Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2012 3:31:11 PM EDT

Will a .40 S&W cal magazine fit a 9mm CZ-85B frame?  And assuming it will fit, can you load a .40 magazine with 9mm ammunition?  Will it feed properly?

Would someone please try this out for me?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it will fit the frame.

No, you cannot generally load 9mm into .40 mags. The feedlips are too wide; even if the rounds were retained at all, they would tend to unload themselves out of the mag without much provocation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes, it will fit the frame.

No, you cannot generally load 9mm into .40 mags. The feedlips are too wide; even if the rounds were retained at all, they would tend to unload themselves out of the mag without much provocation.

Correct, unless they are the new Mecgar AFC magazines with the blue follower.  They feed both .40 and 9mm just fine.  The last USPSA match I shot, my buddy and I shared magazines in Limited, he was shooting 9mm minor and I was shooting .40 major.  

You could not do this with the black follower magazines, just the new ones with the blue follower.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone is trying to circumvent Canadian 10 round magazine laws...perfectly legal way to do it if they feed correctly!
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
As it was here during the '94 magazine ban.  My P-01 came with 10 round magazines.  ProMag made a 10-round .40S&W mag (probably one of the few that worked) that would hold 14 rounds of 9mm.  Didn't even have to modify the feed lips.  Still using these mags all these years later without fail.  The work in my P-01 and my Compact .40 equally well.  

ProMag recently announced that they were discontinuing this particular magazine.

––
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top