Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/18/2007 5:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matthew_Q]
I just had to do it... I wanted one, so I bought it, a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm.  Just got it home a little while ago, but haven't hit the range yet.  Looks GREAT.  I stripped it once, and all the fit and finish is great!

I'll get to the range probably on Sunday.  I'm going to strip it and clean it up, then lube the way I usually do 1911s (some RIG grease) and go blast at least 200 rounds.  Probably 300 for a good break-in.  

The 1911 slide holster and leather mag pouch I already had will work fine for it, since the included kydex holster and mag pouch aren't really that good for concealment.  I'll probably look into getting a Versa Max 2 for it later on.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2007 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By ikor:
Sigh...I don't need another gun, but will likely end up with an EMP pretty soon. I like what I see and hear so far...mostly at least.

I'll post a range report here after I take her to the range.  I hear they're sweet and accurate shooters!  

Link Posted: 10/18/2007 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I like
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By HardShell:
Congrats!  I'll be interested in the AAR -- there is something just appealing to me about this little pistol...

it's a small, good lookin 1911.  What's not to like?  

Probably won't have time to hit the range tomorrow or Saturday (putting a new top on my car Saturday - that's an all day job!).   Sunday I'll try to hit the outdoor range and see if I can get 2-300 rounds through it.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2007 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
RANGE REPORT!!

What I had planned for today didn't quite work out, so I decided to hit the indoor range a few minutes from where I live.  I put 150 rounds of some WWB, R-P and Independence 115gr FMJ through it.

ACCURACY:  That little pistol is ACCURATE.  If you've got a steady hand, it will put a round exactly where you aimed it!  Unfortunately, my hands were not really that steady!  

TRIGGER:  Trigger pull is slightly on the heavy side for a 1911, but still light.  I'd guess around 5lb.  Release was VERY crisp with very little if any overtravel.  The safety was easy to operate, snapping into safe and fire with a firm snick.  (I had an SA MilSpec that had a very stiff safety previously).  

RECOIL:  Recoil is a little snappy, and there was a little bit of fire breathing from that short barrel!  It felt a little brisk, but the grip is pretty narrow.  It's not enough to cause discomfort.  150 rounds and my hand is not sore at all.  I'd say muzzle flip is very low, probably thanks to the short action.  

MALFUNCTIONS:  No failures to feed, but I did have 4 failures to eject.  It happened three times with some older WWB (IIRC, some CZ pistols had issues with the older WWB value pack ammo, and I think this was the same stuff - had the telltale annealing marks on the case) and one with an R-P round.

MAGAZINES:  All of the magazines were easy to load and dropped free of the mag well.  Seating them does take a little tap, since the mag catch seems to interfere a little.  I think one might want to see about obtaining 'extra power' springs for a little bit more of a feeling of reliability.

SIGHTS: The sights are excellent!  Black notch and post (Novak style rear sight) with green tritium inserts.  The tritium is in what looks like a small stainless steel ring.  I checked it out in the dark last night... very easy to see!  Today on the range, they worked very well.  Except for my not so steady hand, and the 4 FTEs, it ran great, felt great, and was more accurate than I was!

Tonight I'm going to clean it up and take out the extractor to make sure it and it's channel are clean, then probably tension it just a little.   I'm still planning on hitting the outdoor range on Sunday, so I'll put about another 150 rounds through it.  I still have some WWB and R-P FMJ that I'm going to put through it before I try any HP rounds.  I want to give it a good break in.  I've had a few new SA 1911s in the past, and they all liked to have a few hundred rounds of ball through 'em before they would feed HPs.  

Here's a couple pics at the range (taken with my phone...)

Link Posted: 10/20/2007 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Great report, Matthew...I'm sold!
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks so much!
I'm dissapointed you had some FTE malfunctions. I have been shooting WWB for years since it 1st hit the market. I have never heard of that problem or seen it 1st hand. The gun should not have had those malfunctions. Maybe the extractor needs tweeking and the gun is probibly VERY tight so I hope after a few hundred rounds it functions 100% after a good break in.

Please let us know how the 2nd and 3rd range trips go and even beyone that.

Thanks again and enjoy the new toy!
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, glad I could help.   I really like the pistol.  

I took the extractor out... looks like I could probably remove just a hair of meat behind the hook.  If that doesn't help, I'll call SA and see if they can send me a new one.  

I might not get to the range tomorrow... the top project on my car didn't wrap up well tonight.  I might be able to go early next week... since I'm unemployed at the moment!  

Link Posted: 10/21/2007 2:42:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Matthew, one more thing...did your EMP come with 2 mags or 3?  I've seen some dealers advertise two mags in-the-box, while others seem to include 3.

Also, if you don't mind me askin', what was the "out-the-door" price on your pistol?  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By badkarma56:
Hey Matthew, one more thing...did your EMP come with 2 mags or 3?  I've seen some dealers advertise two mags in-the-box, while others seem to include 3.

Also, if you don't mind me askin', what was the "out-the-door" price on your pistol?  

Thanks again.

Three.  They're supposed to have three mags.  

Mine was marked $1049.  I got them to give it to me for that much out the door.   I probably could have found one for a bit less on Gunbroker, but it's from a local dealer that's pretty good to work with.   Like I mentioned above, I would like it much better if it were $700-800, but still, it's a great piece!
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the review i think that i will wait for a few more months and get one, the wife likes it and she currently uses my kahr i will get it and she can have which ever she prefers and hopefully that means that i get to carry the emp!

btw at gander mtn. i  think they wanted $1199 for em, wow that is steep. i will definetly look other places.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the looks of those EMP's.  Great AAR Matt.

Just a lil on the steep side for any 9 mil however.  Can't wait to hear how it runs after it's been broken in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I called SA yesterday to get the part number for the EMP magazines.  The EMP includes a '1911 Loaded Coupon' that has discounted prices on all kinds of stuff, but didn't list the EMP magazines.  

Called and got the part number and price.  Only $19.50 each, so I filled out the order for three more magazines.  

I'm going to try to hit the range tomorrow or Sunday and get another ~200 rounds through it.  I tweaked the extractor a little bit, so hopefully the FTEs will be nonexistent!
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE...

Went out today with 250 rounds of UMC... and picked up a box of Win 147gr TC.

Still had FTEs.  Out the wazoo.  With the UMC, it was probably one in every 15 rounds FTE.  

I'll be calling SA tomorrow.  A pistol that costs this much should run like a swiss clock.  PERIOD.  We'll see if they make it right.  I'm gonna see if they can just send me a new extractor.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By SGB:
Did you try adding just a tad more tension to the extractor?

I had to do this with my SA , right out of the box.
Aslo that is really nice -  I like it alot
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Did you try adding just a tad more tension to the extractor?

I did try to bend it a little bit.  I removed a little meat from behind the hook with a small file.  Seems like it did worse, but it could be that today I was shooting mostly UMC instead of WWB.  

I'm gonna see what SA says.  If they'll send me a new extractor, I'll try that.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I just stripped the pistol and pulled the extractor.  Gave it a bit more tension, I could tell by the resistance I got when reinserting the extractor.

I'll have to get to the range.  I won't call it 'good' until I get 100 rounds through it without a hitch.  I might be able to hit the indoor range tomorrow evening.  I'm expecting a job offer from a place I think I would really like, so I might want to celebrate by busting a few caps!  

Link Posted: 10/28/2007 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the review. I've been trying out the range's EMP, and I'm also impressed how accurate and comfortable it is to shoot. Plus it looks great.

Were you able to get a good deal on the price?
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Sique:
Thanks for the review. I've been trying out the range's EMP, and I'm also impressed how accurate and comfortable it is to shoot. Plus it looks great.

Were you able to get a good deal on the price?

Not too good on the price, I got it for $1049 out the door.  I went in, that was the price, I said 'out the door, and I'll take it'.   I've seen some on gunbroker for a bit less, but I wanted it NOW.  

It does shoot great, and it is VERY accurate.  I just hope the tweak to the extractor does the trick for me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Local shop has one marked 1350
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
Local shop has one marked 1350

That's quite a bit too high!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to hear you still had malfunctions. I may have to wait a little while to buy this one...let SF get the bugs out. Please keepus up to date on how things work out.

FWIW I have a Ultra Compact 45 that has tip up jams. Springfield replaced the barrel and a few other parts and it is better but it still does it with the stock mags but not with Wilson mags. I'm going to have a local smith look at it and hopefully get it 100% reliable or it will be sold. I will not own an unreliable firearm! That is like owning a car that fails to start 1 or 2 times out of 8.
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Sorry to hear you still had malfunctions. I may have to wait a little while to buy this one...let SF get the bugs out. Please keepus up to date on how things work out.

FWIW I have a Ultra Compact 45 that has tip up jams. Springfield replaced the barrel and a few other parts and it is better but it still does it with the stock mags but not with Wilson mags. I'm going to have a local smith look at it and hopefully get it 100% reliable or it will be sold. I will not own an unreliable firearm! That is like owning a car that fails to start 1 or 2 times out of 8.

Yep... it's disappointing.  Aside from the FTEs, the gun works fine.  I only had one FTF, but I think that was due to weak extraction.  It fed some 147gr Win TCMC OK, but still had FTEs.  I did put a noticeable amount more tension on the extractor last night... I might get to the range today or tomorrow sometime with some UMC and WWB.  If it does not run 100%, I'll be calling SA.  For the price of the gun, I expect it to WORK.  If I can't get it to work, I'll tell them I expect them to make it 100% reliable.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Another UPDATE:

After tweaking the extractor to get a little more tension, I went to the range today with some UMC and WWB ball.

HORRIBLE!!  Out of six magazines (three of each cartridge), I had probably 25 FTEs.  With the WWB, I had FOUR out of one magazine!  

I just called Springfield... the pistol is going back for work.  I'm about to head out and get it sent in today.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Another UPDATE:

After tweaking the extractor to get a little more tension, I went to the range today with some UMC and WWB ball.

HORRIBLE!!  Out of six magazines (three of each cartridge), I had probably 25 FTEs.  With the WWB, I had FOUR out of one magazine!  

I just called Springfield... the pistol is going back for work.  I'm about to head out and get it sent in today.  

................... keep us posted.

I expect it to come back and run 100%.  

And lick my balls.

After what I spent on that gun, trips to the range, ammo, and shipping it back... I think SA needs to give me some free shit.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Another UPDATE:

And lick my balls.

After what I spent on that gun, trips to the range, ammo, and shipping it back... I think SA needs to give me some free shit.  

Did you have to pay to ship it to them? Every time Iship a gun in I get stuck paying shipping! I guess I need to get more "mean".
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Another UPDATE:

And lick my balls.

Did you have to pay to ship it to them? Every time Iship a gun in I get stuck paying shipping! I guess I need to get more "mean".

I paid the shipping, but I'm going to call them in a week... I'm going to gripe a bit.  $1100 for the gun... plus the three range trips, 500 rounds of ammo, then $50 to send it back to them?   I expect some sort of concession.  I'd take a few more magazines or something.

We'll see what they do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Another UPDATE:

And lick my balls.

I paid the shipping, but I'm going to call them in a week... I'm going to gripe a bit.  $1100 for the gun... plus the three range trips, 500 rounds of ammo, then $50 to send it back to them?   I expect some sort of concession.  I'd take a few more magazines or something.

We'll see what they do.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you tried the different mags as that would have been an easier fix. Hopefully whatevers causing it is a rare event and it works great once you get it back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Sique:

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you tried the different mags as that would have been an easier fix. Hopefully whatevers causing it is a rare event and it works great once you get it back.

I honestly think it's just the extractor.  When it did encounter an FTE, I could lock the slide back, pull the mag, and the spent case would fall out of the chamber when I tapped the end of the slide....  it feeds well from all of the mags...   I really think it's just a bum extractor... something is out of spec.   They should take about 10 days... When I get it back, I am going to get to the range as soon as possible with it.   If it does not work, I'm going to send it back and tell them to put a new slide, barrel and extractor on it.  I paid too much to have an unreliable pistol.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Another update:

I received the pistol from SA on Tuesday.  They refinished the slide, cut (polished?) the feed ramp, reamed the chamber and tuned the extractor.  At least, that's what the paperwork said.  The slide does seem to be more 'glossy' than it's original bead blast finish.  Not much, but I can tell they did something to it.

I have not hit the range yet, but will probably do so Saturday or Sunday.  I got the three new mags I ordered, so I'll have six total.  I'll test a few magazine loads with the original mags, and if they work fine, I'll try all six.  I want to get through a couple hundred rounds without problems.   If it so much as hiccups on me, I'll be calling SA, and have them replace the whole upper half of the gun... and reimburse me for my shipping costs.  

Lord I hope it works right this time!
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#35]
God knows you're handling this much better than I would.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
God knows you're handling this much better than I would.

Dude, if it FTEs on me again...   It's gonna be hard not to get real upset with SA on the phone.   I'd tell them I'll keep my cool, but I WILL BE PISSED.  I will make it known that I would not be very happy about spending over a THOUSAND DOLLARS on a pistol, THEN sending it in AT MY EXPENSE to have them NOT FIX IT...   That's when I'll tell them I want a whole new upper half put on it, and I want one of their Custom Shop guys to MAKE IT WORK RIGHT.  

I might possibly hit the range tomorrow evening.. or Saturday sometime.  I will post here with an AAR>
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds good bro.  I'm just saying you've got more patience then me but at this point you have every right to drag their name in the mud every chance you get.

Hope it works out alright for ya at the range.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Are other ownders having problems with their EMP's as well? I haven't heard a whole lot of positive or negative about them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Sounds good bro.  I'm just saying you've got more patience then me but at this point you have every right to drag their name in the mud every chance you get.

Don't drag them through the mud yet. They fixed it so first test the gun and see if they truly took care of it. If not then drag away.

I'm very much looking forward to your next range trip!!!!!! Try to do it Friday and post back so I can sleep Friday night!!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 1:23:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#40]

Don't drag them through the mud yet. They fixed it so first test the gun and see if they truly took care of it. If not then drag away.

I'm very much looking forward to your next range trip!!!!!! Try to do it Friday and post back so I can sleep Friday night!!!!

Why should a +$1000 pistol not come functioning perfect from the factory?  Why should it have to go back in which he has to pay for...granted I know most places do this same practice....but thats shitty to have to have warranty work done on a pretty much brand new $1000 pistol...b/c it isn't reliable.  But you've got a point.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Why should a +$1000 pistol not come functioning perfect from the factory?  Why should it have to go back in which he has to pay for...granted I know most places do this same practice....but thats shitty to have to have warranty work done on a pretty much brand new $1000 pistol...b/c it isn't reliable.  But you've got a point.

Yeah but crap does happen. It is still a mass produced product and a few bad ones that may need tweeking will get out from time to time. If the EMP is still having problems I would be so pissed! I would demand a new EMP fully factory tested for 100% proper function by their Custom Guys or my $$$$ back. You are right that $1000.00+ gun should be a champ right out of the box!
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 3:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZR2] [#43]
Put your shipping receipt in the box, and they reimburse your shipping if it is a warranty issue. They did so with my SA GI that had to go back.

ETA - I really want one of those EMPs for carry, so I'm hoping that SA makes it right for ya!
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#44]
SA didn't have a problem reimbursing me for shipping to fix the sights on my Loaded.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matthew_Q] [#45]
MOTHER FUCKER.

Went to the range earlier with about 60 rounds of UMC and 200 rounds of WWB.  

Got through six mags of UMC before I got an FTE.  I kept shooting a bit, and I think I had one more out of the UMC.  Then started with the WWB.  *)(*&#%!!!!   Got a couple mags, then started getting FTEs again.  Same thing.  I had at least two or three magazine loads that FTE 4 rounds out of 9.  I only shot 100 of the WWB.... Out of about 160 rounds, I probably had 15 FTEs.  

I'm going to call SA and tell them they're going to do this:

Take it back again, and reimburse me for shipping BOTH times.
Install a NEW extractor and have their Custom Shop MAKE IT WORK...  with at LEAST 200 rounds of WWB running FLAWLESSLY.
THEN, when they get it WORKING, they can change out the recoil spring assembly for a new one.

If I get it back again, and it still doesn't work, they better take the gun back and give me a full refund.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#46]

MOTHER FUCKER.

Got through six mags of UMC before I got an FTE.  I kept shooting a bit, and I think I had one more out of the UMC.  Then started with the WWB.  *)(*&#%!!!!   Got a couple mags, then started getting FTEs again.  Same thing.  I had at least two or three magazine loads that FTE 4 rounds out of 9.  I only shot 100 of the WWB.... Out of about 160 rounds, I probably had 15 FTEs.  

Install a NEW extractor and have their Custom Shop MAKE IT WORK...  with at LEAST 200 rounds of WWB running FLAWLESSLY.
THEN, when they get it WORKING, they can change out the recoil spring assembly for a new one.

If I get it back again, and it still doesn't work, they better take the gun back and give me a full refund.  

Damn, that really sucks man. Hopefully they can get it turned around for you.

Hate to say it, but experiences like this are why I don't carry a 1911 anymore.

On a positive note, though - my father had virtually the same experience with a Para CCO. Didn't work right, went to factory and came back still screwed up - second time around it came back PERFECT and hasn't stuttered once since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Got through six mags of UMC before I got an FTE.  I kept shooting a bit, and I think I had one more out of the UMC.  Then started with the WWB.  *)(*&#%!!!!   Got a couple mags, then started getting FTEs again.  Same thing.  I had at least two or three magazine loads that FTE 4 rounds out of 9.  I only shot 100 of the WWB.... Out of about 160 rounds, I probably had 15 FTEs...  

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  My EMP has been flawless thus far (just passed 600 rounds down-range today).  May I ask what your serial number is?  My EMP has a serial number in the low 4000's (it was proofed at the factory in early October).

I've heard that early production runs of EMP's had issues similar to yours.  Perhaps you should request an exchange from SA for a more-recently manufactured EMP.

FWIW, my Sig P226 Navy suffered several FTE/stovepipe malfunctions with Winchester "white box" ammo (Q4172) when it was new.  What I learned from that experience is that "white box" ammo is a very sedate load, and really less than ideal for "breaking in" a tight new pistol.  Accordingly, I've since decided to stick with my Dad's advice of always starting out with "hot" ammo in new guns.  For a new 9mm weapon, that means using 9mm NATO/mil-spec ammo.

I started my EMP off with 100 rounds of NATO-spec ammo, and now it'll eat anything that I feed it (Remington UMC, Winchester "white box", Sellier & Bellot, JHP ammo, etc.).  In my opinion, UMC is a pretty soft load too, but I prefer it over "white box" in new pistols.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Yikes. Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see how the company responds.

Link Posted: 11/18/2007 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By 53vortec:

MOTHER FUCKER.

Damn, that really sucks man. Hopefully they can get it turned around for you.

Hate to say it, but experiences like this are why I don't carry a 1911 anymore.

On a positive note, though - my father had virtually the same experience with a Para CCO. Didn't work right, went to factory and came back still screwed up - second time around it came back PERFECT and hasn't stuttered once since.

It's not really a 1911.  It's a scaled down version that changes the dynamics entirely.  Some people say a 1911 is supposed to be a 5" .45.  I think I sometimes agree with them.  Any time you stray from the original design, it changes things. Ala glock .40. Plus, it is a production 1911.  I don't care how much they're are charging for it. It still is what it is.  Furthermore, I have a hard time buying any new model of anything, because you're usually the gunea pig.  And to piggy back on all that, his seems messed up pretty bad but I haven't heard any other complaints yet and I have heard some guys praising them.  

But it's a neat little pistol, it'd be cool if they could get it to work for him!!!!!!!!

As far as WWB goes, I've never had a problem with it in any new gun I've run it through.  2 NIB Beretta M9's, and a Browning HiPower.  Plus .45 in a Springy Milspec and a Kimber Custom II.  Also an XD.  The .45 is not weak at all.  But the 9mm is a little.  And it's dirty.  But in my experience, your weapons should still work with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top