Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2016 8:31:40 PM EDT
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone on my newly purchased Steyr L9-A1. I've read many reviews on malfunctions due to weak extractor springs and faulty extractors. I was lucky enough to get to shoot an M9 last week and was extremely impressed with its flat shooting recoil characteristics and pyramid shape sights. So much so that I ignored all of the negative reviews and decided to purchase a L9-A1. Well after 950 rounds in 5 days with no malfunctions I'm very happy with my purchase. Just wanted to get a new opinion out there on what I believe to be the most unknown and underrated pistol. If you ever have a chance to shoot one do yourself a favor and do it.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a gen3 m9-a1, it has never failed to go bang or throw a casing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
M9-A1 owner here.  Hands down my favorite pistol to shoot and zero issues with reliability so far.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Since my first post I've shot 1,050 more rounds through the gun and it has been 100%. I've just ordered BTGuiderods striker spring, glide rite striker bushing, and non-captured guide rod with 14lb spring. I hope to give it all a run when they come in. Will post a review for you guys after.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since my first post I've shot 1,050 more rounds through the gun and it has been 100%. I've just ordered BTGuiderods striker spring, glide rite striker bushing, and non-captured guide rod with 14lb spring. I hope to give it all a run when they come in. Will post a review for you guys after.
View Quote

If it ain't broke, why "fix" it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I always put a couple thousand rounds through a gun before I change anything. I really like a 4-4.5lb trigger. I shoot the fastest and most accurate with that particular weight with all my guns. Also I like the timing of a 14lb spring with standard 115grain loads. Some will say don't change the parts but I can feel the difference when shooting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the handling characteristics of the L9-A1, BUT the trap sights have got to go.
Steyr have been little help in getting standard partridge sights. They do not return my phone calls or emails.
I know they make them and the Canadian models are imported with partridge sights.
And I know that Trijicon makes night sights.
I contacted dawson but they have no rear sight for Steyrs. The front for an XD will work but takes some fitting.

So if anyone has a source for a set of Steyr non-Trapezoid sights please let me know.
I may make my own Kydex for it but if anyone has a source for L9-A1 or M9-A1 holsters, I'd like to know too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It's probably just me but I love the sights. Was getting first round hits on an 8" steel plate holding the tip of the triangle at the bottom of the plate out until about 70yds. After that out to 85yds was around 3-6 shots. Prob pushing the limits of the mechanical accuracy of the gun at that distance. The tip of the front sight gives me more vision of my target at distance.

As for holsters I have a blade tech that I ordered directly from them. Also Raven makes a light holster for an M9-A1 that you can get with an extended threaded barrel option that I plan on heating up and pushing the L9-A1 into to make it fit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the holster info. I have not looked at holsters for over a year. I received this reply from Triicon today regarding plain sights.

Thank you for contacting Trijicon Inc. Other than a set of sights that were commissioned by GLOCK many years ago, we do not offer any sights without tritium.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any updates on your Steyr? The good, the bad, the ugly?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Another 850 rounds through it now. With the striker bushing and spring working great and a better trigger pull. With factory 115 grain ammo I prefer the stock recoil spring but with heavy slow hand loads the 14lb spring is flatter. Still no failures of any kind. Going shooting Tac Drills with it tomorrow should have another 250 rounds through it. Really loving this gun. My Glock and M&P are getting little use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting, Steyr is underrated.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the Steyr pistols and feel they are very under rated.  Initially I had issues with failure to extract out of my M357A1 but after I put a 1911 plunger spring inside the factory extractor spring it's been smooth sailing.  1700 rounds and counting.

Quoted:
I like the handling characteristics of the L9-A1, BUT the trap sights have got to go.
Steyr have been little help in getting standard partridge sights. They do not return my phone calls or emails.
I know they make them and the Canadian models are imported with partridge sights.
And I know that Trijicon makes night sights.
I contacted dawson but they have no rear sight for Steyrs. The front for an XD will work but takes some fitting.
View Quote

I agree.  I want a flat black rear sight like a Heinie and a fiber optic front.  Very frustrating that they only offer the trap sight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Same here with Steyr, no help getting traditional blade/u-notch sights set from the factory.  Ended up filing a left-over M&P front fiber optic to fit, still looking for the rear u-notch but the factory trapiz rear sight worked for now. POI is perfect for me at 25 yds.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The factory night sights are square notch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I want the compact, or subcompact.  Where can they be found? Buds has  full size only
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want the compact, or subcompact.  Where can they be found? Buds has  full size only
View Quote

Here is the item number for a C9 at Bud's
They show instock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
As a very happy owner of a Steyr S40, I agree with the OP - Steyr is under-rated and if you haven't shot one, do indulge yourself.  I bought my S40 second hand (though hardly "used") from a shop that does not carry Steyr, nor could tell me anything about it other than the fellow who traded it in "hated the sights".  I had already done my homework and had been considering a Steyr for some time.  I have always been a Sig guy.  I like exposed hammers and steel guns.  The S40 handles well, carries comfortably (Galco OWB holster) and has only had one failure due to intentional "limp wristing".  I find the trigger is excellent, smooth and the gun's fit and finish to be very good as well.

While I've come around slowly to "plastic guns", the shooting ergonomics of the Steyr keeps me picking it for carry duty over my 239SAS -- I simply shoot it more consistently than I do my Sig.  NOW, let's get someone interested in making threaded barrels for these guns!!

FWIW -- The failure of the extractor issues that some have mentioned were limited to a small run of guns, known to Steyr, and were recalled and repaired.  If you are unsure if your gun is affected call Steyr in Bessemer, AL, their CS is excellent.

Oh, and did I metion, Steyr makes a hell of a rifle, too?  I also happily feed my Steyr PIV a steady diet of handloaded .308s for middle-range sub MOA paper punching.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#20]
For those of you with Glocks AND Steyrs.....which do you prefer and why?  I am thinking of getting an L9 or an M9.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those of you with Glocks AND Steyrs.....which do you prefer and why?  I am thinking of getting an L9 or an M9.
View Quote

I have owned a Glock, I still own a Steyr.

In every way except sights and of course accessories I consider the M9 to be superior to the G17. Better trigger, way better ergonomics. Full length frame rails. Reliability for me has been 100%. Looks a little better too in my opinion, except for that Sigma style trigger guard.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Did you stipple that OP? looks good. I put Talon grips on mine.

I also just got an L9A1 after seeing an L40A1 used with an incredible trigger.

Pros: long sight radius,  ergonomic mag and slide stop location, nice grip angle.  easy takedown and reassembly
intuitive front sight triangle. Good accuracy nice looks ,  sturdy steel chassis makes it feel like a battlefield weapon.
100% reliable over 250 so far.  priced well below a Glock Gen 4
No right side slide stop, I am a righty so that is good for me
Outstanding trigger and full Glock method of operation.

Cons: no trigger job info available yet, custom springs would be needed to lighten further.
This alone makes it more of a tactical gun than target.  Mags are $30+
No aftermarket per se except Trijicon or Truglo TFX sights and Talon grips.
Frame has smooth slippery areas.   Horizontal stripes on backstrap are not Grippy. Frontstrap even less grippy
Mag followers catch the slide so I had to bevel every follower on the back corner so the slide can go forward on an empty mag.
Brass kind of dribbles out , some hit my forehead. No FTE though.

Overall I kind of prefer it to my VP9  and it was not expensive, but its not objectively better than a Glock Gen 4 with trigger job and better sights.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I've tried....A lot to love this platform.  For years.

I'll never buy a Steyr pistol again.  Years of problems with extractors, mag springs....Just continual problems with failure.  

I called them weeks ago and they never called back.....So be cautious.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Glock 19 which has never had one issue.

I have a Steyr M9A1 and Steyr M40A1 which have had constant issues with failures, shooting brass directly into my face, and complete confusion as to what parts I should have installed to fix these issues.  I have e-mailed and called them with conflicting resolutions previously and recently absolutely no response.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've tried....A lot to love this platform.  For years.

I'll never buy a Steyr pistol again.  Years of problems with extractors, mag springs....Just continual problems with failure.  

I called them weeks ago and they never called back.....So be cautious.
View Quote

Which pistol was this the M40 or the M9 also when was it purchased?

Edit: never mind didn't see you posted twice, whoops!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top