Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 5:20:40 PM EDT
My desert tan pistol from AIM arrived with weekend.  I have a thing for FDE guns so I thought I would jump on this while the price is decent.  I've only put 100 rounds through it so far.  It seem stiffer than my black one but that has 1200 rounds through it.  I already blacked out the rear dots like I do with all three dot sight.  I also tried my hand at stippling the small grip insert.  I don't care much for the pineapple grenade checkering on pistols.  I really like the sides of the TP9SA pistol grip so I tried to replicate it on the back strap.  I wonder it Century will ever import parts for these things if they really catch on.  It would be nice to get a couple of back straps to try different patterns on or maybe be able to get tan ones instead of black.  I hope to get a good amount of trigger time on Friday and report back.  David

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I was able to get some trigger time Thursday and Friday.  250 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124gr+p,  350 rounds of Federal 100gr frangible and 50 rounds of Ranger 147gr bonded ammo.  With six 18 round mags it is easy to burn through ammo quickly.  I forgot to take my camera to the range so I didn't get any pictures of the targets.   I tried to shoot some groups at 25 yards, but I was all over the place.  I was trying to keep all of the rounds in the number circles on the cat-IV targets I was using and kept having a flyer or two.  I of course blame it on the trigger and not the shooter  

Not a single malfunction, but the first thing I noticed was the trigger pull was significantly harder than the black TP9SA I have.  After 650 rounds and lots of lube it did not change much.  I got home and started comparing the two pistols and noticed what looked like a burr on the edge of the striker. I took my knife sharpening stone and put 3 or 4 strokes on the edge to knock the burr off.  I then took my polishing wheel and some flitz and cleaned up the surface area.  With the striker back in the gun, both pistols feel the same now.  I will try my trigger gauge when I get to work next week and see if they are the same.

I also stippled the larger back strap but I will have to wait until next week to see how I shot with that.  David

The red arrow shows the burr on one side.  I already cleaned up the other side when I thought to get the camera.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome...  Thanks for the report and for sharing your fix.

Phil
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
SO my Canik has been out for cerakoting for the past 6 months and I finally got a call today to come pick it up. The short story is I had the bright idea to try and dye the frame a shade darker brown with rite dye.  I've done Pmags and a few sets of AR rifle furniture and it always worked great.  The Canik frame not so much.  After it turned a blueish color on the second attempt I knew it was time to cerakote it.  I had them spray the frame in smith brown.  It actually turned out great but now I kind of wish I had them do the slide.  Not sure I'm liking the 2 tone as much as I thought.  I figure I'll shoot it until the slide gets dinged up and maybe pick another color.

Here are some pictures with and without the flash.  David

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Great information about the trigger fix! I wish they were importing the Tan TP9v2. i couldnt wait, and got the black one.  I really hope there will be some aftermarket support for these soon. They have been catching on. Do you know what the factory coating is? it feels like a soft duracoat material

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not really sure about the finish but this video from shot show has the comentator state it is a cerakote finish.    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-xoNT5FC8
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the comentator state it is a cerakote finish.  
View Quote

unfortunately Cerakote has become a universal term often incorrectly used for a gun coating of some sort...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I have noticed that.  I've had a few Turkish guns and the finish seems to be along the lines of CZ's polycoating.  David
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
DOOH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top