Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 12:37:33 PM EDT
My girlfriend recently sent me pictures of her grandfathers guns, and they would both like information on the pistols. Attached are all the pictures I was sent.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. They both know nothing, mainly he can't remember. But information on Dates, brands, caliber, anything i can get on them would be huge! Looking for those brownie points!
1 semi-auto and 1 revolver.
Thanks,
Semi-Auto

Revolver

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The top semi auto pistol is a Spanish Ruby 7.65/32 ACP and are fairly common but don't hold the value like Mausers, FN's, Beretta  or Lugers.  The revolver is a top break Iver Johnson which were very common in nickel finish in the early 1900's.  The Iver Johnson is probably a small caliber rimfire or a centerfire like 32 short Colt, or 38 S&W which should not be confused with 38 S&W Special (aka 38 Special Ctg).

I can not see the IJ well enough to determine which caliber it is chambered.

The Iver Johnson revolvers have very little appeal with low value but are neat family heirlooms.  I would not fire either handgun without first being inspected by a knowledgeable gun smith or collector.  

Maybe someone else more knowledgable will chime in.

Here is a link to a Ruby which was for sale that will give you some more info.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/942759952/Alkartasuna-Ruby-Automatic-32-ACP-Pistol-Spai.htm
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The Automatic, as said is a "Ruby"  made for France during WWI I believe.

The second is, as stated, an Iver Johnson breaktop.  It is built on a blackpowder "iron" frame

How to tell is the direction of the Owls Head.  Angled toward the trigger is a black powder frame not to be shot with modern ammo

If the Owl head is lined up straight down the grip it is made of steel and capable of shooting modern smokeless powder.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could find  Ruby that nice to add to my WW1 collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top