BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
RIA CS (officers model clone)
Unqualified yes.
Its in the console of my truck right now, unable to carry at the office due to company policy.
75% of the rest of my awake time it's on my right hip. I'm sometimes forced into a small carry weapon.
I had the old man stiffen up the trigger a slight bit and I'm good now.
The trigger, as it came, was a little light for me to be comfortable with as a carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The suped up ones with the dual safeties will come loose and flop independent of the other after the first range session.  The 8 round mags full with 1 in the chamber is beggin for a feed problem, even with Fmjs.  Keep to 8 in the gun, and no problems feeding when broke in.   Hollow points are iffy no matter what condition the gun is in.  This was on two of their top of the line guns.

I feel that their standard GI styled guns are more reliable, however since I've replaced the dual safeties for singles they seem to work great.
View Quote

I agree with sticking to 8 total.  I run the CMC Shooting Star mags in my Cimarron 1911 and have issues if I try to use a topped off mag with one already in the chamber.  While mine isn't a RIA extactly, it is basically the same thing.  Mine was made by them for Cimarron, but designed to look like the early version to be used in Wild Bunch matches.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Would you guys trust it to be your edc?
View Quote

Until I bought my XDS .45acp, it was my EDC.  While I've been waiting for the XDS to return from the recall repair, mine has went back to being my EDC.  The only complaint I've had with mine while carrying in a CTAC holster is the grip safety.  Since the "tail" on the safety is rounded like on some of the fancier guns, mine digs into my side a bit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know. I'm getting my cpl soon. And want a gun that I won't have to baby and not worry as much about Finnish wear and getting banged up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
RIA tactical is a terrific deal for a nice 1911. I used one as an EDC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I just shot my GI Rock Island for the first time.  The grip safety is made of really soft steel because it has a hammer sized gouge in it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the sister gun to RIA, a Citadel 3.5" 45 and love it.  I bought it to trade but after shooting everything through it I decide to put some Dawson Precision Tritium sights and put it in my carry gun rotation.  I found the gun to be more accurate then my SA 5" GI and easier to carry.  If feel very comfortable when I am walking down the street with that gun on my side.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got my "souped up" one in on Thursday, paid $349 from buds. Took it to the range Friday(after cleaning the goop off of it). Guess I got lucky 450 rounds of misc. loads, both safety's still work together, run 8+1 EVERY TIME. Used act 8 round, Wilson 7 & 8 rounders and some no name seven rounders. Zero malfunctions of any kind. Just lucky I guess, maybe I should buy a lotto ticket.
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/AF741A93-1F20-47E8-BF7F-0E3E272C9170.jpg
And stranger out of the box
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/54fc0504431c2aebd402bc788d7b664c.jpg
View Quote

What grips are those?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
What have you guys added/changed to what models to improve them? Grips ,sights , mags do you use?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What grips are those?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my "souped up" one in on Thursday, paid $349 from buds. Took it to the range Friday(after cleaning the goop off of it). Guess I got lucky 450 rounds of misc. loads, both safety's still work together, run 8+1 EVERY TIME. Used act 8 round, Wilson 7 & 8 rounders and some no name seven rounders. Zero malfunctions of any kind. Just lucky I guess, maybe I should buy a lotto ticket.
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/AF741A93-1F20-47E8-BF7F-0E3E272C9170.jpg
And stranger out of the box
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/scpd755/54fc0504431c2aebd402bc788d7b664c.jpg

What grips are those?

VZ operator IIs that came off of a RIA tac. I really like em, better than my Gunner Grips.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
runs like a champ. grips get a lot of negative feedback but I like em.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked it up yesterday

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a GI 45 1911A1, and a 9mm Tactical full-size, both have been awesome.  I had one problem with the 9mm, in which the extended ambidextrous safety would not fully disengage, but it turned out to be a problem with the safety hitting the top of the grip, due to the width of the safety lever.  I filed down the top of the grip for clearance, and now no problems.

I also plan on changing out the full guide rod for a standard set up when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine will shoot a half dollar sized group at 50 feet with my handloads. Shot it a week after I got it in a bullseye match and did really well with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Just bought a new RIA 1911 Tactical today. Can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are some pics of my new RIA 1911A1 Tactical. The huge roll mark is gone. Everything is tight, but I found a small finish blem on the right side, about 1/4" in under the front sight. No big deal.  The trigger is pretty awesome. Can't wait to shoot it. The grip panels are rubber now, not the prior wood panels.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had this one a while now.  I got it duracoated a few months ago.  I trimmed up the safety levers some and filed off the sharp edges before they sprayed it.   I've got over 2000 round through it now and love it.  Metalform mags work like a champ for me.  David

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is my RIA MS.

I had to change the sights, went with MGW sights because they are big enough for my old tired eyes.  The finish is Gun-Kote.  Changed the hammer and put a genuine Colt plastic mainspring housing on it.  The stocks came from E-Bay, were stained and re-finished.  It usually has a Wilson mag in it, but Colt mags work well also.  You can't see it, but there is an EGW small radius firing pin stop in it.

Not going to win any target matches, but it is plenty accurate for its purpose.  Reliable too, works well with most JHPs and also with 200 grain SWCs.

My opinion on RIA is that they offer the most bang for the bucks of any 1911 clone out there.  Springers may indeed be better, but do cost more.  Yes, time and $$$ spent on an RIA is going down the drain if you look at re-sale value.  The same is true of every other brand also.  I was practicing on this one, and developed the confidence to work on pricier pistols.  If $$$ is an important consideration, I highly recommend RIA.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The suped up ones with the dual safeties will come loose and flop independent of the other after the first range session.  The 8 round mags full with 1 in the chamber is beggin for a feed problem, even with Fmjs.  Keep to 8 in the gun, and no problems feeding when broke in.   Hollow points are iffy no matter what condition the gun is in.  This was on two of their top of the line guns.

I feel that their standard GI styled guns are more reliable, however since I've replaced the dual safeties for singles they seem to work great.
View Quote

Never had a problem with the ambi- safety on my two tacticals.
With  CMC mags they run flawlessly with 8+1.
Both of mine feed HP's just fine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Good thread

1911's can be high art, or they can be  simple, rugged, working guns.   Both are great and demand equal admiration.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
All the RIA's I have shot have been GTG
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
  I'd carry a norinco before i'd carry a RIA or a taurus.      
View Quote

Norinco's are very good .45s  In fact, I'd much rather
have a Norinco 1911 than a Springfield.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top