Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 6/27/2015 8:39:05 PM EDT
I got a PM9 that is about 7 years old.   Put quite a few rounds through it when it was new but doesn't get shot much anymore.  It get's carried off and on now.  A good gun.  Never has given me any trouble or malfunctions.

Anyway several weeks ago I was shooting some older carry rounds through it because they were getting older.  No issues.   When I got it home I was cleaning it up good and when I loaded it I noticed the slide did not seem to want to fully chamber the round.  1st time I ever noticed it doing this.  Tried a few more rounds and both mags I have.  Same thing.   Letting the slide fly home it didn't seem as much and issue as slowly riding it home.

Kinda quit fiddling with it while at home until next range session.   Next range session I toyed with it more because it was safer at the range.

Anyway with hollow points if I let the slide slowly feed the top round out of the mag I can watch the round nose down into the feed ramp and watch it hang up there.  I was trying both PDX-1 and Hornady Critical Defense and Duty rounds do the same thing.   Ball 9 mm didn't seem to have much of an issue.  I can fire the HPs fine and doesn't seem to be an issue feeding.  It is VERY noticeable when racking the slide to load a round though.

I'm not sure if this is something new or I just now began to notice.   Can anyone else duplicate what I am seeing?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Two things:

First, unless you've already done so, it's likely it's time for a new recoil spring.  These small micro autos are hard on springs and they need to be replaced more often then larger guns.
Buy a new FACTORY WEIGHT recoil spring, NO extra power springs.
A new spring may correct any problems.

Second, guns often do odd things when you ease the slide closed especially with hollow point ammo.
The Kahr is intended to be loaded by locking the slide open, inserting a magazine, and pressing the slide release.
The Kahr manual SPECIFICALLY says not to "sling shot" the slide by hand, it says to load using the slide stop.
Easing the slide closed is also known as "riding" the slide and that's something all semi-auto and full-auto firearms expressly warn not to do or it will cause stoppages.

In other words, stop playing around with easing the slide closed.  No automatic is intended to work like that.  Lock the slide open, put a mag in it and press the slide stop.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's from easing the slide forward. I've had it happen. Don't do that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the "slingshot" method vs. using the slide release, and it works every time as long as it's done with "authority".
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top