Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 9:09:42 PM EDT
Just curious why the STEYR M and L-A-1 semi autos remain in relative obscurity. I'm incredibly impressed at how well they are made and how well designed they are. The trigger on STEYR's striker action handguns is nothing short of remarkable. Even the sight system is impressive, once you learn how to use it properly.

Just curious.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious why the STEYR M and L-A-1 semi autos remain in relative obscurity. I'm incredibly impressed at how well they are made and how well designed they are. The trigger on STEYR's striker action handguns is nothing short of remarkable. Even the sight system is impressive, once you learn how to use it properly.

Just curious.

Thoughts?
View Quote

expensive gun and expensive mags
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Thoughts?

+1
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Expensive gun?
Nope. That's not true at all. I just got my STEYR L-A1 for $547. A new Glock 17 Gen 4 from Buds is $555.

Expensive mags?
A bit pricey, but nothing like über expensive pistol magazines for other handguns.

So, wrong. Not the reason.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Random product availability (guns/magazines) and almost non-existent company support is why it took me a while to buy one and poor customer service is why I sold my C-A1 shortly after buying one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When did you buy your's? Had STEYR opened their USA facility yet?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Early 2014 and yes, they're facility was up and running.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Expensive gun?
Nope. That's not true at all. I just got my STEYR L-A1 for $547. A new Glock 17 Gen 4 from Buds is $555.

Expensive mags?
A bit pricey, but nothing like über expensive pistol magazines for other handguns.

So, wrong. Not the reason.

View Quote

Mag price still stands.

Joe bob ain't gonna buy a "steyr" (a company he's never heard of, with 50$ + mags) when he can get a glock (who he has heard a lot about, and has cheap mags)

Also take into account that steyr marketing sucks
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude...the magazines are NOT $50 plus.

I got mine for $35 each, the 17 rounders for the L-A1.

I think total lack of marketing may have a thing or two to do with it. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Factory 15rd mags are available for $25 retail from CDNN...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a good point.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just sayin'...

Forrest
View Quote

Are they consistently available at that price?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a M9-A1 from Cabelas before the discontinued carrying them in late 2013. I picked it up for $439, but previously they were $479. I also picked up two spare Steyr factory mags from CDNN for $25 each. I love shooting it, and the ergos and trigger are really nice. My theory about their relative obscurity is the lack of marketing/sales dealers and product support by Steyr for the US market. You can't get ANY replacement parts from Steyr. They don't sell them. They will send you an extractor if you email them in Alabama at their office and explain the FTE issues that are common with earlier guns. It's also increasingly hard to find any dealers who stock them. It seems like the US market just isn't a high priority for the company.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Yes, I just bought two spare mags from them in May.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Well, i stand corrected.

Its only steyr's abysmal marketing thats to blame
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#16]
They got hit hard by the AWB.  They had just come into the US, and arguably had built a better Glock than Glock had.  Then all the sudden you could only have them w/ 10 round magazines.  Glock had been here for awhile, so while standard sized mags went sky-high, you could still get them.  So Glock survived, and Steyr had to rebuild after 2004.  Given how anti-import our gun legislation is, they haven't bothered to try to compete.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Buyer ignorance!  Exactly, 'Why' doesn't matter.  

(Steyr makes a better combat pistol than Glock, though; and, yes, the sights - though different from what most people are used to - do work well once you get use to them!)
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a good gun
I bought mine earlier this year for $450 from Buds shipped. But I'm not paying anywhere near $550 for one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you buy a L-A1 for that price?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did you buy a L-A1 for that price?
View Quote

I bought both the L9A1, and M9A1, the new models, yes. Just 6 months ago, they were $440-$460 shipped.

But no way I am paying over $500 for one. I like them, and I can swap mags between the L and M models, and the grip is fantastic. Trigger is decent. It's about on par with a Glock with better reset. But, I'll stick to my PPQ, VP9 and CZ's.

The problem is that there are so many competitive handguns out there now, it's really hard to justify spending that much on one when you can buy a TP9 V2 for $330 with mags being around $25, and used Gen 4 Glocks for $400-$450 or less. Yes, I understand not everyone is into Glocks, Walthers, and Turkish guns, but guns that don't sell as well, have less parts, aftermarket support, customer service, etc, need to reflect that into price to attract new buyers.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They got hit hard by the AWB.  They had just come into the US, and arguably had built a better Glock than Glock had.  Then all the sudden you could only have them w/ 10 round magazines.  Glock had been here for awhile, so while standard sized mags went sky-high, you could still get them.  So Glock survived, and Steyr had to rebuild after 2004.  Given how anti-import our gun legislation is, they haven't bothered to try to compete.
View Quote

Ah, that would make sense.  Victims of unfortunate timing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one, an M9. I really like it, the trigger is superb and it fits my hand way better than any glock I have tried.

But to be honest the only reason why I have it is because I was intending to pick up a VP9 but the shop I was in was fresh out of those. They did have a few Steyrs. They were well over $100 cheaper than the VP with magazines I could actually afford.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a VP9, tried it, sold it. No big deal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Thoughts?

The mags may be a little more expensive than some, but are no more expensive than factory Sig or CZ P-07/ 09. As for the guns, the shop here in town has the L, M, C, models  for $525
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a VP9, tried it, sold it. No big deal.
View Quote

No big deal, eh?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Precisely: the VP9 is no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Precisely: the VP9 is no big deal.
View Quote

I bet Steyr wished they they could sell half as many pistols as HK sold VP9's.

Full disclosure:  I own neither.  Both are somewhat interesting to me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is a good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good point.

I think the marketing is a part of it but they seem to have been ramping up the marketing efforts as of late though they still need to improve.  

Steyr has a great product on their hands.  I bought an M9A1 once they made the move to Bessemer, Al since I grew up in the area and wanted a pistol with "Bessemer" on the side.  Seriously, that's the whole reason.  I ended up loving the pistol.  I have taken it to the range with some local PD and they have thus far all liked it more than their Glocks.  

I spoke with Steyr's CEO when I picked up the M9A1 and it seemed like they were also working on stocking up on their spare parts and he showed me a large inventory area in the warehouse where they were keeping rows upon rows of various parts.

lately there have also been more options when it comes to holsters.  Overall I am very happy with my Steyr.  I'm about 800 or so rounds through it so far and zero hiccups.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Steyr M9 is a fine pistol. My only gripe is that he trigger reset is not stronger and more forceful as I am use to shooting a Glock with a 3.5 lb trigger. The Steyr trigger is excellent. Mine is a generation 3 which does not have a roll pin under the rear sight which the current 4th generation pistols do which is suppose to improve the trigger further. I'd like to get my hands on a 4th Gen

Generation 1: Pistols manufactured between 1999-2002 are marked M9/S9 on slide, and may or may not have manual safety. They feature the “old style” grip pattern, including a proprietary rail system.

Generation 2:  Pistols manufactured between 2002-2006 are marked M9-A1/S9-A1.  They feature a new grip style, which includes a picatinny rail system.  They do not have a roll pin under the rear sight.  These pistols were sold by CDNN, and they have the “old-style” extractor.

Generation 3: Pistols manufactured between 2009-2011 are marked M9-A1/S9-A1. They feature a new grip style and do not have a roll pin under the rear sight. They were imported by Steyr USA, and feature the new style extractor.

Generation 4: Pistols manufactured from 2011 to the present are marked M9-A1/S9-A1.  They feature the new grip pattern, and have the roll pin under the rear sight.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-steyr-m9a1/
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm with you OP.  I bought my L9-A1 last year and it is one of my favorite pistols.  I had owned most of the common polymer pistols and was really looking for something a little different and off the beaten path.  I love this gun.  I think I paid the above stated prices for mine which came with 17 rounders.  I've since bought several 15rd mags from CDNN.  Yes, they are the only ones reliably and regularly selling them but they range from $20-25 from them and they make great range mags if you don't want to beat up the pricier 17-rounders.  Both are the same MecGar factory-made and superb quality (much like Sig's new blued MecGar mags).  Quality mags are well worth it IMHO.

To answer your question, I think they are not more well known or spotlighted because there aren't that many of these around and Steyr does not do a good job of advertising that they are in the Handgun business.  These guns may never be as popular as the big names but people don't know what they're missing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm with you OP.  I bought my L9-A1 last year and it is one of my favorite pistols.  I had owned most of the common polymer pistols and was really looking for something a little different and off the beaten path.  I love this gun.  I think I paid the above stated prices for mine which came with 17 rounders.  I've since bought several 15rd mags from CDNN.  Yes, they are the only ones reliably and regularly selling them but they range from $20-25 from them and they make great range mags if you don't want to beat up the pricier 17-rounders.  Both are the same MecGar factory-made and superb quality (much like Sig's new blued MecGar mags).  Quality mags are well worth it IMHO.

To answer your question, I think they are not more well known or spotlighted because there aren't that many of these around and Steyr does not do a good job of advertising that they are in the Handgun business. These guns may never be as popular as the big names but people don't know what they're missing.
View Quote

I agree that not many people know about them and the advertising can use a good boost.  People still think hunting rifles or AUGs when they think Steyr.  I was able to attend an event this past weekend at Steyr's US facility and was told that the sales volume of the pistols has grown and new holster options have popped up with Alien Gear and Blade Tech.  I hope they become more widespread.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been told by several folks that holsters for XDM pistols will fit the A1s.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Got mine out for the first time:

Impressions:

The sighting system works very well, particularly for very fast target acquisition.
Trigger is great.
You have to grip it very high, which is a good thing, otherwise, uncomfortable recoil impulse.
Very manageable follow up shots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I love my M357A1.  Great trigger, super comfortable grip and I like the sights after I got used to them.  Aftermarket support is lacking for holsters, sights and such.  Hopefully that will change

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love my M357A1.  Great trigger, super comfortable grip and I like the sights after I got used to them.  Aftermarket support is lacking for holsters, sights and such.  Hopefully that will change

<a href="http://s270.photobucket.com/user/tenchu74/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsu1smgkkj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/tenchu74/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsu1smgkkj.jpg</a>
View Quote

I carried mine in an Aegis Shield hybrid holster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Because STEYR doesn't do anything that the other manufacturers don't already do and some would argue already do it better. It will be almost impossible for a company to top Glock, HK, S&W, SA, SIG. No one just seems to care about STEYR because they already have a pistol mentioned above that works perfect for them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because STEYR doesn't do anything that the other manufacturers don't already do and some would argue already do it better. It will be almost impossible for a company to top Glock, HK, S&W, SA, SIG. No one just seems to care about STEYR because they already have a pistol mentioned above that works perfect for them.
View Quote

Yes and no.

Back in 2004, when Steyr came out with the "-a1" version of the M9, I think it was a very competitive pistol.  Has what many would consider an improved grip angle over the Glock, unique sights that help aimed fire, a nice trigger for a striker fired pistol, a nice low bore axis to help minimize muzzle rise, etc.  That would have been the time to heavily market it.  I don't think the M&P had hit the US market yet at that time.  I believe the M9-A1 had a lot to offer and missed much of its opportunity to capture market share.

Even now, about the only thing the M9-A1 lacks are interchangeable grip inserts to vary grip size and perhaps a very slight slimming of the slide.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes and no.

Back in 2004, when Steyr came out with the "-a1" version of the M9, I think it was a very competitive pistol.  Has what many would consider an improved grip angle over the Glock, unique sights that help aimed fire, a nice trigger for a striker fired pistol, a nice low bore axis to help minimize muzzle rise, etc.  That would have been the time to heavily market it.  I don't think the M&P had hit the US market yet at that time.  I believe the M9-A1 had a lot to offer and missed much of its opportunity to capture market share.

Even now, about the only thing the M9-A1 lacks are interchangeable grip inserts to vary grip size and perhaps a very slight slimming of the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no.

Don't get me wrong- I have absolutely nothing bad to say about STEYR- It's just that so many of us that actually shoot and train with any one of weapons talked about above. We can shoot them very good and in our hands it makes that the perfect weapon. It's just going to be almost impossible to go up against that because these weapons have been around so long and work very very well in the right hands. No reason to take the time and money to learn shoot a new pistol that at best will perform just as good as the other weapons listed above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top