Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 9:44:25 PM EDT
The steel framed Kahrs have always interested me, and I found a T9 and K9 in stock, so I'm thinking about getting one.  What's the consensus on these guns?  Are they reliable and accurate?  Any issues with them?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, they fit my hand really well. In fact I haven't found someone they DON'T fit. Love the New York trigger. While that may sound as if it is an extra heavy trigger pull it's just the opposite. There is a lot of take up on it but it is still smooth as glass. As far as I know, the 9mms are the only ones that have this. I had a K40, CW9 and various others that don't have the NY trigger.

I'm having an older blued model cerakoted in a reverse two tone finish. I'll post it up when it's done. My stainless gun will be cerakoted also, it's just going to be the slide though. I believe they call it "reverse two tone" with a "silver" frame and a blackened slide. I never could understand the standard two tone guns. The frame is where you put your hand, you would want the gun to have as rust proof a finish on it. The slide is rarely touched, this is where the bluing should go. but I digress.....

The gun is a little heavy compared to the standard polymer frame guns, but I like the way it feels in my hand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response.  I watched and read several reviews last night, so I grabbed a T9 on Grab a Gun.  I usually don't buy before I try, but I figured that it was worth the risk from everything I've heard.  After all, it worked with the last gun I bought before I tried it (Walther PPQ).
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Kahr's are a little different than other guns.......READ THE MANUAL.

1. They REQUIRE a 200 round break in before you should trust them.

2. They REQUIRE that they be loaded by locking the slide back and using the slide stop.  
Many Kahr's will allow "sling shotting" the slide, especially after break in, but many people just ignore the manual instructions and had jamming issues.  Of course, it's the gun's fault.

3.  They seem to like being run with a little more lube, especially a thin coat of grease on the barrel and slide and frame rails.

4.  Be sure to re-install the recoil spring with the small end over the guide rod, big end facing the muzzle.
Springs need to be replaced more often then larger guns.

5.  Reassembly can be difficult until the gun is broken in.  It will only go together with the slide positioned EXACTLY in the right spot.
I'm not sure about the T series, but Kahr sells a plastic assembly block that fits in the slide to hold it in the right spot.
You can make one yourself from plastic or hard wood.
DO NOT USE FORCE to reassemble.

MAKE SURE you install the slide stop shaft into the hole in the barrel during assembly.  Getting it in wrong can jam the gun so bad it has to go back to Kahr.

Have fun, these are in my opinion this generations "Gold Standard" in small defense autos.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. If I like the T9 enough, I'll probably spring for a K9 soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll just love the K9.
It's the perfect small CCW automatic.  
It has the best feeling grip of them all.  Many people say it feels like a smaller Browning Hi-Power grip.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the K9/K40 guns.  They feel great in the hand.
I just wish they would have tapered the front of the slide, like the CM series, for more easy holstering.
I don't like the sights though, and wish they had installed three dots, to start with.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife had a K9. Good all metal gun in a small package. Good trigger. If the "all metal" is no biggie to you then there are better options in a 9mm small frame handgun. I'm really digging the new Ruger LC9S. Very crisp striker fired trigger.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had mine for three years and love it. As a matter of fact, it is the only gun I have left after selling off my collection due to a job loss. Very accurate and slim feeling gun. Here is mine:

I had the grip checkered 25lpi., the barrel extended and threaded 1/2 x 28, re-contoured the backstrap and refinished, and installed Ed Brown slimline hex head grip screws. The latter two were done after the photo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have had mine for three years and love it. As a matter of fact, it is the only gun I have left after selling off my collection due to a job loss. Very accurate and slim feeling gun. Here is mine:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b534/HoldenOn1/kahr1_zps86267c26.jpeg

I had the grip checkered 25lpi., the barrel extended and threaded 1/2 x 28, re-contoured the backstrap and refinished, and installed Ed Brown slimline hex head grip screws. The latter two were done after the photo.
View Quote

Niiiiiiice!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got an MK9 which is the T9 and K9's little brother.  It is a great pistol.  Trigger takes some getting used to.  They are very well made pistols.  I may get a K9 or a T9 myself.  I carry this little MK9 in my pocket all the time.  Yeah it's a little heavier than a PM9, but it's a lot more shootable.  Steel frame just sucks up recoil.  Runs like a singer sewing machine.

EDIT:  I'm not sure what dfarris is talking about on disassembly/reassembly.  I've n and ever had any problem at all.  The T, K and MK are essentially the same as far as how they work.  Little marks on the frame and slide you line up to get it in the right position to remove the slide stop and to put it back in.  You can see the marks in my picture.  Mark on slide just below the 9 and on the farm above the W in Worchester.

Good shot of the takedown marks on the frame and slide and also the stainless steel guide rod set up.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've got an MK9 which is the T9 and K9's little brother.  It is a great pistol.  Trigger takes some getting used to.  They are very well made pistols.  I may get a K9 or a T9 myself.  I carry this little MK9 in my pocket all the time.  Yeah it's a little heavier than a PM9, but it's a lot more shootable.  Steel frame just sucks up recoil.  Runs like a singer sewing machine.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/gaspipes/Misc%20Pics/76af26f0-377a-4a36-b102-06aebb6639e5_zpsa069f4f0.jpg~original

EDIT:  I'm not sure what dfarris is talking about on disassembly/reassembly.  I've n and ever had any problem at all.  The T, K and MK are essentially the same as far as how they work.  Little marks on the frame and slide you line up to get it in the right position to remove the slide stop and to put it back in.  You can see the marks in my picture.  Mark on slide just below the 9 and on the farm above the W in Worchester.

Good shot of the takedown marks on the frame and slide and also the stainless steel guide rod set up.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/gaspipes/Misc%20Pics/3b44ba66-aac6-4dd2-be11-2afd7278f691_zps47ca5684.jpg~original
View Quote

Niiiiiice! I really wish MK9's weren't so damned expensive. Maybe they need to come out with a CK9.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Niiiiiice! I really wish MK9's weren't so damned expensive. Maybe they need to come out with a CK9.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/gaspipes/Misc%20Pics/76af26f0-377a-4a36-b102-06aebb6639e5_zpsa069f4f0.jpg~original

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/gaspipes/Misc%20Pics/3b44ba66-aac6-4dd2-be11-2afd7278f691_zps47ca5684.jpg~original

Ya gets what you pays for. If you want a quality steel framed gun, you have to pay $$$ for it.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#14]
How about alloy frame with the cheaper slide machining and non-polygonal rifled bore? THAT would be bitchin'.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Kahr tried to go the alloy route, but decided that plastic was more economical. How on earth they decided that is beyond me, but seeing as how there is a BIG difference between the P9 and the CW9 in price, the money ISN'T going into the frame.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Apparently Kahr had problems with aluminum frames not standing up good enough in tests.
Seems it had something to do with the general design of the frame itself.

Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top