Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2016 1:17:32 AM EDT
Is it more of a Taurus quality....better.....worse.....very new to this company....

thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is somewhere around Taurus.  They might be better than that, might be worse, but they don't have the track record Glock has.  Seemingly good value for money.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I read the SCCY was a copy of the Kel-Tec P-11 with a more ergonomic frame.   I'd say the best comparison would be to a Kel-Tec.  I've never shot a SCCY but I used to carry a P-11 when my Department issued 5904's.  My P-11 was reliable but not the easiest gun to shoot because of the DAO trigger.  Big plus was the P-11 would accept the 14-15 round S&W 59/459/5904 mags.  I'm not sure if the SCCY mags are interchangeable with S&W.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
SIG 226 mags will fit in the Taurus PT 111.  I do not know if they feed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought two of them when they first hit the market, SKYY at that time.  Both were POS's.  Both broke and were sent back to the factory a couple of times.   After the last trip to the factory, they  simply went in the back of the safe.  I sold both without ever shooting them again.

When they worked, they were ok, 10 round mags in a compact frame, ergonomics were decent.  they shot straight., I simply did not trust them.

I have heard that they improved quality and that they are decent guns now, but I will not buy another one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a look at that barrel metallurgy on this SCCY

Avoid SCCY
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather have a KelTec or Taurus. But I own none of those because I prefer to spend a few more dollars and buy something of quality.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'd rather have a KelTec or Taurus. But I own none of those because I prefer to spend a few more dollars and buy something of quality.
View Quote

Please show pics of your 16" folded PCC that takes Glock mags.  Or your .22" WMR pistol.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Have a look at that barrel metallurgy on this SCCY
<a href="http://s667.photobucket.com/user/Dono_01/media/sccy001_zps5cczzqfb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/Dono_01/sccy001_zps5cczzqfb.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s667.photobucket.com/user/Dono_01/media/sccy002_zpspybjssiy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/Dono_01/sccy002_zpspybjssiy.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s667.photobucket.com/user/Dono_01/media/sccy003_zps8t9mxzev.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/Dono_01/sccy003_zps8t9mxzev.jpg</a>

Avoid SCCY
View Quote

W/o a back story, the pics are meaningless.  That looks like a squib followed by a non-squib, which will blow up any locked breech gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I never fired the one I had, it looked and felt like a better version of a Kel Tec P11, I liked the P11 I had it functioned 100%,sold the SCCY to fund some other gun, would like to buy another and actually fire it, the reading I did said the problems were with the CPX-1 and the new CPX-2 corrected the issues.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please show pics of your 16" folded PCC that takes Glock mags.  Or your .22" WMR pistol.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'd rather have a KelTec or Taurus. But I own none of those because I prefer to spend a few more dollars and buy something of quality.

I don't own either of those because I have no desire to own them. In this thread the OP specifically asked about a small 9mm handgun. I actually am interested in one of the KelTec .22 Mag carbines, whenever they eventually become available.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't own either of those because I have no desire to own them. In this thread the OP specifically asked about a small 9mm handgun. I actually am interested in one of the KelTec .22 Mag carbines, whenever they eventually become available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here you are:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=CMR
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one. I like it.  Warranty is the best out there.  There was a case where one was destroyed in a fire and they sent the owner a replacement at no cost.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have one. I like it.  Warranty is the best out there.  There was a case where one was destroyed in a fire and they sent the owner a replacement at no cost.
View Quote

How long have you owned it and approximately how many rounds?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here you are:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=CMR

$200 over MSRP

Not paying $800 for it. When they get to a reasonable price ($500ish) I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.....done looking at them.....thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
W/o a back story, the pics are meaningless.  That looks like a squib followed by a non-squib, which will blow up any locked breech gun.
View Quote

"The gun (an SCCY CPX-2) was purchased for the wife brand new and in the box. Yesterday morning at the range the wife asked him to shoot the brand new gun first. 27 rounds of factory 115 gr ammo went downrange with no problems.... #28 caused a cataclysmic failure resulting in a completely destroyed firearm. There had been no reloads, no squib load, no barrel obstruction, no problems at all.

Any firearm can break. Ours is a dangerous sport. A failure like this one can do much damage. SCCY was called and emailed this morning and has not replied as of an hour ago. The ammunition manufacturer has also been notified.

I am not condemning any firearms company or line of guns. I will post more as this situation develops.... Just do your research and be careful."

here is your story
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"The gun (an SCCY CPX-2) was purchased for the wife brand new and in the box. Yesterday morning at the range the wife asked him to shoot the brand new gun first. 27 rounds of factory 115 gr ammo went downrange with no problems.... #28 caused a cataclysmic failure resulting in a completely destroyed firearm. There had been no reloads, no squib load, no barrel obstruction, no problems at all.

Any firearm can break. Ours is a dangerous sport. A failure like this one can do much damage. SCCY was called and emailed this morning and has not replied as of an hour ago. The ammunition manufacturer has also been notified.

I am not condemning any firearms company or line of guns. I will post more as this situation develops.... Just do your research and be careful."

here is your story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  W/o a back story, the pics are meaningless.  That looks like a squib followed by a non-squib, which will blow up any locked breech gun.

here is your story

So no resolution whatsoever.  No brand of ammo either.  That would've been exciting.  The most excitement I've ever had is I flinched so bad on a 3" 00 load that I got a light primer strike.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...the reading I did said the problems were with the CPX-1 and the new CPX-2 corrected the issues.
View Quote

cpx1 & cpx2 are the same, 1 has a thumb safety & the other (2) does not.

The previous gen pistols have a horizontal pattern on the grip frame. I don't own either.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one and Tul ammo ripped the extractor out of it.

Sent it back, came back repaired, tested and put it away.

It's not a terrible gun but for $100 more get something better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I would take an SCCY over a Taurus any day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rolled the dice on a CPX 2 and took it to the range yesterday. Put about 130 rounds thorough it and not a hiccup. Functioned fine. Had the recoil spring retainer come apart but it doesn't effect function. It's a small plastic piece and they should use a metal piece but it just becomes a non captured set up like an old Glock I had. Going to shoot it some more before carrying it but the old stories from the Gen 1s seem to be taken care of for the most part.
View Quote

I had two Gen 1s.  The problems did not show up untill after several hundred rounds down range.

I hope they have all the issues worked out, for your sake.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up a cpx-2 in 2013. The machining and finish on them is very nice, better than most Taurus pistols for sure. They do have a plastic trigger and sights that seem pretty cheap. I have 300 or so rounds through mine so far and no problems. Mix of ammo both ball and HP 115g & 124 g. It is capable of some nice groups for a pistol this size. It does not share mags with S&W 59's or Kel tecs they seem the same except the location of the mag catch cuts.

For something to stash in a vehicle or cabin or GHB they are an OK choice. They can be had for $200. For an EDC or primary shooter they fall short and I would rather save up a while longer and get a name brand pistol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rolled the dice on a CPX 2 and took it to the range yesterday. Put about 130 rounds thorough it and not a hiccup. Functioned fine. Had the recoil spring retainer come apart but it doesn't effect function. It's a small plastic piece and they should use a metal piece but it just becomes a non captured set up like an old Glock I had. Going to shoot it some more before carrying it but the old stories from the Gen 1s seem to be taken care of for the most part.
View Quote

So, a brand new gun broke after 130 rounds?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#26]
so, what you are saying is that your SCCY...upgraded itself...yeah, that's it, upgraded, after 130 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
It really doesn't matter that the part is non-critical to the functionality of the gun, the fact that a part broke after 70 rounds pretty much confirms my impressions of the overall quality of SCCY firearms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it more of a Taurus quality....better.....worse.....very new to this company....

thanks
View Quote

Initially, I would have put SCCY at slightly better in quality than Taurus, but in light of the replies in this thread, I have to conclude that Taurus is a much higher quality manufacturer.  I have owned several Taurus handguns, and while a couple of them were truly awful guns (I have a  1st gen pt111 that literally has the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot), not one of them has had anything break after less than 100 rounds.  Heck, I think even my Kel-Tec PF9 managed to get through more than 4 boxes of ammo before breaking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Initially, I would have put SCCY at slightly better in quality than Taurus, but in light of the replies in this thread, I have to conclude that Taurus is a much higher quality manufacturer.  I have owned several Taurus handguns, and while a couple of them were truly awful guns (I have a  1st gen pt111 that literally has the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot), not one of them has had anything break after less than 100 rounds.  Heck, I think even my Kel-Tec PF9 managed to get through more than 4 boxes of ammo before breaking.
View Quote

To be fair to SCCY, there's no videos of police shaking their guns and them discharging spontaneously.  Have you called Taurus about the recall on the 1st Gen PT 111s?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To be fair to SCCY, there's no videos of police shaking their guns and them discharging spontaneously.  Have you called Taurus about the recall on the 1st Gen PT 111s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Initially, I would have put SCCY at slightly better in quality than Taurus, but in light of the replies in this thread, I have to conclude that Taurus is a much higher quality manufacturer.  I have owned several Taurus handguns, and while a couple of them were truly awful guns (I have a  1st gen pt111 that literally has the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot), not one of them has had anything break after less than 100 rounds.  Heck, I think even my Kel-Tec PF9 managed to get through more than 4 boxes of ammo before breaking.

But if I sent it in, I might not have the worse gun in the world anymore.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]
The Bad:

I wanted to like mine, I had nothing but issues. I researched it heavily, watched reviews, watched "torture tests"

It did not live up to my expectations at all. The front sight is friction fit and made out of polymer. It is prone to popping out of the gun. My rear sight also fell out on several occasions even after using loctite. Not to mention I kept having failure to extract even after parts were replaced personally. I even sent it back and still had issues.
The empty brass would just sit in the barrel... It didn't swell or anything either, it sorta just fell out once I locked back the slide and tilted the gun.

The Good:
It actually felt good in the hand, for DAO the trigger wasn't bad either. Recoil wasn't a problem. Also you can buy spare frames cheap since the trigger housing is serialized.

The warranty is also great, they will send you spare/replacement parts at no charge.

If you are going cheap. You are better off buying a Taurus PT111 Gen 2 or a Ruger LC9, at least its less of a gamble than the SCCY. Doesn't cost much more either. They took  a decent design and made some refinements on it's ergonomics. But it still feels like it's made cheap, also QC is a huge issue.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I wanted to like these but man is that grip fat. It feels like holding a 2x4. I had a Kel Tec and prefer it much more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
My buddy just bought one, I really wanted to like it but the grip was like holding a 1x3.  Worse than that was the trigger, long and heavy. He had multiple FTE per magazine with Magtech ammo, admittedly it was steel case and his HK P30 would not eject it either so I'll give it a pass on that.  It also had multiple FTF with all brands of ammo.  Lastly, 3/4 of each magazine were light primer strikes.  Maybe some ramp polishing or feed lip adjusting may cure part of that issue and a stronger spring may cure the rest, but a brand new gun should not have all these issues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#39]
looking at the metal where the barrel split, doesn't look very high quality...
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#40]
If the rest of them are indicative of the sample size of one I shot (owned by a friend)... it says how they rate right on the side. Sucky...
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

thanks
View Quote

Save yourself all the headaches and grief.
BUY A KAHR AND BE DONE WITH IT. Just about every size and caliber excluding the steel framed models can be had NIB for +/-  $325 just about anywhere. I am a big fan of Kahrs and have been shooting them for almost 2 decades. Finally had my first CS issue. A 15 year old 45 mag developed a small split at the top left side. Sent it back to Kahr and got a replacement, no charge.
Stand up company with a great product line.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I am not a gun snob and I am ALWAYS on the look out for something well made at a great price. I put in enough time at the range to see lots of budget guns appear and then disappear. I also get asked to help people when their guns malfunction, suffer parts breakages, etc. I do not own a Taurus or a SCCY for that very reason.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I wanted to like the SCCY

I seen all the reviews and "torture tests".

They have amazing customer service but do have their issues.

Mine kept having a failure to extract even after changing out the recoil spring, magazines, ejector, and the extractor.

Ended up selling it with full disclosure.

I'd buy a Ruger LC9/Keltec/Taurus instead.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a sales rep at a distributor that sells literally metric tons of SCCY pistols.  We have never had one come back with any kind of an issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I worked for a retail gun store and we sell a lot of PT-111's and SCCY pistols . I would buy a SCCY over a PT-111 in a second , We have lots of PT-111's returned to Taurus
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I first saw those photos posted by a guy known as Brownie on you tube who is a fairly well known SD instructor.  That  went kaboom with factory ammo with no squid involved.  Brownie  was right beside the individual when it went kaboom.  Fortunately only the pistol was harmed.  According to internet searches Brownie did apparently this happened several times within a range of serial numbers.  BTW Brownie hangs out on Defensive Carry forum and that's where I first saw it.

ETA - I just read further and saw the owner of the pistol tell the tale.  The photos I saw Brownie post looked like but there may be more than one kaboom here.  Brownies tale certainly involved the same color SCCY and the results sure look the same.

Another edit.  Just got through looking on DefensiveCarry and Brownie's photos have what look to be the same red Chevy PU and silver car in the background.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top