Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 5:26:06 AM EDT
I have a chance to pick what I think in a model 1915 Savage 10 shot 32acp. Anyone own one/ how do they shoot? From what I gather the one I am looking at is rather rare.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has a Savage 32 that looks like the one in your photo.  Double stack magazine if I recall correctly.  His Savage had rudimentary sights but shot well.  I wish I owned one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
That is just a pic I pulled off the net. The one I am looking at has some pitting at the muzzle but really not anything else wrong with it. The rear cocking piece is enclosed so I think it's a 1915 of which the only made about 7000. Anyone else feel free to chime in please
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Go get it. It is a very underappreciated firearm. I wish the US Army would have adopted the 45 version.

Great guns. Low bore axis. 10 shots.  Very reliable

The only thing to watch out for if you take is apart is the sear.  They are somewhat soft and are easy to bend.

I would carry one without hesitation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Amyone know where to look for a magazine for one of these?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
That Savage is a wonderful pistol and one of only a handful that utilize a locked breech which improves bullet penetration.  The double stack 10 round magazine works with with design and the grip is small enough for the smaller hands of some women.  I have had mine for about 40 years and still no malfunctions.  It is a quality design and quality manufactured pistol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one Savage 1917 in .380 ACP for about a decade.  It had been parkerized before I got and handled well.  I remember getting a spare mag from Tom Forrest.  This was back in the late 80s.

CD
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If the price was reasonable I would buy it. I have a Savage 1917 in.32 acp and it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That Savage is a wonderful pistol and one of only a handful that utilize a locked breech which improves bullet penetration. The double stack 10 round magazine works with with design and the grip is small enough for the smaller hands of some women.  I have had mine for about 40 years and still no malfunctions.  It is a quality design and quality manufactured pistol.
View Quote
In a blow back pistol the bullet has left the muzzle before the case unseals from the chamber, due to the mass and inertia of the slide - that's what keeps them safe to shoot.  As such there isn't any pressure or velocity advantage in the locked breech design compared to a blow back design.

However, the delay in a locked breech design does spread the recoil over a longer time interval and makes a locked breech design more pleasant to shoot in any given comparison where pistol weight and cartridge are similar.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In a blow back pistol the bullet has left the muzzle before the case unseals from the chamber, due to the mass and inertia of the slide - that's what keeps them safe to shoot.  As such there isn't any pressure or velocity advantage in the locked breech design compared to a blow back design.

However, the delay in a locked breech design does spread the recoil over a longer time interval and makes a locked breech design more pleasant to shoot in any given comparison where pistol weight and cartridge are similar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That Savage is a wonderful pistol and one of only a handful that utilize a locked breech which improves bullet penetration. The double stack 10 round magazine works with with design and the grip is small enough for the smaller hands of some women.  I have had mine for about 40 years and still no malfunctions.  It is a quality design and quality manufactured pistol.

The following test includes a Boberg w 4" barrel and Sig 226 w/4.4" barrel.

Test report
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Test report
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  That Savage is a wonderful pistol and one of only a handful that utilize a locked breech which improves bullet penetration. The double stack 10 round magazine works with with design and the grip is small enough for the smaller hands of some women.  I have had mine for about 40 years and still no malfunctions.  It is a quality design and quality manufactured pistol.

Test report
 The SIG 226 is a locked breech pistol just as much as the Bond Arms/Boberg.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I might pick up since it has sat in the shop for months. I might be able to get it for $300 to $325. I also found that. triple K makes 7 round mags. I guess they don't use the factory design.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The SIG 226 is a locked breech pistol just as much as the Bond Arms/Boberg.
View Quote
And the rotating barrel locked breech has equal penetration with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  And the rotating barrel locked breech has equal penetration with a shorter barrel.
View Quote
You know you're citing a single picture of plywood in a promotional script written by the manufacturer, correct?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top