Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 5:42:02 PM EDT
Thinking of buying one anyone have experience with it ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to a discussion of my experience with Steyr.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/149652_Steyr_L9_vs_M9_any_opinions.html

Never again!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never again!
View Quote

I have just the opposite experience.  I have a s9-a1 and couldnt be happier. It does not like the harder primers in steel cased ammo though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Never again!
View Quote

Steyr pistols are imported in very small quantities.

If they don't have the parts, you have to wait until the parts arrive from Europe.

You only waited TWO months, which isn't much at all  when compared to other companies out there.
While you did talk of Glock and getting a part mailed to you in three days, Glock and Steyr aren't even in the same league as far as production goes.

You didn't like it and sold it, that's fine - but your "Never Again!" comment seems to suggest you have an axe to grind. Just my observation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an M357 A1.

It is one of the last made and is Bessemer marked. No more .357 sig Steyr guns ever again.

Shoots well, as it should. No other experience beside that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:You didn't like it and sold it, that's fine - but your "Never Again!" comment seems to suggest you have an axe to grind. Just my observation.
View Quote

No ax to grind. Just trying to help others avoid any issues with companies that can't compete.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a M40A1 and M9A1.  Had some problems with the extractors initially but Steyr sent me some new ones and they've been fine ever since.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a M40A1 and M9A1.  Had some problems with the extractors initially but Steyr sent me some new ones and they've been fine ever since.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No ax to grind. Just trying to help others avoid any issues with companies that can't compete.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:You didn't like it and sold it, that's fine - but your "Never Again!" comment seems to suggest you have an axe to grind. Just my observation.

What does "can't compete" mean?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't compete with other companies from a service, production, marketing standpoint. If they aren't able to take care of the customer in a timely manner then that is a failure on their part. I worked at the largest local gun store in Central Ohio when Steyr first started importing their polymer pistols, and they quickly showed their lack of any support after the first shipment. Then shortly after the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban expired, Steyr returned to that same dealer showing off the Aug A3 version and it was going to be in the US in 6 months and how many years did it take to deliver on that promise? Another shop I frequent recently tried to become a Steyr dealer due to no one else carrying them locally, and Steyr confirmed that they would but offered little support afterward. If they aren't going to take the US market seriously then they need to leave.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Fair enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Just an FYI for those who have (or are thinking of buying) a Steyr M9A1 and have had trouble finding a holster for it (like I did), the Blackhawk "Serpa" holster for a Ruger P95 fits the Steyr.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up one of the new Bessemer marked  M9A1 pistols and have put about 800 rounds through it so far with no problems.  Love the grip and so far it's my favorite polymer pistol.  The sights took me a few minutes to get used to but are pretty quick to put on target.  Holsters are not as plentiful as other models but  they are not hard to find.

Eta:  I have toured both the former Steyr facility and the new one in Bessemer.  The former facility was much smaller and the lack of space didn't allow for them to stock parts like they wanted.  The new facility has allowed them to stock a massive amount of various parts for their entire product line so I imagine getting replacement parts for them now should be much better and quicker than in the past.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I will be purchasing an L9-A1 this month as a birthday gift to myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one of their original M series guns. Racking the slide or firing the gun doesn't always set the action. I've contacted the company many times. They said they weren't the Steyr that brought it in to the country. So, it's not their problem.

It sits in a safe waiting for a gun buy back most likely.

Hopefully, the new ones are better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got one of their original M series guns. Racking the slide or firing the gun doesn't always set the action. I've contacted the company many times. They said they weren't the Steyr that brought it in to the country. So, it's not their problem.

It sits in a safe waiting for a gun buy back most likely.

Hopefully, the new ones are better.
View Quote

Sounds like you got one of the contract guns that got brought in by places like Cheaper than dirt.  A lot of people got screwed by that deal.  For a while Steyr was still working on them but they stopped because they were so jacked up.

OP:  A lot of the older issues and kinks seem to have been worked out.  Owners of the newer ones seem to like them by and large.  I have an L9A1 and absolutely love it.  It fits well and points well in the hand, and the low bore axis is very well implemented.  They will never be as common or well-supported as a Glock, but they are fun to shoot and extremely well-made.  Just MHO.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one of the original M9s and it was an excellent pistol.  Ran 100%. Had a great trigger but the sights took some getting used to.  I thought it was better than my Glock.  Alas I sold it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I have relatively short fingers and the grip on the M9-A1 works really well for me.

Trigger is pretty nice.  Only problems I've had thus far were when my nephew limp-wristed the pistol while firing it and it experienced some stove-pipes.  That's a fairly common issue with polymer pistols, though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I would not carry any other polymer pistol I trust it over anything else I own.  and I have had awesome customer service from them. I own a few other Steyr products as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked one up a few weeks ago. So far i love it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
1000 or so rounds through mine. 100% reliable and eats anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had my M40-A1 about a year and a half. Just put another 100 rounds through it yesterday, which should put me right at 1400 rounds total. It has yet to have a problem, 100% perfect function with 98% of the rounds being my reloads. Everything I've thrown at it it has digested. The sights are great, the trigger wonderful, and the mags easily available and cheap. The only work it has needed was a grip stipple. For the money it is hard to beat.

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#22]
if  they'd just make a 45........... ya baby
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know where to get a threaded barrel for a M9-A1?  Steyr's website has been out of stock for ever.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone know where to get a threaded barrel for a M9-A1?  Steyr's website has been out of stock for ever.
View Quote

Try calling Steyr directly.  I'm sure they can get you one.  They may actually have them in stock but not listed on the website.  They try to keep a little of everything in hand now that the new facility has room for parts storage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got an S9-A1 and, so far, have been very impressed.  It only has a couple of hundred rounds through it, but has eaten anything that I have given it.  Including a bunch of re-manufactured stuff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got an S9-A1 and, so far, have been very impressed.  It only has a couple of hundred rounds through it, but has eaten anything that I have given it.  Including a bunch of re-manufactured stuff.
View Quote

I have 1,000+ through my S9-A1, it doesn't like wolf or tula - I get light primer strikes 5/10 times.Every other ammo runs 100%
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I walked into a pawn shop several weeks ago and they had a practically brand new Steyr M40-A1 in the case. I got it out the door with the original case, 2-12 round mags and both safety keys for $300. I absolutely
love it. Ive ran several hundred rounds and not one issue. Very accurate and trigger is great. I can out shoot my buddies at the range and they have some high dollar kimbers and sigs. There are a few aftermarket parts
if you look hard enough. There is a guy on the Steyr club forums that goes by the name Big Taco that makes a few things.I highly reccomend the stainless steel guide rod an the striker spring cups.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I walked into a pawn shop several weeks ago and they had a practically brand new Steyr M40-A1 in the case. I got it out the door with the original case, 2-12 round mags and both safety keys for $300. I absolutely
love it. Ive ran several hundred rounds and not one issue. Very accurate and trigger is great. I can out shoot my buddies at the range and they have some high dollar kimbers and sigs. There are a few aftermarket parts
if you look hard enough. There is a guy on the Steyr club forums that goes by the name Big Taco that makes a few things.I highly reccomend the stainless steel guide rod an the striker spring cups.
View Quote

Nice pawn shop grab.  300 is a steal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
There is one at a local shop for a rather good looking price. Think I will pick it up sometime this week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is one at a local shop for a rather good looking price. Think I will pick it up sometime this week.
View Quote

Do it and report back.  Love hearing feedback on these pistols.  Love mine and hate they don't get more recognition.  Also Alien Gear Holsters now has models that fit the Steyr pistols.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Been wanting to get a Steyr handgun of some sort for years.

Just got it, haven't shot it yet but the quality is superb. The trigger far better than any striker fired pistol I have ever used. The trapezoidal sights are neat and it fits my hand wonderfully. I will hopefully do a whole write up on it on the freedom feens blog.

I believe mernickle makes holsters for them. There's something that really tickles me about plastic guns going into leather holsters and steel and wood guns going into Kydex
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just an FYI for those who have (or are thinking of buying) a Steyr M9A1 and have had trouble finding a holster for it (like I did), the Blackhawk "Serpa" holster for a Ruger P95 fits the Steyr.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/Forever-A-Soldier/100_9036_zps7b788ade.jpg

F.A.S. Out
View Quote

Can you comment on how well it fits? Theres a big difference between it will fit and it rattles around.

I've been considering carrying my M9a1 as an around the house gun. I dont normally carry on my person at home, but I have a newborn now

Just to share my experience the little Steyr has been fantastic. More than 1500 rounds through my wife and I's hands (she shoots it more than I do) and not a single issue. JHPs, ball, reloads, steel case... just keeps on going. She shot it in a 4 day pistol course from goofy angles, dirty, sweaty, etc and it ran flawlessly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I purchased a clevland holster for mine, very good fitment.

http://www.clevelandholsters.com/

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had my m9a1 for about 8 years now. Initially I had extraction issues. I slipped a 1911 plunger spring inside the factory extractor spring. It now throws brass like an AK lol

Its the most accurate handgun I own, and 100% reliable after the extractor fix. It has right at 2k rounds through it, over 1k without cleaning. Holsters can be hard to find. I managed to find a nice leather thumb break, and even though I make kydex holsters, I haven't gotten around to making one for myself yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up an L9-A1 a short while ago. I got the upgraded ejector from Steyr USA (Great customer service) for free and after that I have shot around 200 round without a problem, 150 of those being tula and ZQI. The gun is very accurate. At 7 yards the groups were 1 inch. You get used to the sights quickly, and frankly I like them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I picked up an L9-A1 a short while ago. I got the upgraded ejector from Steyr USA (Great customer service) for free and after that I have shot around 200 round without a problem, 150 of those being tula and ZQI. The gun is very accurate. At 7 yards the groups were 1 inch. You get used to the sights quickly, and frankly I like them.
View Quote

Is there an SN range where they'll give you the ejector.  I have an L9-A1 but barely shoot it so I wouldn't know if it needed it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Love my M9-A1 have had it for 2yrs. No problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top