Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:11:27 PM EDT
Have quite a few rounds now through my new Glock 43 and while it's a very nice gun, to me the PM9 is still king of the hill.
If Glock would have matched the Kahr in size it would be closer but at least in my world, for my smallest 9mm carry gun, size matters!
I'll hold onto the 43 for now but I'm realizing it's an "in-between" sized gun and hard to justify picking it out of the lineup for carry.

Just my thoughts. Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Carried a pm9 in my pocket for about a year. Really great little gun
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have quite a few rounds now through my new Glock 43 and while it's a very nice gun, to me the PM9 is still king of the hill.
If Glock would have matched the Kahr in size it would be closer but at least in my world, for my smallest 9mm carry gun, size matters!
I'll hold onto the 43 for now but I'm realizing it's an "in-between" sized gun and hard to justify picking it out of the lineup for carry.

Just my thoughts. Carry on.
View Quote

As a Glock guy, I would  agree. The C/PM 9 is a great size.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was on a waiting list for a G43. Then I went to the NRA convention and actually handled one. I was extremely disappointed in the size and handling characteristics. . I decided to stick with my PM9 for my main carry gun. Best I have found.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually put my PM9 in the safe when I got my G43 as the only real dimensional difference between them is the slide length and I don't care as much about the Glock as the PM9.  Since I have large pockets the extra length does't really matter to me.

Kahr needs to fix their magazines and stop rounds from coming out when the mag is carried in a pouch or pocket but I do really like the PM9.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually sold my CM9 once I got my G43. For me, the GLOCK platform outweighs the Kahr. Still have my CW380 but I need to find a decent holster for it for when I want tiny.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually put my PM9 in the safe when I got my G43 as the only real dimensional
l difference between them is the slide length and I don't care as much about the Glock as the PM9.  Since I have large pockets the extra length does't really matter to me.

Kahr needs to fix their magazines and stop rounds from coming out when the mag is carried in a pouch or pocket but I do really like the PM9.
View Quote

This is pretty much me.  I am selling my PM9
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot them both again today. I've had the PM9 for maybe 10yrs or so. I've never carried loose mags in the pocket but have never had any problems with the mags either.
My PM9 is tack driver! The Glock is sufficient for SD but nothing like the accuracy of the PM9. I am used to shooting Glocks and their triggers and have owned them much longer than the Kahr.
Today, once again, the PM9 has proven itself superior TO ME. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I shot them both again today. I've had the PM9 for maybe 10yrs or so. I've never carried loose mags in the pocket but have never had any problems with the mags either.
My PM9 is tack driver! The Glock is sufficient for SD but nothing like the accuracy of the PM9. I am used to shooting Glocks and their triggers and have owned them much longer than the Kahr.
Today, once again, the PM9 has proven itself superior TO ME. YMMV.
View Quote

Loose in pocket wasn't an issue for me (my BIL had it happen though).  My issue was when I had magazines in a pouch on my belt facing down with rounds forward.  It had been a couple of months since I last took them out and when I did there were 5 rounds out of 13 (7rd and 6rd mag) floating in the bottom of the pouch which wasn't very confidence inspiring.

My PM9 is amazingly accurate (as is my wife's) and I probably even shoot it a bit better than my G43, however, I also managed to lightly rust the mag release on my PM9 (pocket carry) so the plastic mag release of the G43 is better for me as well.

I would go back to the PM9 without reservation but just need to remember to check it more frequently (both spare mags and for rust).
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The size difference between the two is moot:

It fits in the same holster, and the same pocket as the CM9/PM9 does.
The higher beavertail allows for a higher purchase on the Glock though (which also increases the grip area), and IMO the felt recoil is less than the Kahr.

I have loved and carried my CM9 for years. I still love to shoot it, but I haven't carried it since I brought home the G43.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a 43, only about 300 rounds fired but so far so good. I have owned a PM9 for eight years, my number one BUG. It's been a great gun, but the 43 May take its place, only time will tell. Not getting rid of the Kahr, too good of a gun. Even with the little things I'm not real found of, nothing has been able to replace it yet. Perfect combination of conceal ability and function.
For size comparison 43, PM9 and the massive Shield.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/IMAG1659.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/IMAG1659.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/IMAG1661.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/IMAG1661.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/de5460aa-fab0-4ea6-81a9-ea95a8bcac6f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/de5460aa-fab0-4ea6-81a9-ea95a8bcac6f.jpg</a>

The higher beavertail allows for a higher purchase on the Glock though (which also increases the grip area), and IMO the felt recoil is less than the Kahr.

I have loved and carried my CM9 for years. I still love to shoot it, but I haven't carried it since I brought home the G43.
View Quote

You can call it "moot" if you want. I call it "clear to see" based on your photos and my own observations owning both!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no denying the Kahr is smaller and easier to conceal as a deep cover or BUG, length of the slide has little to do with it. It's the size of the grip and frame that are key and were the Shield fails miserably at. I believe the 43 can and will work, but not as seamlessly as the Kahr, I like the function and Trigger of the Glock better. Not so much the shooting but the releasing of the slide and of course the reset, I am surprisingly accurate with my Kahr, if the trade off in size and the function of the Glock are deemed worth it, I will make the switch. If not PM9 retains its role and I still keep the 43, win, win for me anyway.

By the way I have only one 6 round mag and 3 seven round mags for the Kahr, eight years old 1800 rounds fired(it's a back up gun, qualify with it every three months, not a range or training gun)I have never had a problem with any of my mags. This includes tossing a seven rounder in my pocket for the whole day, never have had a round pop out of the mag.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can call it "moot" if you want. I call it "clear to see" based on your photos and my own observations owning both!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/IMAG1659.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/IMAG1659.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/IMAG1661.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/IMAG1661.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s417.photobucket.com/user/mattsdrag95/media/de5460aa-fab0-4ea6-81a9-ea95a8bcac6f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/mattsdrag95/de5460aa-fab0-4ea6-81a9-ea95a8bcac6f.jpg</a>

This,  I have a P9 and have a hard time justifying a G43.  And Im a Glock guy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're correct, the ~1/2" of extra slide on the 43 is clear to see. The extra length is moot because every other practical overall dimension is identical between the two, and that extra ~1/2" makes absolutely no difference when it comes to conceal-ability. It fits into the exact same IWB and pocket holster, and drops into the same pocket the CM9/PM9 does. In fact, if we're going to nit pit every tiny dimensional difference I'd point out that the higher beavertail on the 43 allows for a higher purchase, putting your hand closer to the bore axis so it doesn't feel as snappy as the CM9.

As I said before, I have owned and carried the CM9 for many years and believed it was the best option out there for small carry 9's. I was even skeptical of the 43 because on paper it showed to be larger than the Cm9. In reality those differences didn't effect it's use (in my situation), and the better beavertail design actually made the 43 MORE desirable. YRMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
tgad2,
I've carried my 10 year old PM9 most everyday, hough it is in a rotation between a S/A XDs (7+1) 9mm & a S&W 442 5-shot .38. I have been looking and fondling the G43 as a possible addition to that rotation. Unable to fire a G43 yet, I've been wondering if its recoil is about the same, greater or less than our PM9's? I bought 6 extra mag's from Brownells a couple years ago for practicing reloads.

I do not care for extended mag floor plates on any hideout gun which gives an edge to the Kahr I suppose. I like those thin SS Kahr F/P's. Glocks seem to have thick floorplates. I always carry the PM9 in an IWB because it's too heavy (for me) to drop it in a pocket. I use a P380 in a Thad Rybka holster for that . I own and carry a G36, G30s and a G27 when I feel the need for a larger more powerful carry gun.

Back to the PM9. The only flaw I found with it was the slide stop lever. It would draw blood from my thumb on extended range sessions (250+ rounds of hmy hand loads). I ended up pulling the slide stop and rounding those sharp corners on the bench grinder then fine sandpaper. Problem solved. I like the long rolling DAO trigger on the PM9 but I'll admit I actually think I would prefer a nice 4.5 pound Glock trigger, plus it's tough to beat that loud yet short click upon reset. After reading all the good stories about the G43 you guys have got me wanting yet another singlestack nine! Thanks for helping me spend $$ that I don't have.
lead-poison
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
tgad2,
I've carried my 10 year old PM9 most everyday, hough it is in a rotation between a S/A XDs (7+1) 9mm & a S&W 442 5-shot .38. I have been looking and fondling the G43 as a possible addition to that rotation. Unable to fire a G43 yet, I've been wondering if its recoil is about the same, greater or less than our PM9's? I bought 6 extra mag's from Brownells a couple years ago for practicing reloads.

I do not care for extended mag floor plates on any hideout gun which gives an edge to the Kahr I suppose. I like those thin SS Kahr F/P's. Glocks seem to have thick floorplates. I always carry the PM9 in an IWB because it's too heavy (for me) to drop it in a pocket. I use a P380 in a Thad Rybka holster for that . I own and carry a G36, G30s and a G27 when I feel the need for a larger more powerful carry gun.

Back to the PM9. The only flaw I found with it was the slide stop lever. It would draw blood from my thumb on extended range sessions (250+ rounds of hmy hand loads). I ended up pulling the slide stop and rounding those sharp corners on the bench grinder then fine sandpaper. Problem solved. I like the long rolling DAO trigger on the PM9 but I'll admit I actually think I would prefer a nice 4.5 pound Glock trigger, plus it's tough to beat that loud yet short click upon reset. After reading all the good stories about the G43 you guys have got me wanting yet another singlestack nine! Thanks for helping me spend $$ that I don't have.
lead-poison
View Quote

I didn't notice much of a difference in recoil; neither bothered me enough to really notice.
I prefer the flat SS floor plates on the PM9 too.
I carry my PM9 high on the hip OWB in either a pancake type or paddle type holster and carry a G19 or HKVP9 for a full-size.
The earlier Kahrs all had the sharp. squared-off slide releases but the newer ones are all smoothed now.
My common sense too tells me I should shoot better with the Glock trigger but I'm still WAY more consistently accurate with the PM9.
Try the G43 out. Maybe you'll like it better - maybe not. Just be sure to get one for a good price so you can get your money back if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]
It's still the king for me too and I love glocks.
I've had 2 pm9's and it's the gun I carry the most. It's very accurate and reliable.
I also carry my kahr p380, and Glock 26 a lot. My 19 hardly ever.
If the Glock 43 came out 5-10 years earlier I probably would have got one.
I've shot a couple of them but oddly enough I prefer the 26 to the 43.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I'm such a Glock guy that I didn't even consider a single stack 9mm until the 43.  I shot my buddies 43 and loved it.  I had made my decision and was off to purchase the new Glaock 43.  Well....just before I made my purchase I had the opportunity to shoot a Kahr PM9.  Guess what gun I bought....Kahr WINS HANDS DOWN!  The newer versions (I think 2013 and up) have sweet triggers and the polygonal rifling is hard to beat.  I can't speak for everyone but I shoot the Kahr much more accurately than a Glock 43.  There are much more size differences than just the length of the slide.  One BIG difference is the size and shape of the trigger guard.  Another major difference is that the PM9 has all of it edges much more rounded off which makes it print less.

I LOVE GLOCKS!  Over the last 4-5 years my primary carry guns have been a Glock 23, 27 and an H&K P7M13(for when I'm feeling fancy LOL).  However, if a person has the chance to shoot these guns side by side I don't see how you can deny the Kahr PM9 is a better package all around.

Kahr PM9 = WINNER!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I love the G43. I got rid of my cw9 when the Shield came out and I bought my wife a G43 when it came out. The shorter slide has me thinking the pm/cm may be just the ticket for pocket carry in my overalls with the slightly shorter barrel. I am currently carrying an LCP, I know the PM9 will feel about twice the size but it may be worth trying. I won't be giving up capacity or accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been carrying a PM9 for almost 10 years now, been a great gun and a hell of a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree.  The PM9 is a great carry gun, especially  in the summer when body real estate is at a premium and cover is scarce.  I also own a P9 and 2, P45s and carry them as well, usually in cooler weather.  They're slim profile beats Glock to pieces in ease of concealment.  All my Kahrs are black slides - never cared for two-tone pistols.  

Improvements?  I wish they'd make the grips a little less aggressive and the magazines a little easier (on the fingers/thumb) to load.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Im 100% satisfied with my kahr, I also have no issues with magazines and losing rounds. The g43 does nothing for me at all, sure it's close to the same size but that big ass square trigger guard on a pocket gun is pretty stupid. I'm still waiting on the gen 2 kahrs with the shorter trigger that should make the kahr an even better pistol
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a huge glock fan, but I don't be replacing my Kahr for times I need a little gun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Nevermind....I didn't realize that this is really old.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Five years and 600 rounds....NOTHING sold now can replace my PM9, it goes everywhere I go in my right front pocket with MIKA pocket holster.  The 43 Glock is just too large to pocket carry for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Five years and 600 rounds....NOTHING sold now can replace my PM9, it goes everywhere I go in my right front pocket with MIKA pocket holster.  The 43 Glock is just too large to pocket carry for me.
View Quote

I also have a Mr Mika pocket holster for my PM9 - been about 9 years here.  I do love Glocks, but I don't see anything replacing the PM9 for the near future.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
my PM9 is still my GTG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The size difference between the two is moot:.
View Quote

I am not sure it is moot, when it comes to pocket carry, every little bit counts
                     Weight    OAL    Width   Hi
Glock 43       17.90    6.26     1.02    4.25
Kahr PM9     15.90    5.42      0.90   4.00
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am not sure it is moot, when it comes to pocket carry, every little bit counts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The size difference between the two is moot:.

Exactly, it's about the same difference between the G26 and the G43 so might as well carry a 26 since the size difference is moot. The 43 is a middle child.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
PM9 is no doubt smaller that the 43.
I'll carry a PM9 in an ankle holster but not a 43.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Sold the CM9 when the "Black Diamond" showed up. It shoots to POA, unlike the CM9 which shot where it wanted to, not where I wanted it too
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah the Khar PM9 was the best pocket 9 for a long time, largest 9mm I can pocket carry. Of course I replaced mine with a Rohrbaugh R9, best pocket 9 ever!! Mine has been 100% reliable, but you do have to replace the recoil spring every 100 rounds, so carry it often, shoot it little. The Shield 9mm is my favorite single stack 9mm, but it's too large for pocket carry, so i carry it IWB. I'm also a big fan of the S&W 642 for pocket or ankle or appendix IWB. I want to get the Shield 45 next since it's only a tad larger. So many good carry options out there these days
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
PM9 is no doubt smaller that the 43.
I'll carry a PM9 in an ankle holster but not a 43.

Dave N
View Quote

PM9 fits great in my boot
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Have liked my PM9 for a long time.  Is reliable when I shoot it  now, but I did have problems during the break in period (to be expected I guess but never had those with a glock)

Love the smooth trigger.

My only issue that gives me hesitation is that unless you pull the slide ALL the way back when chambering a round, and I mean ALL the way back, there will be a failure to load and the cartridge will jam and not feed.  I'm guessing this is due to the very short distance that the spring has to travel here in comparison to a larger pistol.  

When firing, or function checking rapidly, there doesn't seem to be an issue.  If it was a problem when actually shooting I wouldn't carry it.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have liked my PM9 for a long time.  Is reliable when I shoot it  now, but I did have problems during the break in period (to be expected I guess but never had those with a glock)

Love the smooth trigger.

My only issue that gives me hesitation is that unless you pull the slide ALL the way back when chambering a round, and I mean ALL the way back, there will be a failure to load and the cartridge will jam and not feed.  I'm guessing this is due to the very short distance that the spring has to travel here in comparison to a larger pistol.  

When firing, or function checking rapidly, there doesn't seem to be an issue.  If it was a problem when actually shooting I wouldn't carry it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Love the smooth trigger.

KAHR wants you to use the slide release lever instead of racking the slide.  

Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the magazine, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.
>>Back to top

http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q10
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Who reads the manuel

I slingshot all my Kahrs without issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Who reads the manuel

I slingshot all my Kahrs without issue.
View Quote

I do as well, but my first Kahr was a PM40, one of the first production that had lots of issues.  Once we got the hardware figured out it was a mater of using perfect form, the PM40 isn't much fun.

PM9 I don't think twice about how I load a round in the chamber, although I do don't unload the gun very often either
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the smooth trigger.

Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the magazine, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.
>>Back to top

Yep, that is what I figured out right after I bought it but thought it was odd.  Didn't realize Kahr had that in the manual.  Should have read I guess.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep, that is what I figured out right after I bought it but thought it was odd.  Didn't realize Kahr had that in the manual.  Should have read I guess.  Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the smooth trigger.

>>Back to top

I think the slide release is the only thing unusual, but its a short read anyway

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
local shop has an mk9 that needs some love, not sure I could spend the money for a pm9 when you can get the cm9 for half the price.

the cm9 slide release looks really cheap compared to the pm9, so there's that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think the slide release is the only thing unusual, but its a short read anyway

http://poteau-oil.com/photography/firearm2016/kahr1016-01.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the smooth trigger.

>>Back to top

http://poteau-oil.com/photography/firearm2016/kahr1016-01.jpg

I have 3 manuals in plastic, all three have a yellow sticker on the plastic instructing how to chamber. The PM9 also came with a separate sheet with the no slingshot rule.I may have started a fire with the other 2 sheets
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
The PM9 is the pocket pistol king!

If I ever have to use it, it will be to defend my life or take the life of another, so the price difference between it and the CM9 wasn't even a question for me.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Bought a pm9 as a coat pocket gun for wintertime. I found out it's basically a single shot when I have gloves on. The first shot is fine but the glove won't let the trigger go forward far enough to reset. The gloves aren't very thick either. Glad I practice with what I wear.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Me too. As in I shot the Glock and wasn't that impressed, plus they were really late to the party. They did however cause the mini 9mm prices to crash. You can find kahrs both pm p's for under 400 used around here. 
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top