Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2014 3:35:13 PM EDT
We live in an apartment at the moment, and my wife is more comfortable with the thought of a pistol than a rifle in her hands for HD. She really likes the cobra fs380 she looked at, weight, size, fit in her hand, ease of use, except the small mag capacity... trying to find out if it is a solid choice for an HD gun. We're concerned a .40 or .45 would be too hard on her to fire repeatedly if need presents itself. Neither of us are big framed people.
Logic I've found suggests a .380 has less oomph than a standard 9mm, therefore less over pen issues especially firing hollow-point rounds? But is it enough?
Any personal experience is more than welcome. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would stay away. It appears to be the Lorcin design, or close to it. Cheaply made junk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would stay away. It appears to be the Lorcin design, or close to it. Cheaply made junk.
View Quote

About sums it up...

Forrest

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Stay away.
The design was as noted above is the Lorcin design. It is not safe to carry or have a round chambered. It does not have a Firing Pin Safety or drop safety.
The design is usually only reliable with FMJ, not hollowpoints.
Wait for Academy sports (if one is close to you) and look at the SW SD9VE that often come up for sale at 289.00
Do not waste your money on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Pure trash.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Like others said "Cobra" is not something I would bet my life on.

Also, .380acp is not necessarily easier to handle than 9x19, .40S&W or .45acp. Yes, it is a weaker cartridge but it is also offered on mostly lightweight, simple blowback firearms giving that diminutive cartridge a quite snappy perceived recoil. Years ago, before anybody told my Wife any different she fired a Bersa .380acp next to a 1911 in .45 and preferred the .45 because "it hurt less in [her] hand" (note the quotes).

My $0.02- Get her (or any new shooter) started with a good .22 rimfire. They are dirt cheap right now and while the ammunition is still hard to find and relatively expensive (compared to pre-FBHO) it is still cheaper than anything centerfire. After she has mastered the .22 let her try a selection of guns from .380 (if you insist) up to .45acp and beyond until she finds a gun/caliber combo that works for her. Seriously, the days of simply parroting; "a woman NEEDS a .38 or .380" are over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend any other .380, maybe a Bersa if you are looking for a solid budget option.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would recommend any other .380, maybe a Bersa if you are looking for a solid budget option.
View Quote

Show her a Bersa Thunder 380.
She'll forget all bout that crappy Cobra.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've looked at the Cobra .380 at gun shows.  It is identical to an old Davis P380 that I have.  My Davis is very touchy.  If you don't hold it just right, it will jam every time.  Also it bites.  It is very easy to hold too close to the slide.  I've had it cut my hand between the thumb and index finger.  The only reason I have mine is because it was a gift.  My mom bought it for me as a gift when I got my first concealed license.  

I currently carry a Springfield XDS .45.  The 9mm version might be a good option.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, we are reconsidering. There is a range near us that will gives you unlimited rentals for an hour, we are planning on her trying a few out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I am unfamiliar with the cobra model but in general am not a big fan of 380s. Weak power and almost all of them are a handful to shoot well due to grip size and moderately bad sights .

If carry is not a issue and the use is as a " house gun " a mediun to larger sized gun is way better than a small .380 . When you go to the range try out a G19 , G17 and a mid sized S&W revolver in 38 or 357 .
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
If  she has small hands, take a look at the kahr. Very underrated pistols imo.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pure trash.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top