Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:30:31 PM EDT
So my buddy (whom doesn't computer) just picked up a TP9SA.  We went to the range today and he put 350 rounds through it.  The gun ran great all afternoon with no issues.  I got to put a few of that 350 though it and really enjoy the gun.  When he got home and took it apart he noticed that there was a big scar on the inside top of the slide.  He started checking around and noticed that his two magazines were worn down on one of the feed lips.  Just curious if anyone else here has noticed this.

Here is a pic of the slide.

Here is the pic of the top of the magazine when inserted in the pistol.

He is going to call CIA on Monday, but I thought I would check with you guys too.

Thanks!
Phil

EDIT 4-23-15 to link both of his videos

First video before sending it to Century.
https://youtu.be/RlZgTGqveng

Second video after getting his new pistol.
https://youtu.be/C6mQ8cQ1k-M
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got slight scraping but nothing that severe. Also, your buddy's trigger spring looks like mangled shit. What happened? Are you shooting steel cased ammo out of it or something? There's definitely a good amount of extra grime in that pistol. Smooth that chunk out, give it a good clean, shoot some more BRASS out of it and let us know how it goes with the phone call.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
That trigger spring looked like that when it came out of the box.  He is going to bring that up to them too.  

No steel cased ammo.  It was 350 rounds of Freedom Munitions ammo.  I don't think it is really as dirty as it looks in the pic.  

Phil
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
1. it's CAI not CIA
2. that finish looks awful, like parkerized or something
3. that trigger spring looks different in each pic, the garbled up look is awful
4. that gouge in the slide is inexcusable
5. your friend needs to include these pics in an e-mail to CAI
try [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ha, Yeah I knew it was CAI.  I was getting ready to watch a movie about the CIA last night.  Oops.

The top pics (bad spring) are from my buddies pistol, and the second group of pics (good spring) are of adamshumpisxxx pistol.

Thanks for the email address.  I think he is emailing them right now.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, that's not good at all. I guess I'll hold off on picking one of these up for a little while.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has never been fired and has a small mark in the finish in the same spot as the others under the slide.  I haven't slammed any magazines in or anything like that.  I will say with 18 rounds in magazine you have to press fairly hard to get the mag to seat with the slide forward.   I've had a loaded 18 round mag in the weapon all weekend to try and get the spring to compress some.   I'll get a picture of the mark posted later.  I'm going shooting tomorrow so we can see the change in the mark.  David
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine has never been fired and has a small mark in the finish in the same spot as the others under the slide.  I haven't slammed any magazines in or anything like that.  I will say with 18 rounds in magazine you have to press fairly hard to get the mag to seat with the slide forward.   I've had a loaded 18 round mag in the weapon all weekend to try and get the spring to compress some.   I'll get a picture of the mark posted later.  I'm going shooting tomorrow so we can see the change in the mark.  David
View Quote

Thanks David, I'll be interested to hear what yours looks like after.  I don't think that full mags would have anything to do with it.  The feed lips will be in the same place weather or not there are 18 or 3 rounds in the mag.  It is interesting that you have a small mark there already though and you have not even shot it yet.  I'll let you all know what CAI says when my buddy hears back.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the mark on mine in an unfired weapon.  Will put a few hundred rounds through it when I get to work tomorrow and get another picture posted in the afternoon.  One would think the magazine metal is much softer than the slide.  Scuff marks in the finish are going to happen.  That divot in the metal is odd.  David

Well I put 350 rounds of Federal frangible and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Saber through it this morning in about an hour.  Here is the mark it made.  Not something I'm worried about since it shot fine.  David

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is the mark on mine in an unfired weapon.  Will put a few hundred rounds through it when I get to work tomorrow and get another picture posted in the afternoon.  One would think the magazine metal is much softer than the slide.  Scuff marks in the finish are going to happen.  That divot in the metal is odd.  David

<a href="http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/IMG_8682.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_8682.jpg</a>

Well I put 350 rounds of Federal frangible and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Saber through it this morning in about an hour.  Here is the mark it made.  Not something I'm worried about since it shot fine.  David

<a href="http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/IMG_0196.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_0196.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks for posting the pics.  I personally would contact Century Arms.  Weather or not it is functioning right now, it is not right.  If it continues to wear down you could run into some issues.  Maybe some of the metal gets worn and mushrooms over into the firing pin block plunger, then the pistol may not function.  Maybe you pick up a few new mags and since those have not been worn down yet by the slide, they make things worse.  Who knows what may or may not happen.  Obviously this is all just speculation of the Maybe's and Mightbe's, but at the very least I would want CAI to know about it, even if you do not want to send it back right now.  I have thousands or rounds though other pistols with no such marks.  

Phil
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Noticed my M&P even has a wear mark where the magazines... but no gouges like that..

You made me take a closer look at my own TP9SA, I see a bit of metal gone, but not much. The odd thing is my feed lips don't even look worn down.

Ran about 300 rounds of Wolf Poly Performance through it.

Wondering what century will say.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#11]
My buddy got a response from Century Arms just asking for all the info on the gun and for pics.  Since he sent them all that (yesterday morning I think) he has not heard back yet.  I am sure with Shot Show going on right now, they are short on staff.  When he does hear something I will pass it along.

Pihl
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
They just sent him a email, that they will send him a shipping label within two days.

I hope that they give him an explanation of the damage after they have a chance to take a look.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They just sent him a email, that they will send him a shipping label within two days.

I hope that they give him an explanation of the damage after they have a chance to take a look.

Phil
View Quote

You aren't alone man.. I spoke to a rep on facebook and they wanted me to forward the message to their customer service. He/She said something about wanting to send this to Canik. With this very firearm debuting at shot show, I think they are eager to fix this problem ASAP, even at a factory level.

I might have to send my Turkish Delight in as well :(

This can be a real awesome pistol for the money once the bugs are worked out. It's kind of the risk we take buying something so new.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it looks like mine's the same way, didn't even look at it or notice it until this post. Already emailed century. It looks like its the back most (tallest portion) of the magazine feed lips that are smacking the slide at some point.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I really hope that anyone with this issue at the very least contacts Century Arms and lets them know about it.  Even if you do not feel that it is something that you are going to worry about.  Let them know so they can hopefully identify the problem and get it fixed.  

Phil
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really hope that anyone with this issue at the very least contacts Century Arms and lets them know about it.  Even if you do not feel that it is something that you are going to worry about.  Let them know so they can hopefully identify the problem and get it fixed.  

Phil
View Quote

I'm really curious if anyone with Gen 1's have this issue.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You aren't alone man.. I spoke to a rep on facebook and they wanted me to forward the message to their customer service. He/She said something about wanting to send this to Canik. With this very firearm debuting at shot show, I think they are eager to fix this problem ASAP, even at a factory level.

This can be a real awesome pistol for the money once the bugs are worked out. It's kind of the risk we take buying something so new.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

I am glad that they seem to be willing and wanting to figure out the problem.  Lets just hope that Canik is just a willing.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I'm not the original owner of mine, so I guess I'm SOL according t the warranty card.  I also think Canik will look at this closely.  You would think it is an easy fix by milling out a few thousanths more under the slide.  If they ever come out with a 3.5 inch barrel version with 15 round mags, my G19 may start to get nervous.  David
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I have sent an eMail to Century Arms regarding this issue about my handgun. I doubt it is a major issue but I would like to see it addressed by Century Arms in some way. This has gone through rigorous testing in the tens of thousands of rounds with popular YouTube reviewers and I have yet to see this issue brought up in any serious way. Saying that, you can only take with a grain of salt the reviews by those who are paid to do so. I have linked Century Arms to this thread. Perhaps they might drop in and give an official word...Never know! Bookmarking this thread for great justice!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have sent an eMail to Century Arms regarding this issue about my handgun. I doubt it is a major issue but I would like to see it addressed by Century Arms in some way. This has gone through rigorous testing in the tens of thousands of rounds with popular YouTube reviewers and I have yet to see this issue brought up in any serious way. Saying that, you can only take with a grain of salt the reviews by those who are paid to do so. I have linked Century Arms to this thread. Perhaps they might drop in and give an official word...Never know! Bookmarking this thread for great justice!
View Quote

Always look on the bright side. Apparently mecgar magazines are bomb proof lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it makes perfect sense because the TP9-SA is "da' bomb"! Haha. Let's hope the customer support is of the same...caliber. PUN-TASTIC!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  very true.  I think Century Arms will step up and make these right some how.  I just want to make as many people aware as possible.  It is very possible others have the issue and just never noticed it.  Either they have not put many rounds through it or they are not cleaning them.  I don't clean my pistols after every range day.  Although this is a good reason to do it.  Not because the gun really "needs" it, but because it can help find parts that are wearing.  I encourage others to post links back to this post to anyone they know that has a TP9SA.  If you happen to know anyone with a TP9, I would be interested if anyone is having issues with those.  Although I think if they were, we would have heard or seen something by now.  

Phil
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Well this was very interesting, I've only ready good news on Canik up until now..

I just bought a Canik Shark C myself...well be checking for this mark on my slide to see if I have the same problem!

Won't be shooting it till this weekend tho!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Completely different pistol with a completely different design. You should have nothing to worry about. Even if you do...whatever issue you have wouldn't relate to the "issue" with the TP9-SA. If you do find the exact same issue caused by the exact same thing now THAT would be interesting!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a video that my buddy did about his TP9SA slide and spring issue.  It is getting shipped back today to Century Arms and he will do a followup video when he gets back a fixed or new pistol.

http://youtu.be/RlZgTGqveng

Phil
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy Phil told me to buy this

Nice and simple with no stupid music in the back ground.  Good job.  David
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My buddy Phil told me to buy this

Nice and simple with no stupid music in the back ground.  Good job.  David
View Quote

Yeah, he gets to blame this on me....  I shot the video for him, and he just wanted something short and simple, and I agreed...

Phil
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is what I got.

Me:
I just bought a TP9SA, handles great and was pretty reliable. I ran about 300 rounds of wolf poly performance and not 1 hickup.

I came across this thread. My user name is Capt_Destro

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/156687_.html&page=1&anc=1696027#i1696027

It made me take a look at my own TP9SA and I did find some slide wear internally. It looked like there was a small ding/gouge and some metal missing where the magazines contact the slide.

I guess this happened to a few others even with brass cased ammo.

Is there anyway this can be an issue that would affect the life span and reliability of the gun?

I'm forwarding this to you guys, I messaged your facebook account.
View Quote

Century:
David,

I do not foresee that as affecting the lifespan of the firearm. If the firearm starts to give you issues remember it does have a limited lifetime warranty.
View Quote

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here is what I got.

Me:

Century:

Hmmm...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here is what I got.

Me:
I just bought a TP9SA, handles great and was pretty reliable. I ran about 300 rounds of wolf poly performance and not 1 hickup.

It made me take a look at my own TP9SA and I did find some slide wear internally. It looked like there was a small ding/gouge and some metal missing where the magazines contact the slide.

Is there anyway this can be an issue that would affect the life span and reliability of the gun?

Century:
David,

I do not foresee that as affecting the lifespan of the firearm. If the firearm starts to give you issues remember it does have a limited lifetime warranty.

Hmmm...

WOW,  What a crappy response!  IMO anyway.  So they want you to run it for a while then after a few years when there is some sort of problem that relates to this issue they are going to use the "Limited" part of that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and say that if you noticed the problem so long ago you should've done something about it then.

I am very interested to hear what they have to say when they get my buddies pistol.  I truly did not expect a response like that...  Hopefully you just got some Customer Service Rep that was in a bad mood.

So just curious if you are going to push the issue about a return for repair/replace with them or not?

Thanks for posting their response.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

WOW,  What a crappy response!  IMO anyway.  So they want you to run it for a while then after a few years when there is some sort of problem that relates to this issue they are going to use the "Limited" part of that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and say that if you noticed the problem so long ago you should've done something about it then.

I am very interested to hear what they have to say when they get my buddies pistol.  I truly did not expect a response like that...  Hopefully you just got some Customer Service Rep that was in a bad mood.

So just curious if you are going to push the issue about a return for repair/replace with them or not?

Phil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is what I got.

Me:

Century:
David,

Hmmm...

Phil

I'm still deciding what to do about it. Wonder if it would be worth bitching about it since improper tolerances were measured. It's natural to expect wear marks or, even scratches. But the removal of metal is not normal.
Hell they could have just milled each slide a bit on contact areas and made a small depression or groove.

Opinions on this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm still deciding what to do about it. Wonder if it would be worth bitching about it since improper tolerances were measured. It's natural to expect wear marks or, even scratches. But the removal of metal is not normal.
Hell they could have just milled each slide a bit on contact areas and made a small depression or groove.

Opinions on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is what I got.

Me:

Century:
David,

Hmmm...

Phil

Opinions on this?

I personally would not have a problem with them just milling a few thousandths off (although I do not own one).  Even if it was a small grove in the slide.  At least it would be a clean machined mark, and could be noted that they did work on that particular ser #.  Scratches are perfectly fine with me.  Parts wearing out, again perfectly fine with me.  A groove like that with jagged metal being pushed around, I am not OK with.  Especially with only a few hundred rounds thorough a gun.  My buddies gun is bad enough that you could easily slice your finger open if you rubbed it inside the slide.  That is just not right.  I was actually kind of looking forward to picking one of these up.  Not so sure about it right now.  I really like the look of the DT TP9SA, but a large part will be how they handle my buddies warranty claim and others claims.

Phil
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I got off 200 rounds today before starting work and though I would post another photo of the slide.  Everything worked fine except for the few dud rounds.  I was shooting up some pretty nasty ammo that got wet during Sandy and I have to destroy.  So far it looks like cosmetic wear on the slide and doesn't seem any worse.  I bought this as a strict range toy and it works great for that purpose.  I do think Canik should probably machine off some of the slide in future production.  I'm sure all firearms manufactures make minor adjustments to production over the sales life of a weapon.  

I also changed out the grip to the larger size to see what it was like.  I didn't shoot any different and the bulge in the back strap seems like it helped push my hand further up into the back strap.  Probably just in my head but I think I'm going to leave the larger size on for a while.   It would be great to be able to buy extra inserts someday to stipple.  I know Century guns aren't known for online parts support though.  Who knows maybe this pistol will turn into something like the HS2000 became the Springfield XD.  David

Edit:  I got another 150 off after work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Glad it does not seem to be getting worse.  I would just keep an eye on it.  My buddy still has not heard anything from Century Arms yet, but there was some delay in getting the pistol to them because of the bad weather in the North East.  Hopefully next week he will hear something....

When I shot my buddies pistol he had the large backstrap on it.  I i liked the way it felt.  It was still a little smaller that I like, but not bad at all.  I agree that I think it helps keep a good high grip on the pistol...

Phil
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got off 200 rounds today before starting work and though I would post another photo of the slide.  Everything worked fine except for the few dud rounds.  I was shooting up some pretty nasty ammo that got wet during Sandy and I have to destroy.  So far it looks like cosmetic wear on the slide and doesn't seem any worse.  I bought this as a strict range toy and it works great for that purpose.  I do think Canik should probably machine off some of the slide in future production.  I'm sure all firearms manufactures make minor adjustments to production over the sales life of a weapon.  

I also changed out the grip to the larger size to see what it was like.  I didn't shoot any different and the bulge in the back strap seems like it helped push my hand further up into the back strap.  Probably just in my head but I think I'm going to leave the larger size on for a while.   It would be great to be able to buy extra inserts someday to stipple.  I know Century guns aren't known for online parts support though.  Who knows maybe this pistol will turn into something like the HS2000 became the Springfield XD.  David

<a href="http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/Canik/IMG_0197.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/Canik/IMG_0197.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/Canik/IMG_0198.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/Canik/IMG_0198.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/Canik/IMG_0201.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/Canik/IMG_0201.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your ammo cases look like the shell cases I found under my car floor mat. I'm guessing they got exposed to water lol? It's nice the Canik ran that ammo np though.

btw the frame tool is garbage, mine broke. Best off just using a roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm somewhere between 400-500 rounds with my TP9SA.  I also see this groove in my slide, but not much on the magazine.  I've already sent the gun back for a warranty claim due to the trigger sticking.

[youtube] http://youtu.be/hDVNzn6-IX8 [/youtube]

I'll be keeping an eye on that groove and the magazines. As part of making the videos on this gun I've collected several stories of questionable workmanship on this pistol. The only functional issues are permutations on the trigger issue I found, but still worth keeping an eye on them all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw that trigger video.  I can't seem to duplicate it on mine.  David
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here but....

Every major youtube channel that reviews firearms has skirted my questions about slide marring or hasn't really replied at all.
Wonder if they are doing so because of sponsorships?

James Yeager pretty much said "We don't care about cosmetics."

I pretty much replied that metal is being gouged, and removed from a slide is hardly cosmetic. So far no reply on that.

I was wondering if you heard anything else from century? My reply was hardly ideal.

Just smh over how this is currently being handled. Couldn't the striker block be negatively impacted by peened/"staked" metal?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I always wonder if these guys get the guns on loan to test and then send them back cleaned or not.  If that is the case I bet a few of them don't even know about the line under the slide.  I'm up to about 850 rounds through mine as of yesterday and the mark still looks just like it did in my earlier picture.  I've got about 1500 rounds of ammo that was submerged in salt water that I have to destroy.  I hope to get through it in the next month or so and we can see what wear continues.  David
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Dying to shoot mine again despite everything. The large backstrap actually feels best in my opinion. It fills the hand just like the medium M&P backstrap does.

Changing it was honestly a pain though. The tool was garbage, and they should honestly include a few spare roll pins.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot with both back straps yesterday and switched back to the smaller one.  The larger grip definitely feels better in my hand, but for some reason from the draw I was pointing better with the smaller grip.  For whatever reason when shooting steel plates at 25 yards I was getting the sight picture quicker and consistently knocking the plates down faster when using the smaller backstrap.  Not sure why but I changed back.  David
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#41]
My buddy still has not heard back from Century Arms yet.  I talked to him today and he could not remember when it got there (He works nights and was on his way to work).  There was a delay in the pistol getting to Century because of the weather in the N.E.  If does not hear anything from them by Friday morning, he is going to call and just see what the status of it is.  

There seems to be varying degrees of how much metal is being removed, so far I think my buddy's was the worse.  A lot of them seem to be a little more minor of a scratch.  Still something that is obviously not right though.  

Someone had commented on my buddy's video that they had taken a dremel to the back corner of their mags and that they are not rubbing anymore.  And there does not seem to be any issue with rounds being held in the mag.  IF (and this might be a big IF) Century mills a channel in the slide of my buddy's gun, I would suggest if it is something you want done you send it back to them and let them do it under warranty.  The last thing you want is to have a issue in a few years with the gun, and they deny a warranty claim because you did your own machining on the slide.

I have really been considering picking one of these up myself, and if I do it before Century or Canik fix what ever is causing the gouging I think I would just try and file down the mag a little.  Again, it is something that you should not have to do with a mass produced gun, but outside of this issue I think it is a good gun.  So far....

Phil
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I just called them today. The conversation went "ROUGHLY" as follows (with obvious edits for brevity):

(START OF CONVERSATION)

CSR: Hello. How may I help you today?

Me: Hello. I just wanted to make sure my warranty form was entered into your system properly and that I am covered by your standards in the event anything happens to my TP9-SA.

CSR: Sure. What eMail did you send it to?

Me: [email protected]

CSR: Yes. That is the correct one. My manager puts all of those names on a spreadsheet and in the event of a warranty claim all that has to happen is she looks at that sheet, confirms you are on it and processes the claim right away.

Me: Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear. One last question if I may? I have an issue, that you may or may not be familiar with about the TP9-SA, that many others are having as well. It's been talked about for a few pages now on ARFCOM. It's abou...(cut me off)

CSR: Oh, yes sir. The slide marring issue? We are well aware of that. We have contacted Canik for an official response which we will be providing as soon as they issue it to us. What I have been told from their manufacturers is that the issue is merely a cosmetic one and WILL NOT effect the functionality of the firearm. I'm sure you have seen the extensive reviews online? Well, on average, those handguns have gone through about 10K to 20K rounds and all of them present that issue. Not to worry as it has NEVER to date become a functional issue at any time. We even have a TP9-SA here that has 60K rounds through it and not a single functional issue. Once the marring gets to the point that it's going to get to, no additional wear occurs. The wear is caused by the right back feed lip on the magazine if you are looking at the magazine with the bullets pointed away from you. Some have said they have filed that part slightly but we don't recommend that. The issue poses no threat to the function of the handgun in our or the manufacturers experience. We consider it to be merely cosmetic.

Me: Well, that's a relief. Even if one part of the gouge is slightly mushrooming? Won't that eventually break loose and cause an issue?

CSR: No sir. The handgun we have here which is at 60K rounds presents no such issue. I will say that if you have any issue we would be more than happy to take care of that for you.

Me: Well, either way that's good to hear. Thank you.

CSR: Is there anything else I could help you with?

Me: No, thank you. Have a good day.

CSR: You too, sir.

(END OF CONVERSATION)

The conversation did not stray from this very far. A few chit-chat, bullshit, friendly comments back and forth all in good spirits. As I stated above, I do not consider this to be a real issue but if it ever does become one then I am satisfied Century Arms will take care of it. I am eager as to what the official comment from Canik will be but other than that...I would be fully confident in carrying this handgun if I so chose. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I think that is kind of good to hear and kind of not.  Obviously the gouge can only get so deep, but if there is a nasty edge or mushroomed metal it can become a major annoyance when cleaning it.  I hope that in my buddies case the at least clean up the gouge, and not just send it back with nothing done to it.  I would also disagree that if loose metal gets bouncing around inside the slide that it cannot cause a problem.  I think it is silly of the CSR to kind of blow that off.  Is it a HUGE deal, not really.  Could it cause a problem, absolutely.  But, WILL it cause a problem?  Chances are, probably not.  

I like how he referenced all the good reviews online.  Even though the bulk of those (the early ones) are loaner guns that the shooter probably did not even take apart to clean.  

It is good to know that they have addressed the issue with Canik.  

Going to say this again.  I think that it is still a good gun for the money, and I would personally still consider buying one.  But I want to see how they handle my buddies slide first.  If they just leave it with the mushroomed metal, then that is really crappy.  If they clean it up, then that would be acceptable to me personally...

Phil
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Just to address that one issue you had with reviewers online...He did say that when they got the firearms back that they were cleaned and checked for failures against what the range report said from the reviewers. So, it's not as if they were never cleaned, checked and tested after the reviews. That is if we are to take the CSR at his word. I have no reason not to judging by what has been confirmed so far. My only curiosity is going to be what their official comment has to say. Everything else is up to my standards. Let us know what happens to your friends handgun! Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I have to agree with century on this one.  If people were complaining about FTE or FTF's then that's something.  The trigger issue one of the posters mentioned, that's something.

The finish and a little metal being worn off on the inside of your firearm... nothing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have to agree with century on this one.  If people were complaining about FTE or FTF's then that's something.  The trigger issue one of the posters mentioned, that's something.

The finish and a little metal being worn off on the inside of your firearm... nothing.
View Quote

Agreed. The trigger issue is, however, extremely isolated and only 3 people (including that poster) can accurately replicate that issue. 1 of those 3 (judging by what he / she said in the comment on the video explaining the issue) can't replicate it 100% of the time. I myself cannot replicate the issue even partially. I keep "wishing" I could hate this handgun and trade it in for a G17 but I just can't bring myself to regret the purchase. Got to hand it to the Turkish on this one. They can make a 9mm handgun!
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Update: The trigger "issue" has been solved by the user who brought it up. Video below. Great conclusion from an honest reviewer. I do not agree with his "high number" extrapolation of users who experience his exact issue but I can see where he is coming from. Great guy with honest opinions. I suggest you subscribe to his channel. Other than that...here's waiting on the official comment about the slide marring!

VIDEO
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Just wanted to give an update since my buddy was supposed to call yesterday.  He did not get to call, he got busy and had to go into work early.  He did email them to get some sort of a update and has not heard back yet.  More than likely he will probably hear back on Monday sometime.  

As far as the test guns being sent out and reviewed.  I meant that the reviewers did not clean then, so they probably wouldn't notice the marring (if there was any).  I would think that Century would clean them and check them before sending them out again.  I would have no reason to doubt what the CSR said.    I too am very interested in what the Official response will be...

Phil
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#49]
The pistol is in the shipping dept coming back.

He sent them a email asking for the status of it and all they told his was that it was in shipping.  I will pass along what he finds after he gets the pistol back...

Phil
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#50]
FYI

I contacted them about mine, they offered to have me send it back for warranty repair etc.

I haven't yet decided if its worth me doing, I mean all they're likely to do is replace the slide / pistol and I'd get a gun back that's just going to do the exact same thing.

Unless they're going to send me a whole new gun that has the issue correct (ether a cut in the slide or mag seeting adjust etc) there's not much point in sending it in, I'm just going to get a gun back that's going to do the same thing.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top