BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2015 8:29:13 PM EDT
Well, here it is folks. The lackluster conclusion to the slide marring saga:

Christopher Jensen (Century Arms)
Mar 11, 10:54

Adam,

We have just received word from the manufacture.

The scratch in the slide occurs when the operator inserts the mag by hitting and at the same time releasing the slide. It is caused by the tolerance difference of the lips of magazines and it is only cosmetic and has no effect on the functionality or safety of the pistol.

My reply:

If that were true, then why would the manufacturer waste time FIXING the issue on the new tan model? We have reports on ARFCOM stating no such scratch occurs on the tan model. Are you willing to offer a free 1:1 replacement / upgrade to the tan model? To be honest, that statement is not a "solution". You clearly state it's due to a tolerance difference. A tolerance difference is an error in design. What happens if people don't want to own a firearm with an inherent flaw due to an oversight? How is Canik / Century Arms planning to make it right?

I make the reply with the intention of creating a solution for those who are unsatisfied. I do not plan to trade out or get a refund for my handgun. What I am looking for is a reason to do any further business with Century Arms. The reply to my inquiry above will dictate that. So, there you go boys and girls. For better or for worse we now have our reply. I will post all further correspondence I receive on this issue. Hopefully this is a help to some of you TP9-SA owners.

Update 03/18/2015:

No reply as of yet. It has been 6 days since my previous eMail. I sent them another eMail today making a correction in my previous statement and further explaining my disappointment. I will update the thread again if I receive a reply.

I'd like to make an additional comment. Apparently I was wrong. The newer tan models are presenting the issue as well. I am very disappointed with the attitude Century Arms and Canik have taken on this issue. I thank you personally for your time throughout all of this. If you would like to know what your customers and potential customers think of this issue, you can read about it here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/158275_Canik_TP9_SA_Slide_Scratch_Issue___OFFICIAL_STATEMENT_From_Century_Arms.html

The original thread that started the entire line of questioning is still going on as well. You can find that here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/156687_Canik_TP9SA_Slide_Marring.html

What I would like to see happen is those who have this issue and are seeking a resolution be presented with a few more options. Options such as allowing the slide to be sent back to be machined with the corrected tolerances, the option to exchange the handgun for another of equal value or just something simple like a couple of magazines as an apology for the inconvenience. What has been done so far, in the one documented case where the handgun has been sent back for a warranty claim, Canik has shaved down that customer's magazines and deburred the underside of the slide. This means if the customer buys more magazines the issue will reoccur. That is not something I or most of the people aware of the issue are interested in. I realize that the likelihood of the options I presented above to be offered are slim to none. I'm personally not too worried about it but would have liked to know before making this purchase. Now that I own it, I still have every confidence in it's performance and reliability but I'm very disappointed with the lack of options given to the customer. At this point, I don't think I'll be doing any further business with either Century Arms or Canik. It really boils down to a lack in customer service and that is something I hold in very high regard. You personally have done your best and I have no issue with you. Again, thank you for your time.

Update 03/27/2015:

Abandon all hope, ye who enters this thread looking for an actual resolution. Century Arms isn't interested. The drought continues and my boycott stands. I probably won't follow this thread anymore unless something new actually happens. Don't hold your breath, folks!

Update 04/09/2015:

We have a development! Apparently Canik thought the slide marring issue was a big enough deal to redesign the slide. Pictorial proof below:

Everything is right in the world...right?! WRONG! Century Arms WILL NOT allow you to trade in your existing defective slide for a replacement. Their reasoning? It's only cosmetic. So, from what I gather, Century Arms (the broker between you and Canik) recognizes that the manufacturer has implemented a design change to FIX the slide marring issue but they are unwilling to facilitate an exchange. Why? Because they have no respect for paying customers. They WILL NOT facilitate a part exchange, a complete exchange or a refund on the grounds that it is only cosmetic. You heard that correctly, folks! Below is my most recent exchange with a different CSR. I will update the thread if there is further correspondence. What can you do in the meantime? Do exactly what I did! Hound them! Hopefully with our combined efforts they will be pressured into making the right decision. Please, even if you don't care about the slide marring issue, join in the effort to put pressure on Century Arms for those that do care.

Hello. I am under warranty and I would like a replacement slide. My slide suffers from the slide scratch issue (see below).

http://i59.tinypic.com/15eh2c1.jpg

I noticed that you have made an implementation to correct this issue by machining out a groove on the new TP9-SA handguns you have been selling. I would like to request a new version slide to replace my old version to correct the issue I am having (proof of new slide version below).

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/FB_IMG_1428458423577_zpsrkwqqaoz.jpg

Please, get back to me as soon as possible so we can start the process. My contact information is below. Thank you.

Heidi Bellizzi (Century Arms)
Apr 8, 16:31

Adam

The marking that is on the slide is a cosmetic defect not a manufacturer's defect. This will not worsen over time and will not cause any issue with the function of the gun.

Thank you

If the marking was such a non-issue then why bother designing and implementing a fix for it? The new slide you sell has a machined groove to prevent that issue. I do not want a handgun with this design flaw. I am requesting that I receive the new slide. Obviously it mattered enough to make design changes to the new slide version. I insist on a replacement. Thank you.

Adam

We are the importer and warranty service provider of the manufacturer, and were advised that the issue is cosmetic and does not affect the safety and functionality of the pistol and therefore cannot provide a replacement or replacement slide. The manufacturer made a decision regarding a new slide. We understand your frustration but are unable to take the pistol back or replace the slide.

Thank you

Cannot and will not are two separate things. You will not replace my slide which has a confirmed design defect. This is a fact! Manufacturers do not implement fixes VIA redesign for merely cosmetic issues. They obviously saw this as big enough of an issue to fix. You are supposed to be the broker between the customer and the manufacturer. If I had direct contact I would be able to return or request the new slide just like I am with any other company who operates in this country that sells a defective product. You are willing to etch your companies logo in large letters on the product in hopes to gain praise for the success of the product but you are unwilling to let any of the failures effect you in any way. This is poor business and shows a complete lack of respect for the customer. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. I demand to be treated like a paying customer! My product has a defect. A defect recognized by the manufacturer. You represent the manufacturer. I want a defect free product or my money back. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
So my slide is scratched because I reload too fast? Seriously?

My M&P doesn't have that issue, the Glocks I owned didn't have that issue. Even my Ruger P95 didn't have that issue.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So my slide is scratched because I reload too fast? Seriously?

My M&P doesn't have that issue, the Glocks I owned didn't have that issue. Even my Ruger P95 didn't have that issue.

http://www.geekpr0n.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/picard_wtf_RE_DONT_QUESTION-s300x266-71337.jpeg

View Quote

Yes. Seriously. WTF indeed!

Reading between the lines and comparing that to the real world experiences described in other threads, we can conclude that the scratch is caused by an inherent flaw in the design that causes the magazine to grind against the underside of the slide. The really ridiculous part is that they thought that by informing the customer of said inherent flaw the complaint would be satisfied. How is my complaint satisfied by telling me it's not just my handgun but EVERY handgun of that make / model while at the same time not offering me any kind of solution?!?! I'm giving them a chance to correct that error. If they choose not to then I'll choose to never do business with them again. It's that simple.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the same company that put 5.56 barrels on 5.45 guns and then blamed the ammo for bullets keyholing.  Why am I not surprised?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's the same company that put 5.56 barrels on 5.45 guns and then blamed the ammo for bullets keyholing.  Why am I not surprised?
View Quote

Wow. No es beuno. Got a source for that? I'd love to read about it to see what the resolution was and how it was handled. Perhaps it'll give us some insight on how this issue will be resolved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow. No es beuno. Got a source for that? I'd love to read about it to see what the resolution was and how it was handled. Perhaps it'll give us some insight on how this issue will be resolved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe a few of the tantal ak74's had a 5.45 chamber, but the barrel was bored out to 223/556
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
lol what a B.S response.

Considering Mec-gar makes mags for tons of pistols and none of them have this issue besides this One model tp9sa, even the 2 older model's tp9 I've seen with same mags have no marks.

The issues is  Canik  CNCing the slide with to close tolerances and obviously did not do enough testing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google it, there shuld be a ton of info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy Crap.  How could they not come up with a better response than that.  If they are just going to bullshit us, they could at least attempt to make it more believable.  For my buddies gun that was pretty bad after 350 rounds that would only be about 20 reloads if the mags are full.  Lets just say that all the mags were not full and it was 30 mag changes.  Or hell even 40 mag changes.  That is a good bit of damage for it to only happen those 40 times.  Not to mention that in his case the shooting was done at a indoor range with no quick reloads.  

Such bullshit!

Thanks for posting!

Phil
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I am looking for is a reason to do any further business with Century Arms. The reply to my inquiry above will dictate that.
View Quote

Century is an importer, not a mfg.  Why would you hold them accountable?  They are a middleman.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Century is an importer, not a mfg.  Why would you hold them accountable?  They are a middleman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I am looking for is a reason to do any further business with Century Arms. The reply to my inquiry above will dictate that.

That may be the case for this pistol, but they are the ones you purchase from and deal with.  If they want to give bullshit responses then fine.  If they want to put forth a little effort then I think that would go a heck of a lot further with people.

Phil
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Century gave a obviously BS response and are the ones responsible for handling warranty issues with pistol.

Beyond doubt this is a simple cnc tolerance issue with slide, as none of the other pistols Mec-gar makes mags for have any issues, and from the 2 earlier model TP9's that use same mag (i've seen with decent round count) they do not have any marks either.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a like new gen 4 glock 26 I would trade for a "scratched" tp9sa + cash if anyone is THAT upset. :-)
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You answered your own question. Part of justifying your profit margin as a middle-man is customer service. The customer should never be exposed to the leg work required to facilitate a solution of a faulty product with a manufacturer. That is a large part of why you PAY the middle-man.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You answered your own question. Part of justifying your profit margin as a middle-man is customer service. The customer should never be exposed to the leg work required to facilitate a solution of a faulty product with a manufacturer. That is a large part of why you PAY the middle-man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so let's say you buy a Ruger rifle at Cabelas.  After shooting, you find the bolt has an issue, you are gonna go to Cabelas and complain rather than call Ruger?  That is dumb.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so let's say you buy a Ruger rifle at Cabelas.  After shooting, you find the bolt has an issue, you are gonna go to Cabelas and complain rather than call Ruger?  That is dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when it has Cabelas engraved on the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
lol what a B.S response.

Considering Mec-gar makes mags for tons of pistols and none of them have this issue besides this One model tp9sa, even the 2 older model's tp9 I've seen with same mags have no marks.

The issues is  Canik  CNCing the slide with to close tolerances and obviously did not do enough testing.
View Quote

VERY good point. I should have used the original TP9 as my example with the Mec-Gar magazine argument instead of the newer model TP9-SA in tan. Perhaps I should just link them to this forum if they don't get back with an appropriate response? We'll see what happens. <- Where have I seen that quote before?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. You never cease to amaze me. This is retail 101. When you buy a product at, let's say, Wal-Mart and it's defective...Do you:

A) Return it to Wal-Mart with the expectation of getting a return, refund or exchange.
B) Dial up China and figure out what sweat-shop it came out of so you can ask for a solution.

Do you think Wal-Mart imports most of it's products or makes them in-house?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow. You never cease to amaze me. This is retail 101. When you buy a product at, let's say, Wal-Mart and it's defective...Do you:

A) Return it to Wal-Mart with the expectation of getting a return, refund or exchange.
B) Dial up China and figure out what sweat-shop it came out of so you can ask for a solution.

View Quote

again, you have AMAZED me.  Do all the products you buy have no manufacturer name on them?  You have never bought a product that has an insert that says "STOP, if you have an issue with this product, DO NOT return it to the retailer, call this 800 number"???  You are unreal.  I can probably go out in the boxes in my garage and find 30 of those labels right now.  People are just stupid and lazy and go back to the store and bitch and complain even though it was not the store's fault whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

again, you have AMAZED me.  Do all the products you buy have no manufacturer name on them?  You have never bought a product that has an insert that says "STOP, if you have an issue with this product, DO NOT return it to the retailer, call this 800 number"???  You are unreal.  I can probably go out in the boxes in my garage and find 30 of those labels right now.  People are just stupid and lazy and go back to the store and bitch and complain even though it was not the store's fault whatsoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about FAULT?! It's not Century Arm's fault that Canik made a design error but it is their PROBLEM! They import the product, they market the product, they guarantee the warranty on the product and they put their company's NAME on the product (permanently etching it on the slide).

All you do is follow TP9-SA related threads so you can derail the conversation by spewing negative and erroneous bullshit. Your personal opinion about how MOST PEOPLE expect to do business is irrelevant to this thread. You don't own or are even interested in owning a TP9-SA therefor you have no place in this conversation. I'm reporting you to the mods because I'm done dealing with you. You're a troll with nothing intelligent to add. You hate the TP9-SA and people who own it. We get it. Move along.

EDIT:
Had to take out a personal insult that has no place in this thread. I had a temporary lapse in judgement due to anger. I rarely find the need to remind myself to never feed the trolls. 13ers gonna' 13. My apologies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Who said anything about FAULT?! It's not Century Arm's fault that Canik made a design error but it is their PROBLEM! They import the product, they market the product, they guarantee the warranty on the product and they put their company's NAME on the product (permanently etching it on the slide).

All you do is follow TP9-SA related threads so you can derail the conversation by spewing negative and erroneous bullshit. Your personal opinion about how MOST PEOPLE expect to do business is irrelevant to this thread. You don't own or are even interested in owning a TP9-SA therefor you have no place in this conversation. I'm reporting you to the mods because I'm done dealing with you. You're a troll with nothing intelligent to add. You hate the TP9-SA and people who own it. We get it. Move along.

EDIT:
Had to take out a personal insult that has no place in this thread. I had a temporary lapse in judgement due to anger. I rarely find the need to remind myself to never feed the trolls. 13ers gonna' 13. My apologies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Nothing new in regards to the internet. Wish people could take it to PMs honestly.

It's just a shame Century released a statement saying it was completely normal... Is it going to make me sell my Canik? Nah...

Mostly purchased this as a truck/range gun honestly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nothing new in regards to the internet. Wish people could take it to PMs honestly.

It's just a shame Century released a statement saying it was completely normal... Is it going to make me sell my Canik? Nah...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Great advice, friend. I take responsibility for my part in cluttering the thread. I won't make that mistake anymore. I wouldn't consider selling the handgun either. I really enjoy it. I did the "Decocker Disabler" mod and would have ZERO issue with this handgun making it's way into my EDC. My intention with the thread is to inform those who would rightfully take issue with the way Century Arms is handling this issue. While not a justification to sell the handgun, it would have been nice to know BEFORE I made the purchase. Good customer service in the firearms industry is a hard thing to come by these days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great advice, friend. I take responsibility for my part in cluttering the thread. I won't make that mistake anymore. I wouldn't consider selling the handgun either. I really enjoy it. I did the "Decocker Disabler" mod and would have ZERO issue with this handgun making it's way into my EDC. My intention with the thread is to inform those who would rightfully take issue with the way Century Arms is handling this issue. While not a justification to sell the handgun, it would have been nice to know BEFORE I made the purchase. Good customer service in the firearms industry is a hard thing to come by these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

I was thinking of disabling the decocker. But I'm trying to think about using a different material. I seen cut down nails were used. I was wondering if Brass/Aluminum Rods might be a better alternative. I'm hardly worried about it though.

I'm actually waiting on the SF series to get imported. Part of me wants to do a grip chop on one of the frames once I find a compatible, shorter magazine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]

I was thinking of disabling the decocker. But I'm trying to think about using a different material. I seen cut down nails were used. I was wondering if Brass/Aluminum Rods might be a better alternative. I'm hardly worried about it though.
I'm actually waiting on the SF series to get imported. Part of me wants to do a grip chop on one of the frames once I find a compatible, shorter magazine.
View Quote

I used two small stainless steel brads cut to size. Worked perfectly. I put an ever-so-slight, whisper thin coat of grease on them to keep them from rusting / staining. They were just enough to fit snug in the spring. The SF model would be cool too. I know the PPQ M2 will function without issue with a TP9-SA magazine. Hope that gives you some insight.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:54:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Updated OP as of 03/18/2015 4:54AM.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Half tempted to machine/debur the slide myself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Half tempted to machine/debur the slide myself.
View Quote

What tools / methods did you use? How did it come out? Would you mind posting up some pictures? If mine progresses down the line I would like to have a plan for dealing with the situation. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry but your attempts at telepathy failed. Let me see if I can re-calibrate my 6th sense. Haha.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry but your attempts at telepathy failed. Let me see if I can re-calibrate my 6th sense. Haha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Updated OP as of 03/27/2015 1:13PM.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Updated OP as of 04/09/2015 7:32PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top