Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2014 1:37:16 AM EDT
Whoever gets one first, check in here and give us first impressions.  Supposedly they shipped today, so I'm curious when they will hit the market.  It looks like an intriguing design.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If I may, source for ship date?
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently "The Truth About Guns" just received a couple:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/just-arrived-remington-r51/
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I may, source for ship date?
View Quote

It was "The Firearm Blog".  I just received a Twitter PM from Remington just saying, "This month."
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the nice and detailed response I received from Remington after inquiring about the release date:

The new Remington R51 9mm+P subcompact concealed carry pistol is in LRIP (low rate initial production). Early production units are being extensively tested to confirm design quality and durability. Over the next two weeks, we will complete testing on the initial pistols and ramp up component production. We expect first production units to ship to distributors in early to mid February. Retailers should have product by mid-February.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm considering trading in my Kahr PM9 for one of these, but I'd like to shoot one before I do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking into buying one. If i like it, i may even give up my glock 27 for conceal carry duty. Sad to admit that since im a glock nut swinger.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#8]
"The Truth About Guns" has stated that their R51 review will be released sometime today, the 10th.

ETA:  Maybe not a review, just a shooting video.

YouTube
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I was hoping it would be no bigger than my LC9 but the more I see the bigger it looks.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"The Truth About Guns" has stated that their R51 review will be released sometime today, the 10th.

YouTube
View Quote

The guy in the video looks as if he is having some difficulty with the trigger. I like the idea behind the pistol and the way it looks but if it has a crap trigger it's a no go for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The guy in the video looks as if he is having some difficulty with the trigger. I like the idea behind the pistol and the way it looks but if it has a crap trigger it's a no go for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YouTube

It's based off the original browning design. So it should be much like a 1911 trigger, if it's all assembled right. I guess these guns - since they're based off the original Browning design - are a bit complicated. And if you don't put it together exactly right it will have issues.

This is in stark contrast to glocks / M&Ps / etc that are a very easy design to field strip.

Either way, I kinda want one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's based off the original browning design. So it should be much like a 1911 trigger, if it's all assembled right. I guess these guns - since they're based off the original Browning design - are a bit complicated. And if you don't put it together exactly right it will have issues.

This is in stark contrast to glocks / M&Ps / etc that are a very easy design to field strip.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YouTube

The original Remington 51 was a John Pederson design.  Browning had nothing to do with it.  It looks somewhat like a Browning 1910 but is a completely different creature.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of the comments regarding "feel" haven't been  complimentary; feels cheap, etc.  I have a Remington R1 and if this gun feels anything like the high quality R1, Remington has a winner.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm considering trading in my Kahr PM9 for one of these, but I'd like to shoot one before I do.
View Quote

Well, they're not in the same league sizewise. I've considered getting one, but I wouldn't do so with the idea it would replace my PM9.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn't seem prudent. A PM9 can fit places a R51 can not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YouTube

Well, he's having trouble with the lack of a discernible reset.  That and he's jerking the trigger pretty bad through the long takeup.

I see he's using the slide release instead of pulling the slide back.

Would be curious for a trigger guy to look one over and see if he can't fix the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Well, it's near months end and I still haven't seen any in stock, nor any new info on when it might happen.        

I know(think) that we are supposed to dislike Remington, but I was really intrigued by the test videos I have watched.

I had money set aside for a new handgun and quickly decided that I was going to wait for the R51.

Any new updates/inside information as to a release date.....a real one?

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, it's near months end and I still haven't seen any in stock, nor any new info on when it might happen.          

I know(think) that we are supposed to dislike Remington, but I was really intrigued by the test videos I have watched.

I had money set aside for a new handgun and quickly decided that I was going to wait for the R51.

View Quote

Some mentioned to watch Gunbroker.....canary in the coal mine and all that....
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
There was one at the LGS, I will see if they still have it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for the reply.

Sad...but true.

I had not thought of  a GB watch as a verifying meter.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Do want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Well....they have made it to GB.

Just search on R51.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well....they have made it to GB.

Just search on R51.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.....but....

Yikes! Too steep on the prices.

I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes for me locally.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, no doubt about that.

I started bidding on one of them.  $425 or so with no CC fee and free shipping I could do.

$500+.     Meh, not today.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#26]
With the $75 rebate you could almost get an R1 for that. Hopefully the crazy will not last long and stay on GB.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw one at the Houston gun show today, vendor wanted more than $570 for it, can't remember the exact price.  He was the only table to have one, and I guess he knew that.  Oh well, got a new SP101, it was a good day.  Hopefully the price for R51s will un-crazy soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Saw one at the Houston gun show today, vendor wanted more than $570 for it, can't remember the exact price.  He was the only table to have one, and I guess he knew that.  Oh well, got a new SP101, it was a good day.  Hopefully the price for R51s will un-crazy soon.
View Quote

Is it bigger or smaller than an LC9?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

fisherman
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Couldn't tell you.  I'm not familiar with the LC9.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#30]
That $570 is BS.
MSRP is supposed to be sub $400. I've read that they will be making it in .40 S&W. If they do I'll buy two.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked one up this morning at Cabelas for $379  and took it to the range.  Ran 50 rounds through her with only one failure to feed, however that malfunction was due to me not seating the magazine correctly so no issues with the gun itself.  The trigger is a little gritty feeling but once I shot it some I noticed it less.  I usually shoot .40S&W, this was the first time in a very long time shooting 9mm.  The R51 is a great gun I found it to be comfortable and points easily.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Seen them at Gander Mountain here in the MN.  think they are about 399 or so.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw a Gander Mountain flyer earlier this week.  They are advertising them for $400, after a $30 rebate.

I hate those kind of rebates, so I will probably look elsewhere.

At least it looks like they are becoming available in decent quantity.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Saw one at Academy last week. I think it was marked $439 but I was more interested in looking at the size and comparing it to a G19 nearby. It was bigger than I had thought it would be. I would rather have a Commander size 1911 9mm even with the higher price.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I stopped at the Gander Mountain in Kingston, NY today, they had one in the display case. I have wanted to get my hands on one since I first saw the video on the Remington website. Well as it so happens when the salesman took it out of the case and attempted to open the slide it wouldn't open, no matter what he attempted he could not rack the slide open. Tried dropping the magazine, tried reinserting the magazine, tried pulling, tried pushing, nothing worked. It was taken to the Gander gunsmith and he was unable to resolve it either.
The salesman told me that they had the same issue with the gun the day before but not as bad, guess I'll take that off my wish list till Remington works out the kinks in a few years.
So now I'm looking at the Smith & Wesson Shield instead.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I get it now.  The R51 was Remington's elaborate April Fools Day joke!  It's really funny now that I know, and almost all of the disappointment has abated.  Almost.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I saw one today at the LGS.  They wanted $479 for it.  

It is larger than I expected.  Longer and taller than an LC9 by a decent amount.  Smaller than a 1911.  Being a single stack, it was flat,  The trigger was decent on the one I looked at.  I didn't like the height (top to bottom) of the trigger.  It seemed a tad short in height.  Trigger reach was fine and overall it fit my hand well.  The mag release button was kinda hard to activate without shifting my grip.  It was placed well, but was very flush with the grip, so it was kinda hard to hit. The rotary lockwork was interesting.  It didn't seem to add any width to the slide or anything.  It had an odd feeling working the slide, because it's not the conventional Browning or even Walther/Beretta.  It wasn't bad, just very different feeling.  The gun seemed well made.  

I'm not sure if I'll buy one.  I'm certainly not at $479.  Sub $400, I'd have to think about it.  I think I may hold out for the threaded barrel one and get one for a suppressor host.  I think it would be pretty cool for that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Too many failures are out from various owners of the R51, recent ones as well. I'd steer clear of this pistol until Remington redesigns the thing or somehow fixes what a complete mess it is. As a note, I was excited about the R51 and planned on buying one until I fondled one in the store and saw the continuing failures to feed, eject, locking the slide closed plus other issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Too many failures are out from various owners of the R51, recent ones as well. I'd steer clear of this pistol until Remington redesigns the thing or somehow fixes what a complete mess it is. As a note, I was excited about the R51 and planned on buying one until I fondled one in the store and saw the continuing failures to feed, eject, locking the slide closed plus other issues.
View Quote

I agree.  This thing has turned out to be a disaster.  I really wanted one, too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I saw one today at the LGS.  They wanted $479 for it.  

It is larger than I expected.  Longer and taller than an LC9 by a decent amount.  Smaller than a 1911.  Being a single stack, it was flat,  The trigger was decent on the one I looked at.  I didn't like the height (top to bottom) of the trigger.  It seemed a tad short in height.  Trigger reach was fine and overall it fit my hand well.  The mag release button was kinda hard to activate without shifting my grip.  It was placed well, but was very flush with the grip, so it was kinda hard to hit. The rotary lockwork was interesting.  It didn't seem to add any width to the slide or anything.  It had an odd feeling working the slide, because it's not the conventional Browning or even Walther/Beretta.  It wasn't bad, just very different feeling.  The gun seemed well made.  

I'm not sure if I'll buy one.  I'm certainly not at $479.  Sub $400, I'd have to think about it.  I think I may hold out for the threaded barrel one and get one for a suppressor host.  I think it would be pretty cool for that.
View Quote

Bigger than the LC9 means no chance of pocket carry. LC9 is about the max for that. I've been holding off on getting a Galloway trigger setup for my LC9 but that project goes back on the front burner based on these comments.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
The R51 is no longer on the rRmington website. I wonder if they plan on bringing it back, assuming they can fix it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

if this is true, then I would be looking for one. I love the concept, and with the Octane 45 I have coming, I think it would be a fantastic suppressor host.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder what the expectations are for shipping.

I know it is costly for me to ship through my FFL and I had issues trying to send with the stupids at USP and the USPS.

I suppose I need to have a go at FedEX.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#45]
It might be a good idea to find one of the original ones on GB (or elsewhere) and then send it back for the free mags and Pelican case.

Figure even if you pay retail now, and they retail at the same price when re-released, you're up two mags and a case.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know it is costly for me to ship through my FFL and I had issues trying to send with the stupids at USP and the USPS.

View Quote

UPS and FedEx will both bend you over to ship a pistol. They force you to ship it overnight to keep it out of their employees hands. I still think that if they get to decide on overnight we should only have to pay ground prices. The Post Office says that only FFL holders can ship a pistol through them, although long guns are fine. Remington needs to issue call tags for the returns. To not do so would be wrong, wrong, wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
UPS and FedEx will both bend you over to ship a pistol. They force you to ship it overnight to keep it out of their employees hands. I still think that if they get to decide on overnight we should only have to pay ground prices. The Post Office says that only FFL holders can ship a pistol through them, although long guns are fine. Remington needs to issue call tags for the returns. To not do so would be wrong, wrong, wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On that we can definitely agree.

I might stop in the LGS that I bought it from this weekend and see what they might be willing to do.

They sold it to me afterall.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything new on this?  I have not seen anything new from Remington?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top