Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2015 6:02:50 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a Hi Power kind of as a remembrance of my dad. It was the one gun I distinctly remember how fond he was of them. He didn't have one when he died to inherit, so I'd like to get one sort of in his memory. Saying all that, I can't afford the real deal, and I think a good clone would be ok with the old man.

I found this FEG, but I can't figure the dang thing out for the life of me. It says it was imported by Kassnar Imports Inc. instead of KBI. I've read that Kassnar Imports was the father's business and went under in 1989, and the son continued with KBI. Considering that, I figured it had to be pre '89, however, it has the modified slide lock, which I think mostly came later. From what I've read they did some screwy stuff so it's hard to identify anything from FEG, let alone adding the Kassnar/KBI group to it, but I'm at a loss with this one. Also, I don't know if the grips are factory or aftermarket, I'd probably replace them with a more traditional wood. The finish isn't superb, but not completely horrible (plus I was thinking of having it cerokoted later). I don't know if you can read the serial, but it is F 231** on barrel and slide (I didn't get it off the frame unfortunately). Here's some pics.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks fine. It's an FEG PJK-9HP imported by Kassnar. What's the question?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Look for Decoding the FÉG Hi-Power by Jerry Paregien on Amazon. Well worth the 99¢ Kindle download.

Sorry, couldn't find a working link.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks fine. It's an FEG PJK-9HP imported by Kassnar. What's the question?
View Quote

Sorry, was trying to figure out where about when it might have been made I guess. The importing company timeline with the slide lock confused me. Another question, since it has the modified slide lock, it should interchange with most HP parts besides slide and barrel, correct? They have it priced at $299, but I think I can talk them down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
that is a Hi-Power.  all Browning parts are a direct swap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

From my understanding there were several iterations of the FEG. One was a direct copy, one was modified with a more S&W style slide stop, and one that used S&W style internals rather than BHP. Here's the BHP slide stop for comparison.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought I read where the FEG Hi Power with the oval in the frame just behind the slide catch pin had interchangeable parts with FN Hi Powers.   The other Hungarian  Hi Powers are not exact copies of the FN Hi Powers.

This picture of the FEG on gunbroker has a picture showing the oval in the frame in photo 6.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514111183
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
He has the oval
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Your right I didn't see the oval till I zoomed the photo.  I'd sure be tempted!
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I know they have had it a while. On Saturday they have a deal that I can get 17% off which should get it to almost $250. I was thinking about lowballing at $200 and see if we can meet at $225. Do you guys know anything about the grips, if they are aftermarket or not?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From my understanding there were several iterations of the FEG. One was a direct copy, one was modified with a more S&W style slide stop, and one that used S&W style internals rather than BHP. Here's the BHP slide stop for comparison.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/world-firearms/160299d1291448611-browning-hi-power-pb152837.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/world-firearms/160299d1291448611-browning-hi-power-pb152837.jpg

The one in the OP is a hi power copy. It has an extended slide stop lever which FEG has on some but it will work with a standard Hi Power slide stop lever just fine. When it was introduced or whether it is original or added later I couldn't tell you. For $225-250, yeah, I'd buy it.

The P9R I think was what the S&Wish model was called.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The one in the OP is a hi power copy. It has an extended slide stop lever which FEG has on some but it will work with a standard Hi Power slide stop lever just fine. When it was introduced or whether it is original or added later I couldn't tell you. For $225-250, yeah, I'd buy it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so the slide stop looks legit for a BHP? I thought it looked different than what I was used to. I thought they were longer with that front flip up part towards the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Grips are Pachmeyr. You also see they had been put on a lot of the FEGs Gary Cole imported because the original grips were in may cases worn out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok, so the slide stop looks legit for a BHP? I thought it looked different than what I was used to. I thought they were longer with that front flip up part towards the muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, at least mostly. They changed the style at some point but it should be interchangeable, or close to it (some minor fitting may be needed).
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#14]
it's a good enough gun as it is.  Order some cheap BROWNING springs for it from Brownells and shoot the snot out of it.  If you are up to refinishing it.  My user name on YOUTUBE is Snake Doc.  I refinished one of these with DuraCoat DuraBlue.  They are dead simple to detail strip and reassemble.  Enjoy it.  Mags are cheap too from Brownells and Numrich.  Sub $20 each most times
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an update, I ended up not getting it. The guy at the pawn shop didn't want to negotiate and then said the sale this weekend didn't apply to firearms after he had told me it did. He pissed me off in the process so I left. Maybe I'll see if they have it in another month or so, tjehve already had it for around 6 months at this point.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, you are not missing much.  I sold mine after refinishing and one range trip.  They feel good in the hand but SA only is ridiculous and that tiny safety sux.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Honestly, you are not missing much.  I sold mine after refinishing and one range trip.  They feel good in the hand but SA only is ridiculous and that tiny safety sux.
View Quote

I'll probably still end up with one eventually, I just didn't want to deal with a jerk to get it. The gun was in remembrance of my dad, and that would have pissed him off too so I walked from that deal. There were tons of these things imported, it isn't the only one out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top