Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2015 10:00:29 AM EDT
Stopped by the LGS Saturday.  The had a very slightly used Stoeger Couger in the case.  Since they only wanted $215 for it I figured why not.  

Took it out Sunday and ran 100 rounds of assorted 9mm thru it.  I must say I was impressed.  Far and away the best $200 pistol I've ever bought.  Reliable, decently accurate, operating drill identical to the Beretta 92 (which I also own).  Fits Glock and Sig holsters reasonably well.  Kind of an odd brand, but I like this thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You know the Stoeger Cougar is a Beretta design,  think I read Stoeger is now owned by Beretta.   A local PD issued this pistol in 40 a few years ago.  If I remember correctly the Cougar uses a rotating barrel lock design and the slide has more bulk (width) than other locked breach duty size pistols.  The Officers weren't critical of the pistol but eventually convinced new Chief to let the Officers carry their own firearm of choice.  Most seemed to Carry 1911's, Glock and a couple Sig's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC Beretta shipped all the Cougar tooling over to Stoeger (which they do own) for them to start production on Cougars.

If I ever come across one in good shape I'd like to pick one up too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Stoeger is part of the Beretta empire and they shipped all the Beretta 8000 machinery to Turkey.  Supposedly the Cougar is standard issue for the Turkish Armed Forces.  

It's a tad bulky but no worse than the Beretta.  I'd never have considered it except for the price.  Kind of lucked out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
When did Beretta buy Stoeger?  I sell a few of these.  Nice weight for a range gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When did Beretta buy Stoeger?  I sell a few of these.  Nice weight for a range gun.
View Quote

Within the last ten years.  Don't recall exactly when.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a good buy. If I could find one of those for that price I'd jump on it. I've had the new and old 9mm ones (railed vs unrailed) and they're all good shooters, keep changing them into other guns and having a mild case of regret when I do. The only thing I don't like about them is the last one I had, you could buff off the coating on the slide using a rag, gun oil, and light pressure. That being said, with the money you're saving on it, you can get it cerakoted and it doesn't mechanically effect the pistol.

Congrads on the buy, that's a pretty killer price.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an 8045 with a rail and would like to have an 8000 with a rail too.
The .45 is nice gun.
Good score OP.

Any leads would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#9]
An 8040 was my first handgun. I wish I still had it.

Pick up some replacement springs from Wolff. The Turks are superb machinists but their springs suck like you can't imagine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll be honest here, and paid 376 out the door at the bx on eglin 6 years ago.. Mine is a 9.

I could never find one used, but let me tell you..

I LOVE IT!! For what it is, mine is not for sale, it's an awesome piece to me. I can put 15 rounds into a fist size hole as fast as I can pull the trigger, even with the dual action first pull at 7 yards.. The dual action softens up the more you pull it..

Shoot it and in my experience it just gets more accurate!

Great buy. But even at full price you can't get hurt for what that gun is capable of..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top