Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2015 10:03:41 PM EDT
I was just goofing around. Decided to pop one of my extended BHP mags into the SCCY and...it clicked in place! I filled it up with snap caps, and the first try, IT FED!

Granted, there's enough up and down play in the mag catch that it can be pushed up until the breech catches against the back face of the mag, and if you tug down on the mag it  drops too low to pick-up the rounds. But...but...there's plenty of space on the mag catch to engineer something to work. I'm going to have to commission someone with a CNC mill or a metal 3D-printer to make me a new mag catch, that or buy a spare from SCCY and epoxy a bit of brass on the topside of the ledge of the catch. I'm pretty sure the follower will even engage the slide lock.

This makes me so excited. :3  With Pearce +2 extensions the Mec-Gar 15-round BHP mags hold 18-19 rounds. This gun just got a lot more interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was just goofing around. Decided to pop one of my extended BHP mags into the SCCY and...it clicked in place! I filled it up with snap caps, and the first try, IT FED!

Granted, there's enough up and down play in the mag catch that it can be pushed up until the breech catches against the back face of the mag, and if you tug down on the mag it  drops too low to pick-up the rounds. But...but...there's plenty of space on the mag catch to engineer something to work. I'm going to have to commission someone with a CNC mill or a metal 3D-printer to make me a new mag catch, that or buy a spare from SCCY and epoxy a bit of brass on the topside of the ledge of the catch. I'm pretty sure the follower will even engage the slide lock.

This makes me so excited. :3  With Pearce +2 extensions the Mec-Gar 15-round BHP mags hold 18-19 rounds. This gun just got a lot more interesting.
View Quote

where in MI are you?  I wanna try one of these CPX's out
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ann Arbor. I just discovered this tonight, I'm going to have to order the parts in question and wait for them to be delivered. Going to call Monday, see how much SCCY wants for some new mag catches. I figure I'll be able to make this modification with some qwik-steel epoxy. Original mag catch ledge is going to have to be filed off entirely, thiss will render it incapable of accepting normal SCCY mags.

The first two photos are the case height and mag catch hole of the SCCY magazine. Second two photos are of the Mec-Gar BHP 15-round magazine. The BHP magazine sits the round lower than the SCCY but there is still plenty of exposed case rim for the breech to catch. The mag catch looks like I just need to build-up some of that steel epoxy in the upper corner of the mag catch and file it to shape as a ledge, perhaps form a lower ledge as well to prohibit over-insertion as the BHP magazine will go in high enough to block the breech face with the mag body.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Snafu #1

SCCY will not ship any replacement parts whatsoever to individual customers. They will ship the parts to a FFL holder, but not to the individual, even a pair of magazine catches. Das ist interessant...nicht!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Snafu #1

SCCY will not ship any replacement parts whatsoever to individual customers. They will ship the parts to a FFL holder, but not to the individual, even a pair of magazine catches. Das ist interessant...nicht!
View Quote

Unlike Kel-tec, who will send you just about any part short of the serialized one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unlike Kel-tec, who will send you just about any part short of the serialized one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snafu #1

The mag catches are on their way. SCCY's service is superb even if quirky.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just an update, bumping so people know its been updated

Another magazine that has the potential to be more reliable are the CZ-75/85 magazines. The magazine firmly apexes in the magwell with the rim of the cartridge resting nicely against the ejector. The same thing needs to be done to the mag catch as with the BHP magazines, but the new ledge needs to be built-up about 1.5-2mm lower than the upper edge of the mag catch. The dish at the top of the magazine's backface gives plenty of clearance for the breech to pick-up a round.

Downside? The way the mag catch is designed on the CPX, the slide stop engages before picking-up the last round. So you need to mentally download each magazine by one round. But, take the Mec-Gar 19-round mags, that's still 18 rounds, close to double factory capacity, and arguably those mags are more reliable than my jury-rigged Pearce-extended 18/19 round mags for the BHP.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I might go this route instead. But I requested two new mag catches, I'll try out both versions when they come in, most likely I'd stick with the CZ pattern over the BHP.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't change parts INSIDE the pistol, only modify other mags;

on the SCCY forum there's a guy that modds Ruger P95 mags (cuts new holez)
I'd go that way instead of modifying the pistol, otherwise factory mags won't work
correct, and that's the bottom line.

why did you buy a compact pistol, even if it only holds 10 rounds? if you want
hi cap mags, carry a gun that's made to work with hi caps?

I don't know, i guess to each his own.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't change parts INSIDE the pistol, only modify other mags;

on the SCCY forum there's a guy that modds Ruger P95 mags (cuts new holez)
I'd go that way instead of modifying the pistol, otherwise factory mags won't work
correct, and that's the bottom line.

why did you buy a compact pistol, even if it only holds 10 rounds? if you want
hi cap mags, carry a gun that's made to work with hi caps?

I don't know, i guess to each his own.
View Quote

I like magazine compatibility. The mag release changes out easily enough, and as stated earlier, I have extra magazine catches on the way so I'm not going to permanently remove the ability to use the original mags. Those are in fact the mags I will carry the gun with. This is just so that I can use it with my shtf rigs and have mag compatibility with my primary gtw pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top