User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 2:44:06 AM EDT
Solution below... Enjoy Guys!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
link?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Alright guys, so like many of you I feel that the TP9SA would be a much better firearm without the pointless holdover from the original TP9....the decocker.  After trying for a few days, to my surprise, no one seems to have found an easy, non permanent way of disabling it.  In light of that I have made a tutorial.  Keep in mind, this is proof of concept (now complete).  I will replace the toothpicks with steel rods/pins (Done).  For what it's worth, she functions flawlessly :)

Make sure the firearm is unloaded then start by field stripping normally.  Go ahead and use that pesky decocker one last time if you want :)

You should end up with something like this.

Next, take a punch or pencil tip and push in the button (really the back of the striker assembly) which is in the little notch above back plate.

While it is depressed, slide the back plate down with your thumb.  This should be very easy, do not force it.

You'll end up with the back of the striker assembly sticking out of the back of the firearm.

Simply remove it by pressing it out  of the back with your thumb (you may need to depress the decocker slightly to take the pressure off)

The decocker is held in the slide by the striker assembly, it should fall right out.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the overturned decocker button, don't lose the two springs!  You will notice it has two "pegs", one on the right and one on the left.  The right is the side that actually decocks the firearm, the left is just a guide to make sure the button goes straight down and does not tilt in the slide.  One option is to simply file down the right peg slightly, I wanted to avoid this as it is obviously permanent.  What we are going to do instead is to stop the button from being able to be depressed enough to activate the decocker.

The "proof of concept" solution.  Again, this will be replaced by a steel rod/pin (Done... keep scrolling ha)

Cut two pieces of toothpick (or anything really) to slightly longer than half the length of the springs.

Insert the toothpicks (to be replaced by steel)  into the center of the spring and reassemble in reverse order :) This is what stops the spring from compressing fully.

This will disable the decocker entirely and is completely reversible!!!  For what it is worth, even using just the toothpicks I can not decock the pistol with all my strength, and the toothpicks show no sign of stress.

Im pressing as hard as a possibly can.

Let me know what you think!  Ill update this post as soon as I can once I replace the toothpicks!

[UPDATED]

The K.I.S.S solution paid off big!

Vuala :)

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
smart, that decocker was the dumbest thing they could've done on that pistol.  Made no sense since there was no DA capability of the firing mechanism...
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
smart, that decocker was the dumbest thing they could've done on that pistol.  Made no sense since there was no DA capability of the firing mechanism...
View Quote

From  a couple of the videos that I've seen, it's being sold as an aid to disassembly since you don't need to pull the trigger (with the potential consequences of that) but can just use the decocker...

Whether that's really helpful (increasing safety) or not is another story.

I just pull the trigger to decock the TP9SA (like a Glock), after making sure that the chamber is unloaded, of course .

My point is only that it (the decocker) can be 'sold' as a safety feature, comparing the TP9SA to a Glock (for example).

Forrest
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No, as Yankee Marshall said, they were too lazy to redesign the slide.  It is not, nor will it ever be, a Glock.  And if someone is dumb enough to strip a gun without a chamber check, they might deserve to lose a finger.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
For those smart enough :) this is an answer to Yankees gripe... at least the best I could come up with.  I think it is an extremely solid solution though, I don't see any part of this failing without breaking the slide.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I also saw a video that someone stated the Turkish PD carries with an empty chamber and wanted a way to decock the weapon to condition 3.  Probably internet speculation but who knows.  I wouldn't think laziness to redesign the slide would be it since the cost of machining and the extra part and springs add to the company cost.  The decocker doesn't bother me and  I don't think it is something you could bump anyway.  I've never heard anyone complaining of all those SW99's in police use in the 90's decocking to the heavy trigger pull inadvertently.   Either way anytime you get a click and go bang you should immediately tap rack anyway.  David
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The point is, anyone using the TP9SA as a carry piece hasn't thought very carefully about their defensive strategy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No, as Yankee Marshall said, they were too lazy to redesign the slide.  It is not, nor will it ever be, a Glock.  And if someone is dumb enough to strip a gun without a chamber check, they might deserve to lose a finger.
View Quote

Yankee Marshall is as bright as my 20 year old torch (torch has lost it's shine), first off, they had to redesign the slide to accommodate the longer barrel, so saying Canik was too lazy to redesign the slide to remove the decocker is utter schit. There is logic to Canik's "madness", Turkish police are required to carry their duty pistols in Condition 3. Once the pistol is fired, they must holster their pistol back in condition 3, a decocker allows them to do this safely without discarding a live round.

Having read Yankee Marshall's comments, it's becoming obvious that he has an issue with Turkey the country, but too much of a ladies genitals to say it out right in a video.

Having said all that, I'm still waiting on the TP9SF Q3.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.canik55.com/img/gallery/57be5eaac0898a2262cde09541169d3c_big.jpg

View Quote

Yeah SAO with no safety sounds great.  Very "operator"...
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No different than running a glock with a lighter trigger. Both guns are striker fired with trigger safeties.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't see any great difference in trigger pull poundage between in the TP9SA, P320, VP9, PPQ or a Glock with a 3.5 connector.  From what I have read most also disourage the safety option on the M&P.  I guess some just don't care for the Turkish firearm, that's fine.  I just ordered a tan one    David

OP thanks for posting the pictures.  I pulled the slide apart this morning an cleaned out the striker channel.  I just finished 1000 rounds of green ammo and it made the pistol quite dirty with fouling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't see any great difference in trigger pull poundage between in the TP9SA, P320, VP9, PPQ or a Glock with a 3.5 connector.
View Quote

I dunno, I guess it's just me then.  I run a V4 connector and an NY1 trigger spring in my G17 and as far as Turkish stuff goes...I love my Serbian Sig Clone so I can't say that I am biased against Century Arms imports either.  I just think the gun would've been better if it had a DA mode as well as the SA.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I dunno, I guess it's just me then.  I run a V4 connector and an NY1 trigger spring in my G17 and as far as Turkish stuff goes...I love my Serbian Sig Clone so I can't say that I am biased against Century Arms imports either.  I just think the gun would've been better if it had a DA mode as well as the SA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see any great difference in trigger pull poundage between in the TP9SA, P320, VP9, PPQ or a Glock with a 3.5 connector.

I think the SA is just a gimmick to advertise the trigger pull.

Now they are making a Gen 2 TP9 with the TP9SA frame/slide. The main difference is that it will be DA/SA like the original TP9. So the decocker would take it from SA mode to a longer DA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yankee Marshall is as bright as my 20 year old torch (torch has lost it's shine), first off, they had to redesign the slide to accommodate the longer barrel, so saying Canik was too lazy to redesign the slide to remove the decocker is utter schit. There is logic to Canik's "madness", Turkish police are required to carry their duty pistols in Condition 3. Once the pistol is fired, they must holster their pistol back in condition 3, a decocker allows them to do this safely without discarding a live round.

Having read Yankee Marshall's comments, it's becoming obvious that he has an issue with Turkey the country, but too much of a ladies genitals to say it out right in a video.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gather pretty easily that he has more of a problem with Turkey the country than he does the TP9SA's decocker. He mentions in the comments section more than once he has a problem with supporting a "terrorist country" (I'm paraphrasing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TJh--Oztk

If he has a problem with Turkey supposedly being a terrorist country and supporting it by buying a Canik (or any Turkish gun), he could have saved us all of the trouble of his whiny "review" of the TP9SA and just made a video about that.

Is the TP9SF actually coming out in Q3 this year?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you going to set the gun off in the holster that is shown without squeezing the trigger? What is the difference here between this gun and a Glock besides the weight of the trigger pull, for all practical purposes?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How are you going to set the gun off in the holster that is shown without squeezing the trigger? What is the difference here between this gun and a Glock besides the weight of the trigger pull, for all practical purposes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop it.  The tech forums aren't the place for logic.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the difference here between this gun and a Glock besides the weight of the trigger pull?
View Quote

you answered your own question
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the difference here between this gun and a Glock besides the weight of the trigger pull?

You aren't going to set the gun off inside the holster. So...again, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW, I read scuttlebutt that Canik was competing for a contract for a pistol that required a decocker, then the specs changed and they had a bunch of slides with that functionality... So here we are with em! Trying to find it again, but failing miserably.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if that is the same price as current models, count me in!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got a Canik TP9SA yesterday.  I have been thinking on a way to disable / remove the decocker.  After reading this thread, I decided to try it out.  I cut an allen wrench that I had about 100 of the same size.  I cut it perfect the first time.  There is absolutely NO movement in my decocker.  I LOVE this gun.  I went into my local gun shop just to kill time and shoot the bull, they had a G43 come in while I was there, so I bought it and while I was waiting for them to get it into their books so they could sell it, I spotted the Canik.  For $300 OTD I figured why not.  I plan on getting some range time with it and the 43 Monday.  Cant wait.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
My biggest worry was if someone ever tried to break into my moms house late at night my mouse cord could wrap around my gun and trip the de-cocker. Her basement is pretty secure, only one way in or out, but still a guy has to plan for Murphey...

I tried using the methods listed above but in the event of a sharknado the salt water could cause the nail to corrode into nothing. Then the de-cocker could be active again and I would never know until it was too late. In the end I just bought a cordless mouse and had a custom holster built into my computer chair. Now it never leaves my side...

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I've made a brief video tutorial similar to yours. Except I used a different method.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top