Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 9:02:37 PM EDT
This is my second post concerning my CW40 and I'm hoping theres a quick and easy fix.  The first issue was the slide locked back after every shot.  Ended up sending it back to Kahr and got it back and finally got to go shoot it, and the slide worked just fine no lock ups at all.  But a new problem presented itself, the magazine will just release for no reason.  Thought maybe it was me, since I do have large hands and was perhaps touching the mag release.  But the same issue happens with 2 of my friends, who fired the pistol also. I'm thinking theres an issue with the mag catch, that causes it to release under recoil. So what I am looking for is a fix, that maybe I can do.  I have contacted Kahr and waiting their reply.  Also when I got the pistol back there was a circular type of burn on top of the barrel that wasn't there when I returned the first time, any ideas on this.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The slide lock with every shot was likely the tip of the slide lock that is inside the gun was getting bumped by the cartridges going past.  When my MK40 was new I was getting a couple of them a session.  

They took the gun back and milled the nose shorter and updated my springs to the later style.  I have no idea what the circular burn mark you might be talking about on your barrel.   Your description is lacking.  Is it up front where the barrel top just behind the muzzle bears against the slide during lockup?  If so it sounds like normal rubbing marks from lockup.

I don't know about the mag drop issues, That was perfect on mine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Could the gun have been assembled improperly? If the slide stop is not inserted below the spring, the slide will lock open with every shot. I've read about mags dropping but everything I've seen is that it's due to grip. Hopefully Kahr will take care of you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could the gun have been assembled improperly? If the slide stop is not inserted below the spring, the slide will lock open with every shot. I've read about mags dropping but everything I've seen is that it's due to grip. Hopefully Kahr will take care of you.
View Quote

I think you're on the right track.  I recall a guy somehow putting a glock slide stop lever spring in wrong and getting something like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I'm betting its not my grip since two others that shot the pistol had the same mag release issue.  And my friends CW40 that I shot,  the mag didnt release, I liked his so much I bought one for me.  And to clarify the slide issue was resolved when I returned it the first time.  And as of yet Kahr has not responded concerning this issue
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well two weeks and no reply from Kahr, just sent them another email.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Kahr sux big time,
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kahr sux big time,
View Quote

Opinions vary.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Kahr is sending me a new mag catch to install....sounds fairly straight forward so I'll see when it gets here.  As for the burn mark on the barrel they have no idea how it got there. GO figure, it wasn't present when I sent in for the first issue..So the saga continues.  Wish i knew how to post a pic, would love to see the responses on that issue
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay I know my post is old but updating it....got the new mag catch installed and same problem....mag will just release.....and the original problem of the slide locking back after every shot is back.....screw Kahr products....wish the weather had been nicer to test earlier....wrote CS and hope they will fix the damn problems....but I have no faith in this pistol  I know I'm ranting so I apologize if I offend anyone
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Just sell or trade it, I had a cw40 (one of 8 different Kahr's I owned) never had a problem with it other than the recoil, I have had a couple of mag followers breaking on me and Kahr replaced them free of charge, I would shoot the 200 rounds through it and see if the issue goes away, have you tried taking the slide off and putting a loaded mag in the gun to see if the stop is touching the bullet?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont know what the issue could be except operator error.

I won the CW40, CW45 and CM9 and nary an issue that wasnt a self inflicted error (slide stop put in wrong).

The fact that it went back to Kahr and they replaced parts leads me to believe that it's operator caused.

Try completely disassembling and putting it back together carefully
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Okay I know my post is old but updating it....got the new mag catch installed and same problem....mag will just release.....and the original problem of the slide locking back after every shot is back.....screw Kahr products....wish the weather had been nicer to test earlier....wrote CS and hope they will fix the damn problems....but I have no faith in this pistol  I know I'm ranting so I apologize if I offend anyone
View Quote
You should order steel mag catch for pm40 p40 gun and also change the catch spring, I have them in all my Kahr's P or CW series

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a CW40 and it was complete garbage.

Same exact 2 problems you are posting about too.

I fixed the slide locking back every other round myself.  Upon inspection, the take-down/slide stop was ill-fitting as all hell.  I took some small files to the inner part of it and corrected that issue.

I sold it before I ever resolved the mag-randomly-falling-onto-the-ground problem.  Good luck.

I vote sell the piece of shit, by the way...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The spring on the wrong side of the take down pin is usually the cause of the slide locking back on every shot.  It is confusing when you first strip it down and then reassemble.  Look at youtube.

Quoted:
View Quote

ETA:  If the slide stop/takedown pin lever is not parallel with the slide the gun has been assembled incorrectly.  This is very easy to have happen.   For example if the lever is at 2:30 instead of 3:00 with the slide closed then the slide locks back on every shot.  Many of us have had this happen when we first disassembled ours.

I don't know on the mag catch issue.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top