Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 6/20/2015 2:15:23 PM EDT
I picked this up in a trade here in th EE, original  owner said he had no issues with it but since I got it out to shoot, it's locking the slide back 2 to 3 times per mag, I'm going to buy a new slide lock for the K9 from Kahr and hope that solves the issues, what's happening is the rounds are coming out of the mag half way out of the magazine when the pop up and are contacting the slide stop causing it to lock back with rounds still in the mag.

Hit the slide lock and the gun is back in action, I planned to carry this over the summer but I can't trust it to work, other than the slide lock issue the gun is great, perfect size and easy to carry.

My ultimate question is did kahr make any design change to the K9 slide lock or is it the same as the E9's only stainless?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You may need to replace the slide stop spring.  A weak spring may allow premature slide lock.

Also, first try different ammo and a different magazine.
Make sure the magazine is assembled correctly.  It's not unusual to see used Kahr's with the mag spring in backward.

Some ammo with longer shape bullets can contact the slide stop in almost any brand of gun and cause premature slide lock.  
Shoot some different ammo unless you've already done that just to eliminate ammo as the problem.

Since you have no way of knowing haw many rounds are through the gun, just go ahead and order a new recoil spring from Kahr.  These small guns are hard on springs and they need earlier replacement then bigger guns.
By a FACTORY WEIGHT spring.  NO extra-power springs.
The Kahr is a tiny gun operating right on the edge of what's possible.
Unlike bigger guns you can't play around with recoil springs.  It was designed to work with the factory spring and nothing else.

Last of all, make sure you have a firm grip and a locked wrist.  "Limp wristing" these small guns can cause all sorts of problems you may not see in a larger gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It might also be the follower in the magazine.  Try a different mag and see how it works.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for replying, the kahr forum is near dead in the K9 section, never thought about the slide lock spring, I only have 2 mags I'll check them for proper assembly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been shooting perfecta from Walmart if that helps any, it was on roll back so I bought a bunch of it.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top