Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 5/11/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
I'm looking to pick up a Kahr 380 and was wondering if the P380 is really worth the extra money. Any input?
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my cw380. I didn't see it worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the cw.  I carry the CW45 and it shoots and feels every bit as good as the P45
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda what I figured. I do like the option of the replaceable front sight on the P380, but could really care less about polygonal rifling on a micro pistol or the nicer looking slide markings.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Purely aesthetics, but I don't care for the CW line.  I have a P380 that I bought prior to the CW being available.  It is easily the best pocket pistol made.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Josh how long have you had the P380? and how many rounds? I just picked one up. The LGS guys all agreed. the CW was a better deal.. but they didn't have any in stock but of course had P380s... Being an impatient man and wanting a pocket pistol I picked up the P380 today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had it since 2010 iirc.  Probably about 1,200 rds through it, mostly S&B FMJ.  It's been 100% reliable since day 1.  Shoots more like a race gun than a pocket pistol.  Everyone that's shot it has instantly fallen in lust.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Purely aesthetics, but I don't care for the CW line.  I have a P380 that I bought prior to the CW being available.  It is easily the best pocket pistol made.
View Quote

Yeah I Like the PM9 better then the CM9...same difference.  

I would spring for the P380.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
600 rds down the pipe in my cw380 with one failure to feed with winchester white box. That's good enough for me. Get some precision one ammo for carry, I ran a full box through without a hiccup.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwCXXpEP50[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kinda what I figured. I do like the option of the replaceable front sight on the P380, but could really care less about polygonal rifling on a micro pistol or the nicer looking slide markings.
View Quote

Night sights are available for the CW380.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Josh I appreciate the info. I cant wait to shoot it this weekend. It does feel good in the hand is going to disappear in a pocket holster. I have 700 rounds all ready to break her in. I picked up a nice looking kydex pocket holster.  Being my first 380... Im going to have to figure out a carry ammo...
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd probably be using Buffalo Bore if I could carry here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I went for the P380 only because all my carry weapons are black and have night sights. This serves a two fold mission, 1) all black attract less attention 2) not that I lie to my wife I figure what she doesn't know is always better for me. With all black one looks like the next so I have many more than is known to her. She has a way of always trying to even out the money spent on extra's.  The P380 is one of the most accurate small weapons you will find anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
With new Kahr's I work the slide several hundred times and leave the slide locked back overnight. Also load your magazines up they are very hard to load at first. I have had several Kahr's  pistols over the years and love the Kahr line and was told by many to do what I described above, it seemed to work on all 5 I have owned.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I have also been looking at getting one of the Kahr 380's Just haven't decided as I am always looking for a good deal and have found the CW380's for under $300. I already have 4 different PM series and really like them but can't yet bring myself to spend $5-600 for a 380.

For the guys that have purchased the CW380 have you shot them for accuracy? I know these aren't target pistols but my PM9's and PM45 are amazingly accurate. Being the 'wait and see type of guy that I am, it may be a while before I find that 'deal' on a P380. :)
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to say that I've been very very pleased with my CW380. I know a guy who has a P380 and likes it too, but I can't see paying that much more for essentially the same gun. It's almost mandatory to mention that with a Kahr you need to first clean it, lube it well and rack the slide a lot to loosen up the stiff recoil spring. But my CW380 shoots great, the only issue it's had was ammo related (Fiochhi 95gr FMJ) that wouldn't feed reliably, but upon inspection the ammo was belled (too much flare) excessively and once hammered out (yes, hammered lightly) it fed fine. I've shot some buffalo bore and both winchester train/defense FMJ and JHP and they run like a champ. Very accurate little gun too!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a few malfs early in the P380's career, and I retired it for an LCP.  Shot it again today for the first time in a long time, and I'd forgotten how good the sights and trigger were.
I think it will get a good workout in our carry-gun league, and if it behaves, I'll resume carrying it.  As far as the CW vs P, pay your money and take your choice.
Moon
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a cw380 and the only issue I've ever had is the slide not locking back after the last round after putting ~100 round through it at the range. It does get dirty pretty quick (could be the ammo though- PPU)  I don't see it as an issue, as I clean it after range days and don't plan on firing more than 2 mags worth of ammo in a self defense scenario.

For the money (LGS has a cw380 for just over 3 bills), it's an excellent choice. I really can't see how the p380 warrants the extra money, but to each their own.

FWIW, I do prefer the black slide on the p380, but not enough to spend the extra dough.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Did the Kahr dry break-in and switched to name brand ammo, and the CW runs like a champ. after ~150 rounds. As an infrequent carry gun I couldn't justify the P380 premium.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have owned in the past, a kahr P9 and CW9, the P9 looked nicer, they both shot the same for me, I wouldn't pay the extra for the P series but I'm broke, if I could afford the extra I probably would go with the P series.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my CW380 in and fired 50 rounds today. Not a single hiccup but am sort of wishing I had bought a P380 instead. Only reason being, all my PM models with the polygon type barrels, are very accurate and shoot exactly where the sights are aligned. I'm a past military competition shooter and consider myself pretty good with a handgun so I was a little bummed with this 380. :(  At first I was thinking I must be out of practice with the Kahr type trigger pull but shot my others and that wasn't the case. Tried my best to do as smooth as trigger manipulation as I could to make sure it wasn't my fault. Great grouping, just not where I want them to be on the target.
It shoots a fairly decent size group at my typical 7 yards CC target. Unfortunately this thing shoots about 2-3 inches low and 6 inches to the right!!!  That is nuts for 7 yards, I'll move the rear sight a little but I am thinking it is going to look silly with the sight moved as far as it is going to be needed for it to shoot POA. Other than that...sweet little pistol.
This was with Mag-Tech 90 grain FMJ. It was all I could find instock. I think I have a box of Remington 90 gr. FMJ in my ammo stash so I will try it but I can't believe it will shoot much differently.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I have P380, got it used with very little rounds. It is very accurate; at 7yards I usually get clover leaf size group. I can't get it with other 380 pistols; CZ83, Taurus 738, Walter PPK and Sig 232. Even Glock G42 is not that accurate
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got my CW380 in and fired 50 rounds today. Not a single hiccup but am sort of wishing I had bought a P380 instead. Only reason being, all my PM models with the polygon type barrels, are very accurate and shoot exactly where the sights are aligned. I'm a past military competition shooter and consider myself pretty good with a handgun so I was a little bummed with this 380. :(  At first I was thinking I must be out of practice with the Kahr type trigger pull but shot my others and that wasn't the case. Tried my best to do as smooth as trigger manipulation as I could to make sure it wasn't my fault. Great grouping, just not where I want them to be on the target.
It shoots a fairly decent size group at my typical 7 yards CC target. Unfortunately this thing shoots about 2-3 inches low and 6 inches to the right!!!  That is nuts for 7 yards, I'll move the rear sight a little but I am thinking it is going to look silly with the sight moved as far as it is going to be needed for it to shoot POA. Other than that...sweet little pistol.
This was with Mag-Tech 90 grain FMJ. It was all I could find instock. I think I have a box of Remington 90 gr. FMJ in my ammo stash so I will try it but I can't believe it will shoot much differently.
View Quote

You can buy a P380 barrel if you think you can get better accuracy with it... >$150 if I'm not mistaken.

ETA never mind, didn't see that you were getting tight groups. Mine isn't that far off from POA, but I don't get groups as tight as my larger pistols.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I would go with the CW380, I have been satisfied with the accuracy and reliability of my CM9 compared to my PM9 bought back in 2010 (which was unreliable and cost almost twice as much).
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Though it's not a .380, I had a PM9.  Loved the gun, but ended up trading it for a P45.  I recently picked up a CM9 (Still have the P45) & honestly, can't tell the difference when shooting it.  I fully understand that the CM (& the CW series) have pinned front sights & standard rifling barrels, but I couldn't tell the difference.  IIRC, Gunblast ran a comparison between 2 Kahrs (Polygonal vs standard rifling barrels) & actually got slightly faster velocities through the standard barrel (I think accuracy was the same).  In such short barrels (3-3.5"), I don't think you're going to see any real advantage with the polygonal barrel.  I will say that the slide on the CM/CW series is sharper & definitely not quite as nice & smooth as the PM/P series, but I didn't notice any functional advantage.

I do prefer the look of the PM/P series, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra $.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top