BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 1:45:05 AM EDT
Anybody have a Sphinx pistol yet?
Kriss is supposed to be importing them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Buds gun shop had some reviews on their page.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are quite a few YouTube videos on them but no one I know has one. The only ding on the design that I know of is that some of their frames are a combination of polymer and aluminum. I don't know why they would use aluminum instead of steel in that context. Perhaps it saves weight? I can't imagine it would save much weight.

I was seriously thinking of getting one until I found out about that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are quite a few YouTube videos on them but no one I know has one. The only ding on the design that I know of is that some of their frames are a combination of polymer and aluminum. I don't know why they would use aluminum instead of steel in that context. Perhaps it saves weight? I can't imagine it would save much weight.

I was seriously thinking of getting one until I found out about that.
View Quote
Sphinx guns are probably one of the best made guns in the world. Look how the slide fits to the frame on the gun if you look at the tear down, its truly a awesome firearm. I shot one the SDP, but then I got awesome deal on the HK VP9 LE so I am waiting, but I am glad I did because now they have the FDE model SDP.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I want one, and I'm beginning to think that they might actually be worth the price.

This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone know how they make the small parts? Are they machined from billet or castings?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think I want one, and I'm beginning to think that they might actually be worth the price.

This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone know how they make the small parts? Are they machined from billet or castings?
View Quote

Machined from billet. There are zero MIM or cast parts in them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can get one, do it!   I have had mine for two weeks now with close to 800 rounds through it.  This pistol is is arguably the finest handgun I've owned. The trigger is similar to a P229 in double action with zero grit.  The single action, well, words fail me here.   Simply amazing. Approximately 3.5#'s with the cleanest break I've ever felt.  Fit and finish is superb in all aspects.  Mags have been easy to secure around $35 each.   My only gripe is not being able to get the Halo front sight yet but it's going to hit the states soon.  Accuracy is stellar and expected from this pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Or save yourself a lot of $$$ and get the CZed on which the Sphinx is based. Fine design without all the frills.

This comparison between the two pistols is quite good.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/jeremy-s/sphinx_vs_cz/
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, an Alpha and love it. And so has my buddies that's shot it. PITA finding a good holster, but just received my KT Mech LLC Gunfighter from a group buy. If you have the coins, it's worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or save yourself a lot of $$$ and get the CZed on which the Sphinx is based. Fine design without all the frills.

View Quote

The only thing those two share is a slide inside frame design and the use of a polymer frame. Sphinx is based on a standard cz75 trigger. The P07/09 use the much different Omega trigger. SDP only has polymer in the grip and trigger guard. The top half of the lower is all machined aluminum. P07/9 lower is polymer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

same could be said about a rem. 1911 and a Wilson combat 1911.
I love my sphinx thinking bit a subcompact or the fs version now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Also u can get a all steel version
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up my SPHINX SDP subcompact 9mm this passed Sunday down in Tampa Fl. at Shoot Straight. Went to the range today and put over 100 rounds thru it with no hang ups, a very accurate gun. Fit & finish outstanding. Now to find an extra 13 round mag for it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Im looking at getting one and was wondering will it fit into a CZ P07 holster?  The guy who makes my leather holsters has a blue gun for the P07 to make one, but I wanted to ask those with it first and a Sphinx forum is very hard to find!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a post I put up on a forum about defense ammo with this gun.
Here is an update on this Sphinx
Received an e-mail today for returning my gun to Sphinx. They will send me an RMA to send it in. Before I send it I will do one more test at the range.
This is what I did today.
Took the gun apart took the barrel out and tried three different brands of ammo in the chamber. The first one I used was Perfecta 115 grs FMJ, this ammo works in this gun I put over 100 rounds thru it. It goes in the chamber and comes out easy.
The second one I put in Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok this round went in but not as deep as the first I pressed on the round and it got stuck in the chamber had to push it out with a cleaning rod.
This was the round that I had trouble with releasing the slide to chamber it and was unable to pull the slide back. The last one Is a box of Hornady Critical defense115gr. FTX I bought today,
this went in like the Perfecta at the right dept. and did no stick in the chamber. Will get to the range to see if this works. If it does work I will not have to send this gun in, I will just have to use the brands that it likes.

Ammo that chambers.......
Perfecta115gr. FMJ
TulAmmo Brass Max115 gr.FMJ
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX

Ammo that does not chamber.......
Speer Gold Dot147 gr. GDHP
Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok
Magtech 92.6 gr. SCHP

Ammo Test
Out to the range today down in Clearwater Florida at the Shoot Straight indoor range. I shot 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense115 gr. FTX. This ammo works fine in this gun
it is very accurate. Will not send this gun back to Sphinx. This is the right ammo for me when i carry this one. Also put 50 rounds of Perfecta FMJ ammo thru it no hang ups.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
This Sphinx sent back to Kriss for repair barrel out of spec............................
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I purchased a Sphinx subcompact, I have the compact and love it . First day on the range with the new Sphinx subcompact, I fired one round and the Sphinx jammed. I had to take the slide off and pry the round from the chamber. I Put the Sphinx back together, attempted to rack rounds through it and again it jammed to the point I had to remove the slide,and pry the live round out .Called Kriss USA and returned the weapon at my expense. I also requested they look at the poor finish on the slide. The Sphinx was retuned and they claim they had replaced the recoil spring. They also polished the ramp and chamber but did not document the work. The failure to finish and polish the ramp and chamber, caused the jamming. They did not repair the finish on the slide. I spoke again to Kriss USA and retuned the slide.
They replaced the slide due to the poor finish.After receiving the slide back, I went back to the range and the Sphinx jammed again in battery, so tight, I had to manipulate the slide to get it back in to battery to fire the weapon. I again returned the Sphinx to Kriss USA and they sent the Sphinx back with a new barrel.After the 3rd return and $100 dollars in shipping, they properly finished building it. The Sphinx subcompact shots well, and is a nice weapon, but this is not what I expected from a company that advertises a high quality weapon. Kriss USA did offer to pay the shipping on the 2nd return, but it was more convenient for me to pay it instead of getting it weighed and waiting for a shipping label. I have talked to the CS manager and requested to speak to someone higher in the company,but the will not return my call. This gun should have never made it through quality control. Kriss USA never offered anything to offset my expense, not even hat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello 852
I hope when mine comes back that that they replaced the out of spec barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you send the firearm back?, if not you may still have problems.. Its a nice gun, once they do, what should be done.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
They received my gun on June 16, 2015 . I sent them the list that I have posted on the forums of all the ammo I have tested that worked and which did not (chamber) work with this gun. Will see what they do. For a company that makes great guns ($3000.00) I can't see how they let them pass inspection  with a barrel out of spec. Maybe when Kriss got them to make guns for $1,000.00 they now have guys who worked in Pizza Hut making them now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you received your subcompact back yet?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I am still waiting for them to send it back. Will see if they change the barrel ............................
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]

The gun is back
Out to the range today down in Clearwater (Shoot Straight) Florida To see how this subcompact 9mm will shoot after being repaired. I shot fifty rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ RN which worked great  . Also fifty rounds of Perfecta 115gr. FMJ all worked great no hang ups. I then went to self defense ammo. Federal 124grHydra-Shok I fired twenty rounds worked great no hang ups but when I got to Magech First Defense 92.6 ammo the slide closed but the gun would not fire the round also I had a hard time pulling back the slide to get the live round out  . That ammo is on the no no list  That is all I could test today.

OK Guys
I think I will have to live with this Sphinx subcompact gun the way it is. It is very accurate for a gun with a short barrel and the ammo that it likes their is never a hang up. The size is great to carry. The barrel has a tight chamber. The ammo that it does not like, listed below :-(
Speer Gold Dot 147gr GDHP
PowRBall 100gr
Federal Target
Magtech 115gr FMC
Magtech 92.6 SCHP
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the report, glad you finally got it back, sad a gun as expensive as they are would be so ammo picky.
I love my subcompact also, taking it to the range tomorrow. Hope it shoots what ammo I am taking.
I hope you had a better dealing with Kriss USA, their customer service is poor.
Be safe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I will keep the gun even if it's picky. I have two defense brands of ammo that work great in this gun.
Sent two e-mails to Kriss about a refund for the gun or a replacement of a dif. model that works. Did not get a reply as of today  
Here are the defense rounds that work.
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX
Federal Premium124gr Hydra-Shok
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Sounds like I'll pass...can't afford that kind of cash for a pickey gun
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
That's disappointng.  Handled a few in the gun shop earlier this week and was seriously considering the threaded SDP compact.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I also have the compact, it is a great gun, love the way it shots.
I would carry it as a duty weapon with night sights if i could find them.
The sub-compact has been a horror story, but I hope we have got past all that.
I can't believe Sphinx has allowed the subcompact to affect the opinion of its company.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I've shot the compact alpha and it was awesome. Love the ergos. Very smooth DA trigger but heavy. Great SA but also heavy. If the trigger weight was down a little bit it would be that much better. I'm thinking I will buy one and carry it.

The duotone looks interesting. 42oz it must shoot awesome. But doesn't make sense in a compact pistol I don't think.

I'm hearing that the full size models are supposed to be here this month or next. The "production" model looks very interesting with its heavy weight and light trigger. I really hope Sphinx catches on here because I think of them as a high end cz. It's like a kimber 1911 vs a Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have posted on some forums about the trouble with my sub. I returned it to the LGS were I bought it at a loss to me of over $300.00. Informed them of the out of spec barrel chamber so they would not dump it on someone.
I was at Shoot Straight down in Clearwater Florida last week and the sales person told me about his friend that had the same gun and was having trouble with his and had trouble with the company to fix it for him. He told me the guy could not get
them to return his calls and e-mails. This could happen to anybody with any gun. I did not like on mine that it had ware marks on the frame from the slide. I will stick with my CZ's.........................
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know where night sights can be found?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad I found this thread, geez, I was gonna pick one up on friday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Kind of sketchy how many people reviewed this gun in this thread with 100 or less posts. Just saying.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone know where night sights can be found?
View Quote

The one they where pimping with the tritum inside a fiber optic front site looks to have been stuck in customs approval limbo for years so I don't know if there are any available. Doesn't look like the company is very good at updating their website as I found that out from their facebook page and their response to multiple people asking about night sights. Turned me off on the company personally and I haven't even handled one yet but if I pay that much money for a handgun I'd like support if need be instead of a mad hunt to get a hold of someone. And the sight pistol and all is imported by kriss if I recall correctly so you'd think they could update the info easily since they are handling it all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The one negative I noticed with the compact is that it seemed kind of flippy on recoil. Only con I have. I wish I had the opportunity to shoot a Grand Power because it and Sphinx are the two companies that interest me the most right now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
15 rounders in stock at long last but they're not cheap

https://www.preppergunshop.com/sphinx-magazine-sdp-compact-9mm-15rd.html?___SID=Uhttps://www.preppergunshop.com/sphinx-magazine-sdp-compact-9mm-15rd.html?___SID=U
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Check Gunbroker
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Does any one know when the full size Sphinx will be out
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Great. Picking this up today. This thread has made me a little more uneasy. Although the 50 youtube videos I have watched the last few days tell me otherwise.

Guess I will see.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Beautiful gun, I have the compact it has been a great weapon. The subcompact was a problem. You will love it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun, I have the compact it has been a great weapon. The subcompact was a problem. You will love it.
View Quote

I hope you're right. Me getting this was a complete fluke. The way it turned out, I think I was supposed to get one.

End up paying $839 plus tax. So I don't think I got hurt on one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a subcompact in a trade.   Looked great.  I did NOT know about the issues prior to the trade.  I'll post pictures of the barrel later, but I had the jamming issues.  I'm positive the guy that I traded had the same issues and was passing the buck.   I'm not the type to harass anyone on lack of due diligence on my part.  

However.  I contacted Kriss.  They paid for shipping both ways.  I should be getting the pistol back today after 6 weeks.  I'll post the before pictures and the after.  

I'll see how it shoots, but for me, it's a no buy.  Especially the subcompact.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I would love to see the pictures, I had to pay for shipping twice, before the got the pistol right!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I would love to see the pictures, I had to pay for shipping twice, before they got the pistol right!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought the compact from a guy here at AR 15 and absolutely love it.  Best trigger ever.  I made a holster for it and ran 200 flawless rounds through it.  It is a bit heavy for IWB carry so I picked up a subcompact from a gentleman on Gunbroker.  Again I made a holster for it and ran 150 flawless rounds through it.  After that I broke out a box of 115 grain +P hollow points and the thing ran like a sewing machine.  

The subcompact had a better trigger and was a dream to shoot.  Another 200-300 rounds and it will replace my Shield for EDC.

BOTH are great guns.  Definitely keepers!  I'll post pics soon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#45]
My Sphinx SDP can't get through a magazine, and Kriss USA wants me to pay the $80 shipping to fix it.

I'll slam my pecker in the patio door three times before I touch another Kriss USA product.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
welcome to the club
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Sorry you guys had trouble.

I absolutely love mine. Will be sending the slide in Monday to have night sights installed. Then it's done.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a Sphinx SDP Duty(17rd) threaded last week and just put the first 3 mags through it today. Wow, probably the most accurate and nicest shooting pistols I've shot. Trigger is great, sights are nice and they use CZ75b mags which can be had for around $20. I know Sphinx had some issues with tight chambers for awhile but mine runs like a...well a swiss watch!

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got both the compact and the subcompact.  Nary a hiccup between the two.  I've fired several hundred 115gr ball thru each and some Federal 115gr JHP.  Flawless performance.

Both are accurate and my rate of fire is incredibly fast.  I don't plan on keeping the compact though.  The subcompact is just as accurate, easy to shoot and it fits my hand better.  Combine that with the ease of carry and you have a winner.

Speaking of ease of carry, I made horse hide and Kydex hybrid IWB holsters for each.  The SUB carries just like my Shield...  just a bit heavier.  The added weight makes for better shooting and the 13 + 1 capacity is great.  I've got a 15 rounds compact mag that I carry as a reload.  I'm not able to post pics but if you're interested in seeing my set up send me an email at: [email protected].

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Been looking at the duty threaded version for a suppressor host. Anyone running a can on there Sphinx sdp duty?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top