Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2014 7:52:01 PM EDT
Questions for those who have shot both, and which one had least amount of perceived recoil impulse?

To my understanding the SP-01 should have less due to weight considerations, but I keep finding little scattered entries here and there across the webz saying that they p-09 is the softer shooter.

Would like to hear about some other's experiences.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
About the same with the metal framed SP01 being a just a touch softer, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Copy and paste to go to a video of me shooting both an SP-01 Phantom, (poly frame), and P-09. P-09 seemed softer. Disregard the advertisement in the video - it was kind of a joke.
http://youtu.be/o9u0gp2qgAM
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SP-01 Shadow and  P-09 and personally I feel the SP-01 has less perceived recoil.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Copy and paste to go to a video of me shooting both an SP-01 Phantom, (poly frame), and P-09. P-09 seemed softer. Disregard the advertisement in the video - it was kind of a joke.
http://youtu.be/o9u0gp2qgAM
View Quote

Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay it seems so far that the sp-01 has a slight slight lead.  But now which one do you guys like more?
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The SP-01 Phantom. The grip fits me better than the slightly redesigned grip of the P-09. I would happily carry the P-09, and have, but I would pick the SP-01 for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
SP-01, just a solid platform to build upon and the extra weight up front to minimize recoil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SP-01 Tactical in .40S&W that I shoot a lot.  I also have access to a 9mm SP-01 (my Dad has one).  IMO, there isn't much difference in felt recoil between the two.  I've only shot a P09 once but I was really impressed with how it shot.  I remember thinking how light the recoil felt.  Would buy one, no question.  They are both great handguns.  My experience with the P09 is very limited but I would give it the slight edge in perceived recoil but take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay it seems so far that the sp-01 has a slight slight lead.  But now which one do you guys like more?
View Quote

This one is hard. I really like the light weight of the P-09 and the simplicity of the Omega trigger setup. I have it jammed full of CGW parts too which really give it a great trigger. On the other hand even with the replaceable backstraps I can't make the grip feel the same as my Shadow (which I consider to be just about perfect) and I find that I still shoot the Shadow better. Obviously such things are completely subjective and another person might feel exactly the opposite but for myself if I could only keep one of the pistols it would be my Shadow without hesitation.

ETA: The other thing is mag capacity... the P-09 has 19 round mags but does it by making them longer than the normal CZ 75 mags. The factory 18 round mags you can get for the normal 75 guns (which really hold 19 rounds) are just about the same length as the P-09's 19 round mags so it's not like the P-09 uses some magic to cram 19 rounds into a small magazine. Further, I can get MecGar (CZ's OE supplier) 16rd magazines from Brownells for $20 with the dealer discount and I don't feel bad about using them in matches or classes where they might get stepped on or full of mud or lost or whatever. P-09 mags only work in the P-09/P-07 and are closer to $50 each.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This is going to be very subjective and also depend on the shooters hand.  

For me, the recoil impulse into my hand is less with the heavier gun, but I find that the P-09 seems to flip less for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xWGYhWKSYw&list=UU371oVS24jDLUGmNvWg5mqQ

My impressions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Market Garden mentioned magazine size and relative size - here's the P-09 on top of the SP-01 and vice versa.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Market Garden mentioned magazine size and relative size - here's the P-09 on top of the SP-01 and vice versa.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20P-09/P09ontopofPhantom_zps1b64090a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20P-09/P09ontopofPhantom_zps1b64090a.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20P-09/PhantomontopofP09_zpsc51e2e4e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20P-09/PhantomontopofP09_zpsc51e2e4e.jpg</a>
View Quote

Perfect, thanks! When both set up to take 19 rounds they're essentially the same size.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
We've already watched your vid Ian ;)  But everyone else should definitely watch it.  Great table top discussing recoil impulse between these models.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We've already watched your vid Ian ;)  But everyone else should definitely watch it.  Great table top discussing recoil impulse between these models.
View Quote

Happy to help! :P

Just trying to spread my experience around! :P
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
AM I crazy or can you turn a standard SP-01 with a safety and convert it into a DA/SA?  Essentially turn an sp-01 into a sp-01 tactical?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AM I crazy or can you turn a standard SP-01 with a safety and convert it into a DA/SA?  Essentially turn an sp-01 into a sp-01 tactical?
View Quote

The sp-01 tactical has a decocker,  the standard sp-01 is da/sa with a safety, it's the omega system that is changeable
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. You CAn convert the P-09 from decocker to standard safety if you wish. Takes a few minutes at home.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I went with the P09, it fit my hands slightly better than the sp01, but I really liked the weight on the SP01 so I'll more than likely grab one of those or pick up a Target sports in the future.  My only compliant about the CZ-p09 (1k rounds thus far)
is the distance from the slide release lever.  Even with the small grips it is very difficult to reach with the firing side thumb, so I've practiced like crazy to use the support side thumb to drop the slide.  It works really well this way, especially given how large the lever is just took a lot of practice to get it up to speed.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with the P09, it fit my hands slightly better than the sp01, but I really liked the weight on the SP01 so I'll more than likely grab one of those or pick up a Target sports in the future.  My only compliant about the CZ-p09 (1k rounds thus far)
is the distance from the slide release lever.  Even with the small grips it is very difficult to reach with the firing side thumb, so I've practiced like crazy to use the support side thumb to drop the slide.  It works really well this way, especially given how large the lever is just took a lot of practice to get it up to speed.  
View Quote

I hear ya.

I cannot do a strong side thumb slide drop with ANY CZ, period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top