Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2013 8:01:48 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the Zastava C999? I saw one shipped from classic Firearms for $319.00 shipped. I am looking for a gun as a gift to father-in-law. Not looking to spend a ton of money, because it will get shot once then sit in a night table drawer. I like that it has a decocker and is all steel. It also has an exposed hammer, and a traditional SA/ DA action. I was considering a CZ 75 clone ( Tri Star) but the slide is small and he is 70. There is not much slide to grip on to if your hand strength gets weak.

My main concern is are they reliable and well built.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Was wondering the same a few minutes ago. Looking at one for Christmas.

EAA Zastava - AR15.COM

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with the Zastava C999? I saw one shipped from classic Firearms for $319.00 shipped. I am looking for a gun as a gift to father-in-law. Not looking to spend a ton of money, because it will get shot once then sit in a night table drawer. I like that it has a decocker and is all steel. It also has an exposed hammer, and a traditional SA/ DA action. I was considering a CZ 75 clone ( Tri Star) but the slide is small and he is 70. There is not much slide to grip on to if your hand strength gets weak.

View Quote

I have one, I got off budsgunshop though. Its a fantastic pistol in my opinion, basically a copy of the P226 but 400 dollars cheaper. I have never had an issue with mine and probably one of the best deals out there besides the Arcus.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one, I got off budsgunshop though. Its a fantastic pistol in my opinion, basically a copy of the P226 but 400 dollars cheaper. I have never had an issue with mine and probably one of the best deals out there besides the Arcus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it take the same mags or something different. As well have you tried it in 226 holsters?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Zastava mags are different - essentially a modified Beretta 92 mag.  They are available new, although not in the quantity of other types of mags.  You can fab your own by modifying a Beretta 92 mag and cutting a slot/hole in the front of the mag.  I've done it with a drill/file and got it to work on older CZ-99.  FYI, the mags will still work in the Beretta too.

Quoted:

Does it take the same mags or something different. As well have you tried it in 226 holsters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Zastava mags are different - essentially a modified Beretta 92 mag.  They are available new, although not in the quantity of other types of mags.  You can fab your own by modifying a Beretta 92 mag and cutting a slot/hole in the front of the mag.  I've done it with a drill/file and got it to work on older CZ-99.  FYI, the mags will still work in the Beretta too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info on the mags. And holster have your tried them in sig holsters?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't tried many holsters other than the Blackhawk Serpa,and a Galco crossdraw....but it fits the one for the SIG 226.
I have a EAA EZ,discussed in the linked thread above,and it fits the Serpa but not the Galco because of the 1913 rail on the EZ9.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats exactly right.I modified all my Beretta 92 mags with minimal effort.SIG 226 mags will work as well but tyhe follower needs to be modified to lower the slide stop shelf or the CZ999 will lock open before the mag is empty.But they will work as well,just takes more trial and error to get the SIG mages 100% in the CZ999.
The Beretta 92FS/M9 mags are the way to go regardless,and the price is better than the SIG mags anyway.I really like the Mec-Gar Optimum mags.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have stated,the CZ999 and the EZ9 are fantastic pistols that have just not caught on verywell due to importers failing to advertise them properly.Ive been more than pleased with my Zastava pistols(EZ9 and CZ999).One of the few true ambi setup pistols available....decocker,slide release and mag release.Heck of deal for the money and thats for sure.My next CZ999 is the compact model.
Also,Century Arms advised me this week in a phone call that they will have replacement parts the first of the year,coming on the next shipment, and they are working on setting that section up right now..Also mentioned different barrels and grips whatever that means.I'd like a nice set of the Yugo elm grips though.
I was pretty pleased to see Century pick up the Zastava line rather than another small company like(EAA and Kvar) it has been in the past.Century went with nearly the entire civilian line too,and dropped a huge amount of money on the deal too..So I expect to see them do some marketing,hopefully.
I'd really like to see one of the Zastava PAP M92 pistols as well,but thats a different thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Well built pistols with a chromed barrel. Mags are most similar to the Springfields  XD line,almost a direct copy. The mag catch is a bit higher on the XD mag ,but like previously mentioned they can be modified by some minor filing and drilling. Beretta 92 mags work also with the same mods.    
Base plate on the XD is different and will not work with the CZ,I forgoy to mention that.,you will need a flat floorplate .

This pistol is not at all a copy of a SIG, it does appear to be one,but it is not !
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just in case anyone might be misled by this, the Zastava CZ999 is not all steel but has an aluminum frame like most handguns of it's type.

Having said that, it is a very nice gun...

Forrest

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
By the way, I should probably also mention that the Zastava CZ999 is a large handgun.  I have big hands, and it feels big even in my hand.

For me, it's about perfect.  For someone with smaller hands, well, maybe not so much.

Again, the best advice is to fondle guns before buying...

Forrest

Edited to spell 'hands' correctly...
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
By the way, I put 50rds through a CZ999 today after a 5rd 'test' yesterday (115gr JHP) with nary a stutter...

Forrest
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have fired the pistol mentioned (Zastava Made C99 in both 9mm & 40 SW) back on a visit to Serbia (Then the 40 SW was a new caliber version for Zastava).
They were well made, reliable, and followed the SIG 226 pattern design...Overall, they are great/modern pistols for the money, you will likely enjoy the pistol...

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I see they have gone up a bit in price, I bought mine NIB for $259.
Literally mine came in a cardboard box, no case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see they have gone up a bit in price, I bought mine NIB for $259.
Literally mine came in a cardboard box, no case.
View Quote

Interestingly enough, the two that I just recently picked up were in different boxes.

The one that I received directly from Century Arms (the importer) was more expensive and came in the cardboard box.

The one that I received from Centerfire Systems was cheaper (even though they get them from Century too) and came in what I assume is the more current plastic box.

The serial number of the Centerfire gun was about 600 higher than the Century one.

Forrest

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought one today from Classic Firearms, 319.00 shipped, can't beat the price. Every review I have read was positive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
How many mags are shipping with the pistols now?
Mine only came with 1 , but I am not complaining.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently picked up an EZ9 used with 5 mags for $250.  Seems well built and I havent had any issues with the few boxes Ive put through it.

Neat gun, especially for what I paid for it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I recently picked up an EZ9 used with 5 mags for $250.  Seems well built and I havent had any issues with the few boxes Ive put through it.

View Quote

That's truck gun price right there

where did you pull of that deal?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My first two had to be returned to Century.  

#3 appears to work, but did need some conditioning.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was at a local gun store..... Ive been on a pistol kick lately, I need to stay out of there......

ETA-They also have (had) a full size .40 for the same price with 5 mags..... I had to resist and not get another caliber....  maybe Ill go see if they still have it today....
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#22]
We had CZ99 and CZ999's in Iraq when the Serbs became the only arms dealers we could get weapons from.  The ones they sold us were crap.  Unreliable and we could not get any holsters for them.  At least the CZ999 had a decent grip to it, the CZ99 widened at the top so when you got a good hold on the pistol it felt like it was going to squirt out the top of your hand.  I was glad to see the last of them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I went back and they still had the 40.  I was forced to buy it even though I swore off 40.  It ran fine with the mix mash of 50+ rounds of range ammo pickups.... (ammo that "jammed" and shooters ejected onto the ground)

Golly, for $250 with 5 mags each, not too shabby....

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like a steal to me !
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I have had a BRNO marked CZ99 for close to 20 years. It has probably 5-6k through it and is the only gun I own that has never choked even once.

In the $300 range it is a buy on sight gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have had a BRNO marked CZ99 for close to 20 years. It has probably 5-6k through it and is the only gun I own that has never choked even once.

View Quote

I guess Im confused, is your BRNO made by CZ or in Serbia (Yugo).  I google BRNO CZ99 and the design is similar, did Serbia just copy the BRNO CZ99?

Im confused.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess Im confused, is your BRNO made by CZ or in Serbia (Yugo).  I google BRNO CZ99 and the design is similar, did Serbia just copy the BRNO CZ99?

Im confused.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im confused.....

BRNO is the importer mark.

The gun is marked made in Yugoslavia, and was imported slightly before the Bosnian/Serbian war or the dissolution of Yugoslavia as we knew it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The gun is marked made in Yugoslavia, and was imported slightly before the Bosnian/Serbian war or the dissolution of Yugoslavia as we knew it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im confused.....

bgenlvtex: Is your slide marked like this?

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#29]
It ironic how these firearms are suppose to be an inexpensive alternative, want to a shop a couple days ago. Its going for $500
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It ironic how these firearms are suppose to be an inexpensive alternative, want to a shop a couple days ago. Its going for $500
View Quote

I've seen $299.99 at Classic Firearms, Centerfire Systems and on gunbroker in the recent past.

I paid $188 for the one in the picture above. I had to go through it to get it working 100% - but that is another thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/g9r56gj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/585/r56g.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im confused.....

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/g9r56gj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/585/r56g.jpg</a>

Yes, correct.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
ordered my CZ999 yesterday from Bud's after Centerfire failed to tell me they were on back order until I called to check my order status.  I paid $325 shipped for the 4.25" barrel.  Classic has the 3.9" ones for $319 shipped in stock but the short barrel makes the gun appear unbalanced IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ordered my CZ999 yesterday from Bud's after Centerfire failed to tell me they were on back order until I called to check my order status.  I paid $325 shipped for the 4.25" barrel.  Classic has the 3.9" ones for $319 shipped in stock but the short barrel makes the gun appear unbalanced IMHO.
View Quote

To me, my shorter barreled one feels better balanced than the longer barreled one.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
here it is:
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago from Classic Firearms - $319 shipped.  Amazing impressed with it so far.  Not one malfunction with over 800 down the pipe thus far.  And the once unthinkable  is slowly beginning to happen - I find myself preferring to shoot it over my Glock 17.  This polymer frame shooter is now de-evolving (or being re-educated) on the smoothness and balance of shooting an all metal gun.  Love the polymer guns for carry, but prefer the metal guns for shooting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago from Classic Firearms - $319 shipped.  Amazing impressed with it so far.  Not one malfunction with over 800 down the pipe thus far.  And the once unthinkable  is slowly beginning to happen - I find myself preferring to shoot it over my Glock 17.  This polymer frame shooter is now de-evolving (or being re-educated) on the smoothness and balance of shooting an all metal gun.  Love the polymer guns for carry, but prefer the metal guns for shooting.
View Quote

I agree.  G19 in my case.  Im not a DA/SA fan, but the pistol is great to shoot and I too havent had any issues with either of mine.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thats exactly right.I modified all my Beretta 92 mags with minimal effort.SIG 226 mags will work as well but tyhe follower needs to be modified to lower the slide stop shelf or the CZ999 will lock open before the mag is empty.But they will work as well,just takes more trial and error to get the SIG mages 100% in the CZ999.
The Beretta 92FS/M9 mags are the way to go regardless,and the price is better than the SIG mags anyway.I really like the Mec-Gar Optimum mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGREE.  Very easy mod to the front of the Beretta mag and you are GTG.  Plus you can eventually replace your Beretta mag spring with good Wolff springs when that time comes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked mine up last week, first impressions are pretty good. It was hard to argue with the price.

It will be next weekend I will get to take it out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I am not disappointed. 150 rounds fired. 1 failure to feed the last round in the 2nd mag fired. Within a few hundred rounds, this could become a favorite. It shoots very well and the single action trigger pull is very nice. I will buy another one if I can get the right price ($334 out the door on this one)
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Curious if anyone is having issues with their CZ999 flinging shells to the face.  I can't get it to replicate 100%, but it happens atleast twice a mag no matter how I hold the gun.  I'm pretty sure it's not due to limp wristing, ect. just because I shoot a lot of handguns with no problems and shoot with a very aggressive isosceles stance.

One of the shells actually got caught in between my glasses and my left eye lid / cheek and burned the shit out of me.  Is there any way to tune the extractor on these to stop it from flinging shells straight back to my face?

Otherwise, it shoots great and very accurate.  Eats almost everything I put in it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Nope, they just occasionally hit me on the top of the head.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I paid $188 for the one in the picture above. I had to go through it to get it working 100% - but that is another thread.
View Quote

I'm very interested in the history of that pistol, and what you had to do to get it 100%.  I bought a CZ99 back in the early 1990s when they were first imported by TD Arms.  I've put around 10,000 rounds through it, and it hasn't been that reliable.  I've never had any luck finding a factory recoil spring (or any other replacement parts) for it; I'm curious what you did when you went through yours and what you did for parts.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy another.  There are too many good pistols with a reliable parts supply to mess around with an oddball again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm very interested in the history of that pistol, and what you had to do to get it 100%.  I bought a CZ99 back in the early 1990s when they were first imported by TD Arms.  I've put around 10,000 rounds through it, and it hasn't been that reliable.  I've never had any luck finding a factory recoil spring (or any other replacement parts) for it; I'm curious what you did when you went through yours and what you did for parts.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/user/allanedavis/media/CrevnaZastavaCZ99leftside_zps47be8218.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/CrevnaZastavaCZ99leftside_zps47be8218.jpg</a>

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy another.  There are too many good pistols with a reliable parts supply to mess around with an oddball again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/user/allanedavis/media/CrevnaZastavaCZ99leftside_zps47be8218.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/CrevnaZastavaCZ99leftside_zps47be8218.jpg</a>

Sorry to hear about yours not being so reliable. Mine is marked TD Arms as well.

I joined the CZ99.org forum, which I believe is a Serbian forum, and through posts in their English language section I found where someone dismantled their CZ99 for refinishing. Those photos helped me understand the mechanisms involved and helped me keep from making mistakes.

Unfortunately that forum doesn’t seem accessible any longer.

I copied details of the cleanup/repairs I made in this thread:
CZ99

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you put 10,000 rounds through an unreliable gun?

I admire your tenacity if nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought one of these a few months back.

I did the mod to the Beretta 92F mags to get them to fit this CZ999.

I don't know if I screwed up the mag mods or not but this pistol feeds/ejects/ and fires fine WITH THE MAGS THAT CAME WITH IT.

The modified Beretta 92F mags that I modified feed the 9mm rounds a little low and they tend to jam and not go up the feed ramp into the barrel.

Now there is no loss as the modified mags still work fine with my Beretta 92F pistola.  

I took the upper off of the CZ999 and put a modified Beretta 92 F magazine into the lower with just one round in it and then compared that to an original CZ999 magazine with one round in it.  Sure enough, the original CZ 999 mags feed the rounds at a slightly higher angle - just enough higher that they are completely reliable.

A determined person could probably get the Beretta 92F mags to work 100 percent by modifying the follower slightly or playing with the mag catch mod.

The thing that would probably wear out first with the CZ999 mags would probably be that the mag spring would get weak from use and I am sure a replacement spring from Wolff Gunsprings for the Beretta 92F magazine would fit fine in the body of the original CZ999 magazine.

Oh, I also put a set of tritium night sights on my CZ999 that were made for the SIG P-226.   They fit fine.  These are a big improvement if you want to shoot this pistol in low light conditions.  

The pistol grouped well when I shot Winchester White Box 147-grain ammo today at 15 yards.  

I would say this is a lot of pistol for the price.  

If you like real SIGS, you will probably like this clone too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oh, I also put a set of tritium night sights on my CZ999 that were made for the SIG P-226.   They fit fine.  These are a big improvement if you want to shoot this pistol in low light conditions.  
View Quote

Whose night sights did you use?

Forrest

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Forrest

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

Forrest:  I actually used the front tritium sight that I got from Midway called SIG Sauer sight #8 front SIGLIGHT product number 519837 for $46.49.

I always center my tritium front sights on handguns and put a drop of loctite on them. I then drift my rear sights right or left for any "final"  sight                  adjustments.  This works well for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top