User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So Jacob Herman had said this was on his "To Do List" for today on the TP9 Facebook Group.  Well my buddy never received a phone call or email from anyone at Century.   So we will see what next week brings.

Capt - My buddy bought his gun from Bud's ran about 350 rounds thought it.  Noticed the gouge in the slide and called Century.  They told him it shouldn't do that and to send it in for warranty work.  On Feb 11th is when they told him that it was done and on its way back to him.  Since then no one has been able to tell him where it is.  They have no actual shipping info, just that it is in shipping.  

I honestly really wanted to pick up one of these TP9SA's.  But customer service like this will keep me away for sure.

Phil
View Quote

The trigger is great, but imo it's mainly a range gun for me. If the SHTF it's just an extra gun to pass around.

If you are in the market for a new semi-auto, you can't go wrong with a:
Glock, Ruger 9E/SR9, S&W M&P, FN, CZ, Springfield, Or hell even a Tisas 1911/Taurus for the price. Not to mention Hi Power clones out there.
There is also eaa witness

Looks like I'll be avoiding Century in the future if possible until they re-evalute their attitude.  I'll even buy Taurus before century at this point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So Jacob Herman had said this was on his "To Do List" for today on the TP9 Facebook Group.  Well my buddy never received a phone call or email from anyone at Century.   So we will see what next week brings.

Capt - My buddy bought his gun from Bud's ran about 350 rounds thought it.  Noticed the gouge in the slide and called Century.  They told him it shouldn't do that and to send it in for warranty work.  On Feb 11th is when they told him that it was done and on its way back to him.  Since then no one has been able to tell him where it is.  They have no actual shipping info, just that it is in shipping.  

I honestly really wanted to pick up one of these TP9SA's.  But customer service like this will keep me away for sure.

Phil
View Quote

Yeah...and here's what that list looks like.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/293kbxi.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

http://i62.tinypic.com/293kbxi.jpg

That actually made me laugh out loud.  That is probably how it went too.  

There will be some other excuses next week.  

At this point I think that Century has had his pistol in their position at least twice as long as he had it in his.  

Phil
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't really want to get myself on the special treatment list like the rest of you, but I am a little curious if the slide wear under the barrel is normal, in addition to the marring mark from the magazine.

It does not bother me at all, but I just don't see the point of coating the inside of the slide if the material is not hard enough for it to stay coated since it clearly won't prevent rusting like that over the long term.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't really want to get myself on the special treatment list like the rest of you, but I am a little curious if the slide wear under the barrel is normal, in addition to the marring mark from the magazine.

It does not bother me at all, but I just don't see the point of coating the inside of the slide if the material is not hard enough for it to stay coated since it clearly won't prevent rusting like that over the long term.

http://tvseer.com/tp9sa_slide_wear.jpg  
View Quote

I'm not to worried about the wear near the barrel. That part of the gun usually has some kind of oil/lubricant.
What we are worried about is the gouging/removal of steel on the slide. I'm hearing this even happened with the older P99 as well.
So much for refinements...
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you don't want to be ignored then I would suggest you never ask Century Arms / Canik for service. As for your specific issue, it's not significant but it is yet another oversight on a firearm that hasn't been thoroughly designed. I use small amounts of high heat lithium grease at specific points of contact to mitigate such wear. Will these "issues" ever impede the reliability of the handgun? Probably not. Our concern is that we were sold a product that is technically defective due to a design oversight. Their solution is to tell us it's normal. Those who have pressed the issue and sent the handgun in for service have had work done that DOES NOT solve the issue but cures the symptoms (smoothing out the gouge and filing the magazines). In skdvr's friend's case...they "stole" his handgun. My suggestion? Enjoy the handgun like the "as-is" product it is and forget who sold it to you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I am actually enjoying using it as is since everything else works great and I was not expecting it to work as well as it does at that price from the start. I do have the same magazine gouging mark, not nearly as bad, but for me not really worth the effort to even attempt to get it fixed when I could be at the range still shooting.  I will probably fill the warranty card out now, though, instead of ignoring it.

I am one of the crazy few that actually thinks using the decocker they say is not technically a decocker as a decocker is a good idea, but I am just using it for target practice at the public range, not for self defense.  However, it is quite sensitive getting the distance right while using a press-check to recock, so I would never want to rely on that procedure under any real stress.  Other than messing around with that it is 0/167 on any failures so far.

It would be nice if they could clean up these minor issues in the future even at a slightly higher price, but I would probably still buy another one even with the minor issues, because you know I don't have one more for my left hand or 2 black ones yet. :)

As far as impeccable customer service, I will use this opportunity to give credit where credit is due to the people that helped me from both Leupold and Nosler within the past 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Both of mine look like that.  Every semi auto pistol I've owned has some type of wear in that spot.  My Sig scorpion had the same wear in the cerakote.  I imagine the coating is quite thin on the inside of the slide anyway so as not to affect the function of the pistol.  I love shooting mine also.  I'm having my desert tan pistol frame and grip insert cerakoted in Smith Brown and can't wait to get it back.  David

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My buddy just called Century and actually got to talk to someone. His gun is on a truck out for delivery right now. He is happy that it has been found and is on its way back. He is irritated though because since he did not know it was on its way back he is not going to be able to be there. Oh well, at least he is getting it back. He said the girl he talked to today was very nice and extremely surprised when she saw how long they had it.  

Phil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Off Topic but what is the deal with that Canik user group?

Seems like they don't want to approve my request to join.

Ah well. Heck on it
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Well looks like I've joined the "slide mar" club also--still under 300 rounds through the gun. Mine doesn't seem too bad, but I'm hoping when the TP9SF and TP9 V2 are released this issue will have been corrected...probably won't hold my breath though.

I'm still very happy overall with the gun thus far. I'm trying to put as many rounds through it as I can as quickly as I can but good grief ammo is expensive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Off Topic but what is the deal with that Canik user group?

Seems like they don't want to approve my request to join.

Ah well. Heck on it
View Quote

Huh, that is strange.  If you want to shoot me a PM with your name, I will send it to an admin of the page to see why they have not approved you yet.  They have been wanting to get more members on the group, not sure what the hold up is.

On another note.  One of the members of that group said that he just picked up a TP9SA and it has a machined groove where everyone is getting the gouge.  So it looks like they are fixing something that "is not a issue".  He is supposed to post pics of it tonight or tomorrow (hopefully).  If so I will share them over here too.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Sent the IM on facebook if it's cool.

Was just curious if he thought I was a spammer since I only use that specific account for 2A stuff/sign ups.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is the pic of the slide.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sent the IM on facebook if it's cool.

Was just curious if he thought I was a spammer since I only use that specific account for 2A stuff/sign ups.
View Quote

Sent it to me or to one of the Admin on the FB group?

Phil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Sent you a message. It might be in your "other" folder.

Messaged the admin the other day and no dice.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Checked my other folder and didn't see anything. Going to send you a pm here to make sure you got the right guy.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is the pic of the slide.

<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/pebalsamo/media/FB_IMG_1428458423577_zpsrkwqqaoz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/FB_IMG_1428458423577_zpsrkwqqaoz.jpg</a>

Phil
View Quote

This absolutely infuriates me! They know what the issue is, they FINALLY made an implementation to correct it and they HAVE NOT offered this to existing customers. They tell us it's only cosmetic. Really?! It's only cosmetic so let's machine a groove in the slide. Wow. So, it just is what it is for us I guess. This is ridiculous! This company is terrible.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
SO, FINALLY!  My buddy has his pistol back.  Well actually Century sent a new one, even though they told him originally that they de-burred his slide and worked on the magazine.  Anyway, he has a new TP9SA and it too has the machined groove in it.  Video to come, but we could not work out our schedules today to shoot it and I am going out of town in the morning.  So hopefully sometime next week his followup video will be up.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SO, FINALLY!  My buddy has his pistol back.  Well actually Century sent a new one, even though they told him originally that they de-burred his slide and worked on the magazine.  Anyway, he has a new TP9SA and it too has the machined groove in it.  Video to come, but we could not work out our schedules today to shoot it and I am going out of town in the morning.  So hopefully sometime next week his followup video will be up.

Phil
View Quote

This is good news for your friend. FINALLY! Unfortunately for me, I have requested the new slide as a replacement and have been DENIED on the grounds it's merely cosmetic. My argument was that if it was merely cosmetic then why would Canik go through the trouble to redesign an existing model without a distinction! My firearm has a known defect recognized by the manufacturer, cosmetic or not, and the importer is REFUSING to exchange a defective part for a newly redesigned part. They are also refusing a refund or a complete exchange. I've been given the "is what it is" routine with no method to follow for a resolution. I'm probably going to put mine on the EE if I continue to hit the infamous Century Arms Brick Wall Of Customer Service.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is good news for your friend. FINALLY! Unfortunately for me, I have requested the new slide as a replacement and have been DENIED on the grounds it's merely cosmetic. My argument was that if it was merely cosmetic then why would Canik go through the trouble to redesign an existing model without a distinction! My firearm has a known defect recognized by the manufacturer, cosmetic or not, and the importer is REFUSING to exchange a defective part for a newly redesigned part. They are also refusing a refund or a complete exchange. I've been given the "is what it is" routine with no method to follow for a resolution. I'm probably going to put mine on the EE if I continue to hit the infamous Century Arms Brick Wall Of Customer Service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

That really sucks that they are not willing to work with you.  I find it kind of interesting that they told my buddy they had fixed his pistol by deburring the slide and "working on" the magazines.  Then end up sending a new pistol.  

Hope you get something worked out with them.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That really sucks that they are not willing to work with you.  I find it kind of interesting that they told my buddy they had fixed his pistol by deburring the slide and "working on" the magazines.  Then end up sending a new pistol.  

Phil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

Phil

It was probably a lie to buy them time while they "fixed the fix" if you catch my drift. When they found out they couldn't, your buddy got a brand new handgun. For me, I'm not going to hold my breath. We now know the full extent Century Arms is willing to go for their customers. If by some miracle a resolution comes my way I will let you know. For now, if you could direct people to my thread, that would be great. If we get more traction there and enough people harass them, my hope is they will be pressured into making the right decision. My next step is a Better Business Bureau complaint (of which they are not accredited...HUGE shocker).
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is his Conclusion Video.  

https://youtu.be/C6mQ8cQ1k-M

He was frustrated with the process, but in the end he is happy with everything now.

Phil
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#24]
New gun.  Pretty sweet.  The squeaky  wheel gets the oil.  AND yes I'm jealous of the ice cube trays.  They made me laugh.  David
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
New gun.  Pretty sweet.  The squeaky  wheel gets the oil.  AND yes I'm jealous of the ice cube trays.  They made me laugh.  David
View Quote

Made me laugh too.  

Phil
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was probably a lie to buy them time while they "fixed the fix" if you catch my drift. When they found out they couldn't, your buddy got a brand new handgun. For me, I'm not going to hold my breath. We now know the full extent Century Arms is willing to go for their customers. If by some miracle a resolution comes my way I will let you know. For now, if you could direct people to my thread, that would be great. If we get more traction there and enough people harass them, my hope is they will be pressured into making the right decision. My next step is a Better Business Bureau complaint (of which they are not accredited...HUGE shocker).
View Quote

So you expect CIA to replace every single slide shipped over a surface blemish? They should lose money on every single pistol because of a scratch? My god you people drive me crazy... I couldn't even get a cotton swab to snag on my "scratch".

You bought a budget import handgun that should go bang every time. It does. If it doesn't send it in. If it does then what are you complaining about? If you actually "use" you firearm they get all sorts of marks and scratches. Barrels wear, slides wear, springs wear etc... Every time you shoot you gun its slowly wearing its self to death. Just shoot the stupid thing.

If you get holster wear are you going to demand a new slide? What about a new holster?

Its sad CIA had to mill a small pocket in the slide to get everyone to shut the hell up. If you look above, it doesn't "Fix" the scratch towards the safety plunger. I guess you should demand another fix?

Ill give you $200 shipped for your pistol because by your own accounts its practically ruined  and is of an inferior design. Ill be doing you a favor at a great price. Ill take your worthless scratched POS and shoot it for you.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So you expect CIA to replace every single slide shipped over a surface blemish? They should lose money on every single pistol because of a scratch? My god you people drive me crazy... I couldn't even get a cotton swab to snag on my "scratch".

You bought a budget import handgun that should go bang every time. It does. If it doesn't send it in. If it does then what are you complaining about? If you actually "use" you firearm they get all sorts of marks and scratches. Barrels wear, slides wear, springs wear etc... Every time you shoot you gun its slowly wearing its self to death. Just shoot the stupid thing.

If you get holster wear are you going to demand a new slide? What about a new holster?

Its sad CIA had to mill a small pocket in the slide to get everyone to shut the hell up. If you look above, it doesn't "Fix" the scratch towards the safety plunger. I guess you should demand another fix?

Ill give you $200 shipped for your pistol because by your own accounts its practically ruined  and is of an inferior design. Ill be doing you a favor at a great price. Ill take your worthless scratched POS and shoot it for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The arguments have been made and nothing you said here refutes them. Nothing you insist I said I actually did. Troll harder. Lurk more. Talk less.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Everyone please try to stay on topic and leave the purse swinging out of the discussion.
View Quote

Now that is funny, but does that mean I have to stop limp wristing my slide marred tp9sa to try to force it to misfeed just one time after 350 rounds?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I took my TP9SA out for the first time yesterday.  Owned it since December.  Of the 100 rounds of 124g ammo I put through not one single mag locked the slide back on the last round yet with an empty mag and I rack the slide, it locks but when shooting it doesn't.  What's causing this issue?

I'm in CA so I'm limited to 10 rounds but still here is two videos:

http://youtu.be/EOMNbr4EEf8

http://youtu.be/Ny6UCdH_st4
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I took my TP9SA out for the first time yesterday.  Owned it since December.  Of the 100 rounds of 124g ammo I put through not one single mag locked the slide back on the last round yet with an empty mag and I rack the slide, it locks but when shooting it doesn't.  What's causing this issue?

I'm in CA so I'm limited to 10 rounds but still here is two videos:

http://youtu.be/EOMNbr4EEf8

http://youtu.be/Ny6UCdH_st4
View Quote

This may be a silly question, but is it possible that your thumb is touching the slide release?  I have not shot a TP9SA for a while, but I do not remember exactly how far back it is.  I have that trouble with my Sig 226.  I had to modify my grip to keep my thumb off of it.  

Phil
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#32]
That's what Century is blaming my grip.  I will have to try it again to see and just off hand or one hand without my thumb near the slide lock:

The mark you are seeing on the under side of the slide was brought to our attention earlier this year. Century brought this issue to the manufacturer of the TP9SA, Canik, and the response was that the mark is cosmetic and will not affect the function of the pistol. The pistols that Canik has test fired tens of thousands of rounds through have the same wear mark but the mark has not affected the function in any way.

In the video it appears that you have a high, thumbs forward grip on the pistol. Due to the location and size of the slide lock lever, and the way it appears you are gripping the pistol in the video, can you confirm that your thumb doesn't ride the slide lock while you are shooting? My grip is very similar to yours, and its common for the slide not to lock back when I shoot most pistols because my thumb rides the slide stop and prevents it from engaging on an empty mag. I just want to rule that out before we proceed.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#33]
This video here shows how I now shoot the P226.  Try something like this and see if you get slide lock.

Their statement on the slide marring is bullshit.  Sure it probably will not cause a malfunction, but some of the gouges are bad enough to snag cleaning patches, q-tips, etc.  Or even give a nasty cut.  Who wants to mess with that, with a brand new gun.  Anyway, they deemed it to be a bad enough problem to fix it on all the newer guns, by milling a groove into the slide.

Phil
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree with the slide that they are trying to just put a bandaid over it.  Another issue I haven't reported is with the slide lock back and I insert a full mag hard enough the slide with slam forward by itself going into battery without me having to release the slide lock or pulling the rear slide and releasing to going into battery.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I would be less concerned about that.  It is common in different pistols.  Just depends on the spring tension and notch size in the slide.  

Let us know what happens with the slide lock after changing your grip a little.  

Phil
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Will do
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Shot the gun left handed and see if you get the slide to lock back.  I would bet it is your grip.  I have a P99 and the slide never locks back for me.  The TP9SA has the same slide release but it is a little lower and I don't have a problem.  I can't get Glocks to ever lock back on me.  I put a grip force adaptor on my G19 and the slide always locks back now.  It amazes me how such a small change can alter the weapon function.  David
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks Phil for the video and yes it helped:
http://youtu.be/6LhrauNXTe8
http://youtu.be/Z_7tcuHlJqg
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks Phil for the video and yes it helped:
http://youtu.be/6LhrauNXTe8
http://youtu.be/Z_7tcuHlJqg
View Quote

Good I am glad that it was just a grip issue.  You find a grip you like and stick with it, it will become natural pretty quickly.

Phil
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Will do.  I got frustrated and listed me gun for sale and I'm glad I didn't sell it.  It was a dream to shoot and the trigger is amazing and crisp with a nice reset.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding, it's freaking burr, and unless mag feed lips grow, it's self limiting.

Crazy.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%. Mine has it, and it is from the magazine. It's very minor. And for the $280 that I paid, I could care less.

Go buy a PPQ or a VP9 if it is a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I got one the other day (mid August 2015) , the slide is milled for the mag clearance.  I only have 150 rounds through it and have had 2 failures to fire. The first time I retracted the slide to recock and it fired, the next one I pulled to examine the primer. Not a hint of a striker imprint. I reloaded it and pulled the trigger, the round went off. The Canik occasionally, 1 out of 75 (so far) decocks when the trigger is pulled.

Any one else have this issue?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got one the other day (mid August 2015) , the slide is milled for the mag clearance.  I only have 150 rounds through it and have had 2 failures to fire. The first time I retracted the slide to recock and it fired, the next one I pulled to examine the primer. Not a hint of a striker imprint. I reloaded it and pulled the trigger, the round went off. The Canik occasionally, 1 out of 75 (so far) decocks when the trigger is pulled.

Any one else have this issue?
View Quote

I have had ONE failure to fire from my TP9SA in over 600(?) rounds thus far (came from ZQI 9mm NATO, otherwise flawless in this gun as well as every other 9mm I've tried it in).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top