Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2015 2:56:01 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to start my own small side business of making Kydex holsters. I may even get into making leather holsters. I have a question on popular and unpopular handguns. I want to make a list of both so that I can get the molds to make the holsters as soon as they are ordered. I know that GLOCK and Smith & Wesson M&P line are really popular.

Tell me what other brands and models are both popular and unpopular?

Do Sig's have one handgun that is the same as the other just the caliber is different? Example, a gun mod of an M&P .40 will work for the 9mm.

What is the difference in XD and XDM?

The first couple of holsters that I make will be for myself. I want to test out my own product and designs before I put them out into public. I will be making a G19 and M&P full size 9mm holster. I may make a Polish P-64 and a 1911 holster. I really want to carry my P-64 but have not found a holster so it is high on my to do list. I have been doing my research now for a year and I thought that it is about time that I jump in and do it.

If you guys can help me put a list together of both popular and unpopular handguns I would greatly appreciate it. I will also do a drawing for anyone that post in this thread for a free holster once that I am setup and running. I may end up doing this once a month or once ever couple of months with each username in the thread.

Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look at what the local PD's are carrying in counties in your area after you make Glock, M&P since they may be a source of sales for you.  If you are in northern VA the HKP2000 and Sig P229 are big with DHS.  The problem with Sig is the 226 is the fullsize and the 228 is smaller than the 226, but the 229 is the same size as a 228 but it is thicker and it continues to get more confusing.  You can always throw a 1911 in there.  Unpopular or uncommon is anything in this section of the forum.  The main issue with the uncommon weapons is finding a blue/red gun for the mold.  If you make a OWB holster for the Canik TP9SA I'd buy it.    Good luck getting started.  David
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would look at what the local PD's are carrying in counties in your area after you make Glock, M&P since they may be a source of sales for you.  If you are in northern VA the HKP2000 and Sig P229 are big with DHS.  The problem with Sig is the 226 is the fullsize and the 228 is smaller than the 226, but the 229 is the same size as a 228 but it is thicker and it continues to get more confusing.  You can always throw a 1911 in there.  Unpopular or uncommon is anything in this section of the forum.  The main issue with the uncommon weapons is finding a blue/red gun for the mold.  If you make a OWB holster for the Canik TP9SA I'd buy it.    Good luck getting started.  David
View Quote

Thanks David! Yeah, it seems Sig and a few other guns get really confusing. I have found a few different molds for Sig's and will keep my eye out for things. In my part of VA I see G19's and G17's along with some M&P's being carried. I have not seen any Sig's that I can think of on LEO's. I will once I get into this call and setup a time and talk with the departments in my area and see if they would like to test a few holsters out and then see about a program with them.

The Canik TP9 is one of the reason's I started asking about different guns. I want a TP9SA/DA or the DA model when it hits the sates. If I can't find a mold or what gun that it might be patterned after I may buy one and use it for molding holsters. I might be able to even make my own mold. I would like to do the magazines for them too.

I'm starting off small with hopes of working my way to something bigger. I want to make gun belts too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
S&W k frame 3 " barrel

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
S&W k frame 3 " barrel

View Quote

Adding that to my list. I'm finding a lot of guns that guys like and do carry but have no options really for holsters are common across the boards that I have posted. It is interesting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Cz pistols such as the P01, P07, PCR & RAMI. For the full size crowd the SP01 & cz75. Sig p320 I think will be a popular carry choice, walther line of pistols such as PPQ, pps. Beretta 92. I would think glock, m&p & 1911 are a must for any holster business. Ruger sr9. How bout a bersa bp9cc holster. My girlfriend has one and is having trouble finding a holster she likes. The same is true for my p01
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you checked out the local stores and ask what they sell the most of? Seems like a good starting point to me
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cz pistols such as the P01, P07, PCR & RAMI. For the full size crowd the SP01 & cz75. Sig p320 I think will be a popular carry choice, walther line of pistols such as PPQ, pps. Beretta 92. I would think glock, m&p & 1911 are a must for any holster business. Ruger sr9. How bout a bersa bp9cc holster. My girlfriend has one and is having trouble finding a holster she likes. The same is true for my p01
View Quote

Thank you for the info. I will look for a mold on Bersa. I thought I saw one the other day while looking around. The Ruger SR9 is one on my to get list. Also The PPQ is one on my list along with the Berretta 92. I want to have all the Sig's.

I'm just now getting some of my tools in and molds and once I have a few holsters made for myself I'm going to venture out and starting making them for people that can't find holsters for some of the odd ball guns, not as popular and popular guns.

I will see what I can find on the Bersa.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you checked out the local stores and ask what they sell the most of? Seems like a good starting point to me
View Quote

I have not talked with them about it just yet. I know one of the local stores that I deal with all the time sell out Kahr, M&P and Glocks. I have four other stores just in my town to talk with and one town over there are about five or so stores.

I can't wait to get started making my first holster and see how creative I can get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top