Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 10:49:14 PM EDT
When my grandfather passed he left us a couple of guns, nothing too exciting.  We weren't sure they were even safe to shoot since he had not fired or cared for them in years so they got tossed into the back of the safe and forgotten about.  I was cleaning out my safe the other day and curiosity got the best of me, I googled the make and model of the one pistol and it turns out it is a cz modell 27.  The video I saw on youtube said they were a very popular gun back in the day, but also says if you have one with the nazi roll marks it is pretty rare.  I never imagined mine would have them, but sure enough it did.  It has the plant that it was produced on the top of the slide, and swastika with the eagle stamped on the barrel, and another nazi roll mark on the frame.

So my question is, is there anyway to know who the gun may have been issues to or when it was used?  Also any idea what something like this could be worth?  It's not mint condition by any stretch, but it appears to be fully functional.

Any info is appreciated.  I'll get some pics in the next day or so and post them up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The SS were big users of captured foreign arms especially side arms. There is no real way to figure out where it was used unless it bears a property mark of some type which many did not. If you plan on shooting it, do be aware that the grips on these pistols did not fare well with age and are prone to cracking. Mint grips can bring over $100.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
it was manufactured in Bohmische Waffenfabrik A.G. in Prag,

"Bohmische Waffenfabrik A.G. in Prag" is stamped across the top of the slide.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not rare at all as the German Army procured 455,000 of them (E/Wa/76) and the SS-Police 7,000 (E/K)    Sounds like you have a "Bohmische" variation: Good solid pre War design.  I used to have one in the late 80s.

BOHMISCHE WAFFENFABRIK A.G. IN PRAG on top of slide, " Pistol Modell 27 Kal. 7,65" on left side; four groove vertical slide serrations and strawed parts; divided into two subvariations based on finish.

High-Polish Blue Subvariation:  Approximate serial range 21400-230000 (the change to military blue finish was gradual with much overlap)  Estimated production 209000

Military Blue Finish Subvariation: (there is overlap with the "fnh" code variation) serial number range 230000-261000.  Est production 31000.

Other two types are the early "CESKA" and late war finished "fnh".

CZ in Prague started manufacture of the Cz27 in 1927; by the time of the German Occupation in 1939 about 15000 had been produced.  Most of these went to the Czechoslovakian Police and civilian markets.  The Czech Police retained their weapons during the German occupation.

Some of the first occupation pistols produced bear the "CESKA" legend on top of the slide, and AKAH or GECO German commercial import logos.  A few of the early occupation pistols bear German Army acceptance stamps and /or test proofs.

The German name for the Ceska Zbrojovaka factory was Bohmische Waffenfabrik A.G. (Bohemian Weapons Factory Inc) and the "BOHMISCHE" slide legend was adopted during 1941 shortly after the occupation military production started.  ariations are based on slide legend (CESKA, BOHMISCHE, and fnh) and subvariations are base on finish (high polish blue, military blue and phosphate)  Serial number range from about 20000 to over 475000 for a total production of 455000.   A few pistols with the "BOHMISCHE" slide legend are without serial number and bear a Nazi eagle 4 and U prefix number etched on the slide.  These may have been pre-military production test pistols.

source: AXIS PISTOLS Vol II by Jan C. Still

CD
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the pistol itself is not rare, but I was told if it still had the markings on them that it was considered rare.  I was told that when the nazis were overthrown they ground or machined off their markings on a lot of the modell 27's.  Maybe that is incorrect?  I guess I'll have to dig a little further, thanks for the other info as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know the pistol itself is not rare, but I was told if it still had the markings on them that it was considered rare.  I was told that when the nazis were overthrown they ground or machined off their markings on a lot of the modell 27's.  Maybe that is incorrect?  I guess I'll have to dig a little further, thanks for the other info as well.
View Quote
Not the nazi's. Your thinking of the Japanese grinding off the Imperial Mum the symbol of the emperor. Yes Germany did "de nazify" by law after the war. Any small arms or basically anything with the swastika was banned. You'll see lots of nazi daggers that have had the swastika broken off or defaced.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top