).

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't look like there's much else you need. Maybe call Canyon Creek for an estimate on getting your issue fixed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top