Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 7:58:47 PM EDT
So in my brilliance at a local gun store I decided that a Intratec Tec-9 would be a really cool range "screw around" gun and since it was basically unfired and came with a lot of accessories I bought it. Now I have not yet had a chance to shoot it but I keep reading EVERYWHERE that this thing jams like there is no tomorrow. Some people insist that this happens because people are using non-nato spec rounds or loads that are too cold for the direct blowback action to cycle with. I was planning on using bottom of the barrel Tul ammo in this thing, do you guys predict that I will have a problem or should it work reasonably well?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They work well on Miami vice reruns.

Really, only saw one at the range.  I remember it ran really well, since the guys shooting it were dumping the mags quick.   But they only brought 100 rds, and that went in about 8.7 minutes.

Only a fair chance of success with the tul ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really, only saw one at the range.  I remember it ran really well, since the guys shooting it were dumping the mags quick.   But they only brought 100 rds, and that went in about 8.7 minutes.

View Quote

Wideners sells tons of Israeli 9mm +P ammo for cheap.  Since you are invested already, I'd get an order together
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
i bought one a few years back because since i was a kid and saw jack burton with one i always wanted one. mine came with three mags. one was a factory mag but beat to shit and the others were aftermarket. i had some jams once in a while but got it running 100%. what i did was polish the feed ramp with a dremel buffer and some flitz and bought a bunch of real mags for it. it eats everything now including cheap tulla/wolf steel
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my recollection, the bad guys in Miami Vice always favored mini-uzis.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i bought one a few years back because since i was a kid and saw jack burton with one i always wanted one. mine came with three mags. one was a factory mag but beat to shit and the others were aftermarket. i had some jams once in a while but got it running 100%. what i did was polish the feed ramp with a dremel buffer and some flitz and bought a bunch of real mags for it. it eats everything now including cheap tulla/wolf steel
View Quote

Yep, sounds like a fun project gun if you didn't pay too much for it. The Columbine killers had one, jammed too much so they used a shotgun instead.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice with the feed ramp polishing! Easy enough to do and I was thinking of doing it anyway, also ordered some of that ammo that was mentioned. I think I got a fairly good deal as it's a real tech-9 not one of the California or late model ones. Came with 3 factory mags and the shroud extension, cost me 375$.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one simply to "have one". I did something similar to endofdays and I polished the feed ramp with my dremel buffing cone attachment as well. I can't say it did much for mine, I think the culprit in these guns are their magazines.

I have a few factory mags in various conditions and a few aftermarket mags (promags I think). Some of them work pretty well, others misfeed constantly. I marked my "bad" mags with tape and don't use them... can't bring myself to throw them away though.

I honestly don't shoot the thing that much, it is more or less a collectible boat anchor safe queen for me. I got it for so cheap that I don't mind it just sitting there taking up a slot in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I've only seen one once at a range. Jamming up was the only thing it seemed to do reliably. The shooter was a tool too.
I hope you have better results and will just guess you're not of the "gangbanger" type I saw that day.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
the mags made a world of difference for mine. the site is blocked at work but iirc it waas ftf industries that makes factory mags. if im  right about the site it says they bought the plans to make the oem ones. good luck and happy plinking. btw i got mine for 300 otd and its pretty accurate believe it or not
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've only seen one once at a range. Jamming up was the only thing it seemed to do reliably. The shooter was a tool too.
I hope you have better results and will just guess you're not of the "gangbanger" type I saw that day.

Cheers!
-JC
View Quote

I'm most certainly not a gangbanger lol! My usual guns are an Armalite M15 national match and a SCAR-H, this thing I just bought for fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remember to make sure your ass is showing, one hand is on your junk and the other shooting the gun sideways. I also believe you are required to yell "CHECK YO SELF FOO!!" before a mag dump. Also for added accuracy the gun should be above your sight plane while sideways and should come down in a stabbing motion with every shot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Haters gonna hate. Mine runs great. I'm far from a gang banger and everyone loves shooting it
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one that fed reliably and using a sling pushing it out, it wasn't too shabby in the accuracy department.  I did sell it though when I found that it is capable of firing out of battery.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Did it come with an NWA album?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the mags made a world of difference for mine. the site is blocked at work but iirc it waas ftf industries that makes factory mags. if im  right about the site it says they bought the plans to make the oem ones. good luck and happy plinking. btw i got mine for 300 otd and its pretty accurate believe it or not
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:51:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Haha! These comments are all assuring me I picked out a fun and interesting little gun!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The predecessor to the CZ Scorpion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Find out what it likes and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally got to shoot it today, good news is the mags both  fed perfectly and there were no fails to feed or eject! Bad news is I'm convinced this gun does not have any idea how to properly strike a primer, I was getting unreasonably excited when the gun would fire more than 2 shots without a light strike lol!

At one point I finally just said "screw it" proceeded as was recommended and loaded a whole mag and shouted "check yo self" as I fired the whole mag in a stabbing action........unbelievably the whole 32 round mag fired flawlessly! What the heck!?!!?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Finally got to shoot it today, good news is the mags both  fed perfectly and there were no fails to feed or eject! Bad news is I'm convinced this gun does not have any idea how to properly strike a primer, I was getting unreasonably excited when the gun would fire more than 2 shots without a light strike lol!

At one point I finally just said "screw it" proceeded as was recommended and loaded a whole mag and shouted "check yo self" as I fired the whole mag in a stabbing action........unbelievably the whole 32 round mag fired flawlessly! What the heck!?!!?
View Quote

Why the hell is everyone so damn surprised when my advice works?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just shocked! I was using proper form and slow fire pistol trigger control up to that point but for some insane reason it worked. I have a new striker spring and firing pin (modern steel) on order that I hope will fix the thankfully few problems this things has.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Update, took the gun completely apart. The previous owner had clearly never once even field striped the gun and I noted massive carbon fouling along the rods the bolt travels down. The fit of parts was.......well let's just say my makarov is far better put together.

I also happened to find the issue with the light primer strikes, the striker spring is so freaking soft it barely takes ANY force to move the striker all the way back. I have .22s with more hammer force than this thing!

Plan at this point is to do a preliminary test by adding a small metal cylinder over the striker rod to pre compress the spring as much as possible without binding. If this improves the light strike problem I will order a spring with 2x whatever I calculate the current spring rate to be. Also gonna install a proper hardened steel firing pin. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#25]
From what I understand, because I too wanted one for a short time, and did a decent bit of research, the jams people experience are from pressure being put on the magazine well, or using aftermarket magazines. All things being equal I would much rather have a Masterpiece Arms MAC clone, or their new one compatible with glock extendo-mag cip-o-zeens.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Haters gonna hate. Mine runs great. I'm far from a gang banger and everyone loves shooting it
View Quote
this

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine never jammed or had a miss feed for about 150 rounds, just light strikes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I am amazed at this talk of unreliability and light primer strikes.

Back in the day, late 1980s, I shot one which belonged to a friend.  I used the Egyptian 9mm which was available at that time.  Subgun ammo, it had incredibly hard primers, and more than a few pistols simply wouldn't strike the primer hard enough to set it off.  But no problems in this thing!  It shot just fine.

Can't say anything good about any other aspect than it's reliability.  But it was reliable.  Since I had been shooting corrosive ammunition, my friend literally sprayed it down with a water hose before cleaning it in more conventional fashion.  I know of another half a dozen shooting sessions it went through, and it was reliable even with a variety of decent ball ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So in my brilliance at a local gun store I decided that a Intratec Tec-9 would be a really cool range "screw around" gun and since it was basically unfired and came with a lot of accessories I bought it. Now I have not yet had a chance to shoot it but I keep reading EVERYWHERE that this thing jams like there is no tomorrow. Some people insist that this happens because people are using non-nato spec rounds or loads that are too cold for the direct blowback action to cycle with. I was planning on using bottom of the barrel Tul ammo in this thing, do you guys predict that I will have a problem or should it work reasonably well?
View Quote

I use one when I play Counter Strike - Global Offensive.

Never had it jam on me yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one for a while, mine was ok with some mags, terrible with others. Nobody could quite figure out what the difference was between them, but nothing we tried made a bad mag any good. I bought it because a friend of mine had one that shot anything you put in it as fast as you could pull the trigger. My bad mags made his gun have problems, and his good mags made my gun shoot pretty well, but not perfect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a copy of its little brother, the Scorpion .22. It was the same pistol built around a Ruger 10/22 action, even used 10/22 25 or 50 round mags. It had a four inch threaded barrel with a threaded nut on the end of the barrel. The dang thang ran like a top at first but after a bit decided to double and triple and even go full auto, just not on command. Sent it back on a recall notice and once back was a fun range gun. Surprisingly accurate. I sold it the weekend before the 94 ban took place.

That was one I wish I had back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#32]
My buddy brought one to the range and the ONLY time it ran was when we shot the thing sideways, gangsta style. Not even kidding.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Two of my friends own Tec-9s and both run well with factory magazines.  Do not put pressure on the magazine when firing i.e. don't hold the mag, hold the gun/mag well.  One of the guys is a gunsmith (Colorada gunsmith school) and worked on both guns; he polished up the internals and replaced some springs, not sure what else was done to the guns.  Do not drop it, they tend to crack where the pistol grip meets the reciever.  

Being a fan of cheesy 80's movies I still want one.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#34]
The one you want is the open bolt one, or so they said in a Gun Digest article I read once.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Sold a few back in the day... Open bolts. Refused to carry in stock. Would order if someone paid up front.
RPB, Cobray, MAC type is much more reliable. In either Open or Closed Bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top