Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 12:55:31 AM EDT
Okay, I have only owned one pistol before in my life and it was a Bersa .380 and it grew legs and walked off years ago. That being said I decided to get my concealed carry and get a pistol for every day carry. I have poured over the internet and after awhile it becomes a wash of the same old pissing match between what gun is better. So in the interest of keeping it simple and getting me the information I need:  

I only have about $550 to spend on this weapon
I would prefer to have a weapon with an external hammer
I would like it to be comfortable to hold and shoot
I would prefer for it to not jam on a regular basis
I want a .45, I just like to have the power (sue me)

I love the 1911 but can't afford one
I've been looking at the Baby eagle but I'm unsure
The S&W M&P is also on my radar but again I'm unsure,
Without the ability to fire these weapons myself i feel like I'm feeling around in the dark.

Could some of you more experienced peeps help me out.[font=Times New Roman][/font=Times New Roman]

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
smith and wesson m&p  great gun i have 2 40 and 45 love them
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother in law just got the 40 but hasn't picked it up from the shop yet.will I be able to tell how the 45 is by handling the 40?
And how is it for a daily carry?

And do you know anything about the baby eagle II?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of 1911s for less than your budget.  RIA, ATI, Para, etc.

Here is a deal on a lot of the Para 1911s starting at $399 after rebate:  http://www.gunsmidwest.com/#!dealerpricing/c1vb6

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
What does your holster, belt and ammo budget look like?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to get whatever I needed after the fact, I hadn't really thought about it, I wouldn't wanna spend too much tho. Maybe $50-100. I keep hearing a lot about glocks too but I really want an external hammer. I really need to be pointed into the right direction
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get hung up on a glock. There are lots of great pistols out there. Are you also wanting to use this gun for home defense or is it strictly for carry?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W 457 or 4513.

Welcome to Arfcom btw!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S&W 457 or 4513.

Welcome to Arfcom btw!
View Quote

Going old school, I like it
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
It's for both. I want to be able to carry it daily and have it for home Defence. I will be getting a second one later to keep at home but for right now I'm focused on the carry. But I wany something nice size but not uncomfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest something like a ruger SR9c. It has a short mag for carry and a longer mag with grip sleeve that gives a full size gun feel for HD. It's also well within your budget leaving room for a holster and a little ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sig P250c in 45 fits all your criteria.  Very comfy gun to shoot, but it does have a long DAO trigger that you may not like (takes some getting used too).  Carries great, quite light, super reliable, and comes with night sights.  

As said above, there are plenty of 1911's in your budget.

If you're interested in M&P's, it would be worth your time to look at glocks as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the deal with glocks, every one is talking about glocks all over the internet
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the deal with glocks, every one is talking about glocks all over the internet
View Quote

They are good pistols and glock is great at marketing.  These days every manufacture makes a polymer pistol that is just as reliable as glock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glock's are AK's of pistol world.  Every time you pull the trigger it goes boom. You can do many nasty things to glock and it will still shoot,  and shoot straight. That said, first three glock's I've shot I couldn't hit a broad side of the barn. Until I bought my 23 for very very good price just because I couldn't say no. And after about 200-300 rounds of initial practice it's my daily carry. They are light, durable (yes I know it's plastic) and they do what they ment to. Personally I would not buy another one,  because one glock is all you need ;)

But to answer your original question.
I feel like you are in the same boat as i was 6 years ago. I started with full size Rock Island 1911 for $360+ (because for some reason I love 1911's), couple years from that i've decided that it would be smarter and easier to conceal something smaller, And i thought long and hard between Sig p239, compact 1911 (what ever model i could find for the right price) and Glock 38, went out and shot them and Ended up with P239 for couple of years, then glock 23 for couple and I just ordered Para Expert Carry in ,45, I always had a soft spot for 1911.
You can order Para right now from CDNN for $499 AFTER mail in rebate. If you like 1911's maybe something worth looking in to. Sounds like para been putting out good quality products and its hard to find compact 1911 for that price/
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you like best and fits your hand best.  I dont think you can make a mistake with the name brand pistols.  Maybe some of the cheap 45s might be problematic, but most everything in the category is about as reliable and durable as a Glock nowadays.  Glock definitely has the edge with respect to aftermarket parts availability.

How about the upcoming Grand Power P45?  There are no stateside reviews yet but if its like its little brother it will be reliable, accurate and have a perfect trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top