Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I finally shot my EMP 9mm yesterday.

I only put 50rds through it as I was on my lunch break, zero problems what so ever, shot straight and felt great. I used all 3 mags that it came with, and no problems with the mags or guns. I bought the gun slightly used in May.

I want to practice a bit more with it before I carry, at the moment I can place follow up shots better with my TRP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:42:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAFFE] [#2]
Initial range report...
Hot.  102, no AC, just a fan, under cover.
Shot 200 rounds WWB 147gr FMJ.
Zero failures to feed or fire.
5 failures to eject - three partial extractions, 2 stovepipes.  (Rate increased as the pistol heated up - was quite hot at the end of shooting. 1 towards the end of the first 100 rounds, 1 in the second 50, and three in the last 50.)
POI may be high and left - but it could be my trigger pull.  I'll need to shoot off of a rest, and see if it does the same.
Initial impressions - I like it. In my hands, it points better and is more controllable than my HK P2000sk.  
Need more range trips and break-in, and then see if it needs any tuning back at the factory.

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Im at 1450 rounds on mine with no FTF or FTE. Now I am shooting handloads, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Ive picked up 4 more of the OEM Mec Gar mags. All 7 run with no issues so far.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Just picked my EMP 40, put 100 quick rounds of 135 gr Federal JHP (some of my DHS issued service ammo, you know; the one DHS bought by the millions?) and aside from the 2nd round, which FTFd (mainly because the gun was bone-dry); all other fed, shoty and ejected without s single issue.

She's a keeper.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the size of the EMP, it would make a great carry gun.

But from what I've seen firsthand since Springfield sent out the first demo EMPs up until now, they're utter, absolute, nonfunctional jokes.  

They look nice though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By samuse:

But from what I've seen firsthand since Springfield sent out the first demo EMPs up until now, they're utter, absolute, nonfunctional jokes.  

They look nice though.

Funny thing, when I read this post I got a little offended and was going to post a rebuttal.  Then I realized I kinda agree.  My EMP runs well with no failures on 147g HST (haven't tried other HP's recently) BUT I did have to send it back a few times (you can see my posts about it on the last few pages).

Even though I now know in my mind that it is reliable, I never carry it.  When I carry a small 9mm I carry my Walther PPS that has never given me a lick of trouble since I took it out of the box and is very accurate.  The problems with my EMP caused my wife to be apprehensive about automatics, and she now has a J-frame revolver.  I originally got the EMP thinking it would good for the wife to shoot/carry.  I suppose in the back of my mind I feel a lot more confident in my PPS than my EMP (even though the EMP has tested out fine with about 150 rds of HST).

This is my first "1911".  From what I read online it seems that it is perfectly acceptable, almost expected, for a 1911 to not run "out of the box" (have to tune extractor, have to run X number of rounds to break it in etc.).  If you are of that mindset, the EMP when running is great (and a lot of folks in this thread have never had any issues...).  My autos are: Sig p229, HK Mk23, Walther PPS, Springfield EMP and all the other three have never given me a problem from the first shot out of the box and I do trust them a lot more.

I will say the "utter, absolute nonfunctioning jokes" part isn't completely accurate, but I can't be mad at you

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
My new XDm 9 and my new Boker blade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 10:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#8]
Originally Posted By racingglock35:
My new XDm 9 and my new Boker blade.

Cool, but not an EMP.

I brought my EMP 9mm to the local gun shop and put it on consignment. The EMP is a great shooting gun, but it was an impulse purchase and it just doesn't feel right for me. I'm looking to replace it with a MC Operator.
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Brand new! Was the wife's 30th birthday present, she had no idea how much it cost when we went to pick it out. It will be her EDC piece when she gets her permit, finally!

9mm, loaded edition.  Two RTB issues on the first mag, then 91 rounds flawlessly after that. Gun was dry. She never fired a 1911 until this point, but we both knew this was the gun for her.  

Crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By samuse:

They look nice though.

Completely opposite experience for me. I've run no less than 2000 rounds (450 on its first outing) and I've never had a FTF, FTE or any problems. Its accurate, the trigger is my favorite. I do a lot of draw from concealment shooting and really enjoy the gun.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The size of the EMP appealed to me so I started the hunt looking for one in stock and not marked up in cost - finally found one!
Really enjoying this thing!  Great shooting - eats all kinds of ammo - new out of the box I put about 250 rounds in it and not even 1 hiccup - nothing
not even a miss-feed - amazing!!   My only tiny concern is that it felt "slippery" in my big hands so I upgrade the grips.  The Grip upgrade has made all the
difference.   more photos and close ups on the grip upgrade here.

Upgraded the gips with a set of Alien grips in Dart Desert Sand from VZGrips.

Link Posted: 9/22/2013 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
For you guys with the EMP.40s, is the recoil bad? By that I mean does it feel as if you've caught a baseball bat that was swung at you with your shooting hand every shot? I had a Kahr K40 and it beat the snot out of my hand. Every time I fired it the web of my hand was bleeding before I reached 50 rounds! Although I didn't pay as much as for the EMP, I don't want to abuse my body with an 1100ish gun.

I like the idea of a "reduced" sized gun that I don't have to get an extended slide stop for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MCBallpeen:

For you guys with the EMP.40s, is the recoil bad? By that I mean does it feel as if you've caught a baseball bat that was swung at you with your shooting hand every shot? I had a Kahr K40 and it beat the snot out of my hand. Every time I fired it the web of my hand was bleeding before I reached 50 rounds! Although I didn't pay as much as for the EMP, I don't want to abuse my body with an 1100ish gun.

I like the idea of a "reduced" sized gun that I don't have to get an extended slide stop for.
View Quote

Not sure on the recoil of the .40 in the EMP (my XDsc .40 is not bad even with +P) but they do make the EMP in 9mm.

Link Posted: 9/24/2013 3:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCBallpeen] [#14]
Originally Posted By Cozmacozmy:

Not sure on the recoil of the .40 in the EMP (my XDsc .40 is not bad even with +P) but they do make the EMP in 9mm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I do know that the 9mm has an aluminum frame. The .40 has a steel frame. Plastic frames are a bit puzzling. They do reduce recoil but are lighter too. However, I already have combat tupperware and am looking for an all steel gun.

Although I own many 9mm pistols, I only trust my life to cartridges beginning with the number 4.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]

I do know that the 9mm has an aluminum frame. The .40 has a steel frame. Plastic frames are a bit puzzling. They do reduce recoil but are lighter too. However, I already have combat tupperware and am looking for an all steel gun.

Although I own many 9mm pistols, I only trust my life to cartridges beginning with the number 4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh thanks, I did not know that. I have been wanting an EMP but have not decided on a caliber yet and which one I have now that would be put up for sale to afford the EMP.

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Just look at the weights of the guns. The 9mm is 26 ounces and the .40 is closer to 30 ounces. There wouldn't be that much of a difference between the two if they used the same frames. If anything the .40 would be lighter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
So I'm thinking of picking up an EMP in 9mm for daily carry.  

I haven't seen any updates/reports of reliability issues recently.  Anyone with any info on recently produced EMP 9s or 40s?

Anyone feel like talking me out of an EMP?
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 9:46:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MCBallpeen] [#18]
Originally Posted By B05T0N22:
So I'm thinking of picking up an EMP in 9mm for daily carry.  

I haven't seen any updates/reports of reliability issues recently.  Anyone with any info on recently produced EMP 9s or 40s?

Anyone feel like talking me out of an EMP?
View Quote

I wish I could but I just picked up two myself. Both .40s. They will be here Monday. God I can't wait!!! Already have one set of VZ grips for it the other is being brought by UPS. I'll let you know about the relability after a trip to the range.

The first is slightly used (20 rounds) and comes with two holsters, mag pouch and seven (7) magazines. Paid $1060 for it. The second is brand new. Paid $1074 for it.

The used one has VZ Tiger stripe grips on it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#19]
New pictures. New grips on the "new" gun.

I have been shooting the "new" gun and it is NOT disappointing me. I tried some Blackhills TAC-XP loads through it. Talk about NICE. Very little recoil and the bullets seem to be moving out at around 1100 fps. I know they're rated for more velocity, but you can only expect so much out of a small case / long bullet and a 3" barrel. The funny thing is I tried some home rolled Barnes Tac-XP loads and they were at the same velocity. The home brew cartridges formed a nice tight group in the head. These are either some accurate guns or really accurate bullets. Either way I've ordered up about 200 more TAC- XP bullets to reload. A max charge of 6.1 grains of Ramshot Silhouette, the pound of powder I bought should last a long time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Figured it was time for an update.

I picked up my EMP 9mm a little while back and I love this thing.  It's probably one of my favorite guns I've ever shot.  The trigger is fantastic, and for only a 3in barrel, this thing is crazy accurate.  I've run various 115gr. FMJs and 124gr. JHP Speer Gold Dots without any problems.   I had 1 or 2 issues with some cheap, low-recoil crap ammo - if I remember there were a few failures to feed with this ammo.

I allowed my good friend to shoot mine, and I then had to spend the next month helping him find one for himself, Ha!

I almost never carry my M&P Shield anymore, and have found Galco's classic lite shoulder rig is fantastic for the EMP - yea I know it's not the fastest, but I wear it under my shirt and I almost always have it with me.

These things kick ass.  Anyone that's questioning buying one...just do it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Picked up an EMP Compact LW yesterday. They finally made it in solid Armory Kote this year, was wanting something to match my TRP. New set of grips and maybe some night sights and I'll be ready to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Chiming in to update an old thread

picked up a emp on Friday put 300 rounds 250 federal 115gr and 50 Winchester 115gr

gun performed flawless i field stripped and lubed it thoroughly prior to shooting

great little gun very light recoil and very accurate
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered my 3" 40S&W yesterday. I'll report back when it gets here and I can run it through its paces.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#24]
How are these pistols working out? I remember awhile back there were issues. Would love to own one in 40 S&W.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
How are these pistols working out? I remember awhile back there were issues. Would love to own one in 40 S&W.
View Quote

It's heavier than I expected, but runs OK. Hard to disassemble and reassemble.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Just picked one up in 40 S&W used in pristine condition. It is heavier but that’s fine. Time for a range trip.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the officer model EMP (3" barrel); great carry gun in a OWB pancake belt holster. Only grip is the sights get a little off center beyond 15meters, may need to get a set of adjustable rears sights.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow. No one else? Shot mine a bit but started not locking back after last round. Sent in the SA. Fixed and shooting great. No charge.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top