Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2014 4:19:28 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting a Kahr K9 or T9, but the price seems really, really high to me considering I can get a CW9 for about half the price.  So, my question is whether the steel framed Kahrs are really worth it.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had my K-9 for over 16 years and love it. The T-9 is very nice as well, but a low production piece. Most of their polymer framed guns are fine, but some require tweaking.

When I was in the industry, I remember the Kahr rep coming out in early '96 and allowing us to shoot 2Z ammo out of his K-9's. He said that Justin told him that he "guaranteed" the K-9 for at least 5,000 rounds of 2Z ammo. The rep also brought out the KelTec P-11 and we fired 2Z out of them as well. Let's just say that aluminum "cannot take the cycles".

IMO if you are looking of a polymer framed 9x19, look at the PPS or Shield.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The prices for new ones, no- I don't think they're worth it. I think the prices are very "strong." If you're willing to shop around the various gun sight classifieds, like this one, occasionally you see them for more reasonable prices.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO if you are looking of a polymer framed 9x19, look at the PPS or Shield.
View Quote

If you want another type of gun that is not the same, sure- those are good choices. But if you want a Kahr, the CM and CW models are some of the best values on the market- IMO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I just prefer steel framed guns.

Of the Kahr's the steel framed guns have the least reported complaints by customers.
If you read the gun forums you'll hear almost nothing about problems with steel guns, but a fair amount about some issues with the polymer models.
This may be because most buyers just want the lightest possible polymer models and Kahr sells more of them, but you almost never hear a complaint about an all steel model, especially the K9 series.

While it's just anecdotal, my stainless K9 just won't jam.  Right out of the box it's been 100%.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I think there's a reason you rarely see used steel frame Kahrs for sale.  I've had a K9 for a few years, and it's great.  I carry it every day, and have no problem putting my life on it.  The cheapest I've ever seen them was when the NYPD traded all theirs in, but since then, it's hard to find for cheap.  I suggest spending the extra money of a new steel frame, it's definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, yes. I have a CW9 and two Kahr K9s. The CW is too thin. It is now a fanny pack gun for when I go bicycling. The K9s feel like they were made for my hand. They now go everywhere with me. I had a K40 once. It kicked like a mule and beat up my hand so bad I ended up getting a 9mm slide, barrel, extractor and ejector for it. My daughter now has it. She loves it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I own an MK9, and in my opinion yes they are worth it. This gun eats whatever crap ammo I feed it, it has never once malfunctioned.The heavier weight helps reduce some of the recoil compared to a polymer framed Kahr. I also find the gun to be extremely accurate.

I found mine used in a local shop, made a rediculous low offer which they accepted. Bought it on a whim, and it has been a very plesant surprise that I carry more often than not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
compare Kahr
You get a machined slide stop (not MIM), additional magazine, better barrel rifling:
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I own an MK9, and in my opinion yes they are worth it. This gun eats whatever crap ammo I feed it, it has never once malfunctioned.The heavier weight helps reduce some of the recoil compared to a polymer framed Kahr. I also find the gun to be extremely accurate.......

View Quote

Pretty good report on the MK9 by MrPineco.  I have an early MK9 and am astounded by its accuracy.  Mine has never had a malf.  There are two downsides to the MK9, one is weight--you'll know you're carrying it, the other is limited capacity.  The trigger is very revolver-like and some may not like that either as it is slower to get shots off.  

I carried mine daily for about 5 yrs and switched to a baby Glock for the extra capacity.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I do agree that the weight of the gun is noticable while carrying. I don't mind the longer trigger; but I do agree that it is very revolver like.  The triggers in the polymer and metal framed guns feel similar. I don't mind this as my other carry gun is a hamerless J frame.  Like anything, with practice its easy to get multiple shots off and on target quickly.

If you're torn between the steel and polymer framed guns, try to find a place that has both to rent and shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Your comparison is slightly out of whack.

The K-9 better compares to the P-9.

Both have the tool steel slide stops, extra mag, more detailed slide machining and polygonal rifled barrel.
The MSRP difference between those is basically $100.

The difference between the CW-9 and the P-9 is about $250, $350 between CW-9 & K-9
Because the CW series has a MIM stop, one mag, traditional rifling and a more basic slide.

So when you put it in that context, yes, I believe the steel framed K-9 is worth a $100 premium over its polymer apples to apples counterpart.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top