Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 5:38:34 PM EDT
I'm really interested in getting a Steyr pistol because I like odd or off the beaten path kind-of guns.  It seems like it is much easier to find M9s since they've been around longer than the new L9.  While I like the idea of a long barrel, since I'll just be shooting and fondling it occasionally, not carrying it, I don't know if it's worth the extra cost.

Does anyone have any actual experience with these two pistols, that could give me an opinion?  Right now I'm leaning towards a nice used M9 if I can find one for a good price over the L9's which all seem to be still NIB or LNIB.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a C9-A1 in 9mm back in February and had to send it back because the slide wouldn't consistently go into battery when releasing the slide. Steyr sent me a shipping label to return it and stated it would be a 3-4 week turnaround for the repairs, but the last I was told 2 weeks ago was they were waiting on a part for a piece of equipment that repairs the pistols. The pistol is very accurate, with little muzzle climb and has a light trigger, but if a company can't back their products up with better customer service then I'll look elsewhere. That's my experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i bought an m9 years ago on a whim. my wife shot it one and declared it was her new ccw pistol. i haven't seen it since.  very good shooting handgun but mags are a bit expensive.and hard to find
View Quote

Did you see the mag prices on CDNN?  Seem to be reasonable, but then again, I don't know what your threshold of "expensive" is.  I'm used to Glock so $25-30 for a mag is not too crazy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned a first gem m40, and currently own an s9-a1.
I lucked out at the gun show i bought the S9 at as the table had all four sizes (c9, s9, m9, l9). My advice is find a seller who has all of them to hold. I went in wanting the c9, and gladly left with the s9.

As far as the slide not locking forward, some had a small burr on the internals that needed to be polished off.

My s9 will not fire brown bear ammo, I get light primer strikes consistently. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as the slide not locking forward, some had a small burr on the internals that needed to be polished off.
View Quote

Well, for something that sounds like a simple repair seems to be an issue for Steyr's repair facility.

coloradocopper

Until they improve their customer service, can make a pistol that will compete with the likes of Glock, HK, etc and will increase the importation of their products to show they're seriously interested in the US market then I would pass on buying anything Steyr makes at this time.

Caveat Emptor
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol... i had a walther down 9 months waiting on a hammer that broke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a C9-A1 in 9mm back in February and had to send it back because the slide wouldn't consistently go into battery when releasing the slide. Steyr sent me a shipping label to return it and stated it would be a 3-4 week turnaround for the repairs, but the last I was told 2 weeks ago was they were waiting on a part for a piece of equipment that repairs the pistols. The pistol is very accurate, with little muzzle climb and has a light trigger, but if a company can't back their products up with better customer service then I'll look elsewhere. That's my experience.

lol... i had a walther down 9 months waiting on a hammer that broke.

Yep, Walther makes nice pistols, and I have several, but they also need to improve their customer service and import their products faster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, for something that sounds like a simple repair seems to be an issue for Steyr's repair facility.

coloradocopper

Until they improve their customer service, can make a pistol that will compete with the likes of Glock, HK, etc and will increase the importation of their products to show they're seriously interested in the US market then I would pass on buying anything Steyr makes at this time.

Caveat Emptor
View All Quotes
Quoted:

coloradocopper

Caveat Emptor

Thanks for the real advice, Major.  When I start to get the itch, the whole Caveat Emptor thing is easy to forget sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
m9 owner here. love love love it! ordered a  new extractor and spring, delivery time 4 days. price, free
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of curiosity, how far out of battery was it? Was it similar to this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opy4dwLqhtw
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, mine slide hangs up due to something in the slide from what the rep at Steyr told me. What they are doing to fix it is unknown to me as I haven't been able to get a hold of them for over a week. I have emailed them once and called several times with no success.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
There really isn't much difference between the M9, and the L9, the extra 1/2" on the front end does help to slightly reduce the already light feeling recoil, it's one of those issues of what you rather have, a 4, or a 4.5" barrel.  Steyr just moved into their new facility, and things have gotten behind, their customer service has always been good, and the speed of the warranty work, timely, the move may have slowed things down, that and the severe damage to the area from the storms/tornados early last week..  If they need to do polishing on the slide, they would more than likely use a milling machine of some type, I doubt an outfit like Steyr would allow a firearm to have precision work done to it, with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There really isn't much difference between the M9, and the L9, the extra 1/2" on the front end does help to slightly reduce the already light feeling recoil, it's one of those issues of what you rather have, a 4, or a 4.5" barrel.  Steyr just moved into their new facility, and things have gotten behind, their customer service has always been good, and the speed of the warranty work, timely, the move may have slowed things down, that and the severe damage to the area from the storms/tornados early last week..  If they need to do polishing on the slide, they would more than likely use a milling machine of some type, I doubt an outfit like Steyr would allow a firearm to have precision work done to it, with a Dremel.
View Quote

The repair invoice stated the firing pin and firing pin spring were the only parts replaced and it only took them two months to accomplish that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The repair invoice stated the firing pin and firing pin spring were the only parts replaced and it only took them two months to accomplish that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw you sold this on the EE MAJORSDAD, guess that says where you're at with Steyrs
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
it took walther 9+ months to mail me a hammer and spring for a p22. look at the length of time it took springfield to repair the xd's under that recall.

2 months ain't shit for repair work from most companies.
View Quote

Like I said, Walther needs to work on their customer service also and with Springfield, that was a major recall of multiple pistols.

I've had to deal with Glock once in 15+ years, and they mailed me the parts in 3 days.

My main issue is that I was told 3-4 weeks and it ended up being two months. With modern day communication, they shouldn't have any excuses when it comes to letting their customers know what's going on. Steyr has been known to be poor at this for years, along with other issues and that is why they lag behind the pack. Anyway, my two Steyr products are sold, and I could give a shit how they run their company now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top