Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 3:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hartmann] [#1]

Originally Posted By SGB:

15% SMALLER than a 3inch .45.

Yep, but the un-sung difference in the EMP may be the overall circumference of the stocks (grips).  I have read that it is roughly 0.5" smaller than the next closest micro compact 1911.  Saying " 0.5 inches " may not sound impressive, but it has made a WORLD of difference for Mrs. Hartmann's ability to manipulate the trigger, safety and slide lock properly.  

In about 9 years of shooting this is the first gun she's ever truly enjoyed shooting.  As long as the reliability issues work out, it will get a big thumbs-up from us.

Cool pic BTW.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
New Range Report!

100 rds: 50 rounds Blazer Brass.  50 Rounds HSM reloads.

Again:

0 (zero) Type 1 malfunctions
0 (zero) Type 2 malfunctions
0 (zero) Type 3 malfunctions

HOWEVER, the slide did NOT lock back the empty mags.  Except (and this is the weird part) for the final 25 rounds or so of the HSM reload stuff.    

Two of the three included mags were much easier to insert than they were when brand new, but one is still difficult.  Hopefully it will work itself out as well.

I need to add that this has been about 250 rounds with NO cleaning, so the 0 malfs is even more heartneing.  I cleaned & lubed it this evening.

I am not happy about the slide not locking back but will see what happens. It will go back to SA if it does not work properly.

All seems to be going well and we should get back to the range on Sunday for another 100 - 150 rds.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
New range report:

50 rounds of Brass Blazer.  50 rounds of Wolf (hey why not try everything, right?).

Results were exactly the same as above - 0 malfs.

And the slide still does not stay locked back on an empty mag.

We may try going with better ammo, perhaps JHP.  If it is a higher powered cartridge perhaps that will enable the slide to stay locked back.

350 rounds total so far.  And the ergonomics continue to be a hit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Hartmann:

In about 9 years of shooting this is the first gun she's ever truly enjoyed shooting

that's awesome
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if SA will consider doinga  whoel series of 9mm handguns off of this basic downscaled frame- they might have a real winner on their (smallish) hands there!

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
New range report:

200 rounds of UMC yellow box "Mega Pack."

Results were exactly the same as above - 0 malfs.

As for the slide locking back on an empty mag, it seems it would stay locked back for me pretty consistently, but not as consistently for Mrs. Hartmann.  It could be she is "limp wristing" the shots so we are working to diagnose.

Still, when she shoots her Glock 27 the slide always stays locked back.  So I'm not about to assume it's her gun handling that is at fault.

550 rounds total so far. And the ergonomics continue to be a hit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
I wonder if SA will consider doinga  whoel series of 9mm handguns off of this basic downscaled frame- they might have a real winner on their (smallish) hands there!

I think it would be nice to have a 4" version.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have really really big hands. (about the only pistols I've held comfortably have been an XD, a PT92, and a 1445)  I shot the EMP 9 last summer, for only two mags, and was very impressed with it, but would immediately start trying to find thicker grips and an arched MSH.  Kind of defeats the purpose, eh?
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have meaty hands as well and personally don't like the way the EMP feels.  I will stick with my Glock 30.

However, I feel the EMP is an excellent option for people with small hands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
New report!  The EMP goes to Front Sight.

Mrs. Hartmann took a 4-day handgun class at Front Sight (I took the rifle class ).  She shot approximately 500 rounds in that class total.  Also, that class tends to be pretty tough on guns, with the round count, the constant handling and the grit getting into it.  With all that, other than intentionally set-up malfunctions, the EMP did not malfunction at all.  

However, she did notice that on 2 magazines, the base plates were sliding halfway off.  Those will be returned to SA promptly.  The other 4 magazines functioned as designed.  The only thing that she could not test was slide lock-back on an empty magazines, because Front Sight emphasizes keeping the gun topped off and not running it empty.  So that remains a question mark.

Mrs. Hartmann has taken this class 3 or 4 times, with the Glock 27 and 19.  She usually came away dejected and unhappy, with large bandages on her thumb and frustration over getting a good trigger press, and doing mag changes.  Well, this time she was beaming from ear to ear -- everything about this gun works for her.  Every day during & after the class she said " I LOVE my new gun!" several times  For the first time, she is interested in actually learning how to disassemble and clean her own firearm.  And THAT is worth every cent we paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawk_eb] [#13]
well I finally did it. Picked up a new EMP. Last fall I was handling one and didn't understand what all the hype was about. Last week I was at the gun shop and was messing with some full sized 1911 and asked the owner about the emp. That is when I found out what Springfield was doing making the EMP. So I just had to have one. Picked one up last week, cleaned and oiled then went to the range last weekend. WOW!

100 rounds 115 WWB nice and accurate no FTF, FTE.

150 rounds 115 Fiochie not as accurate seems a little hotter load than WWB no failures

100 rounds 135 Federal Personal Defense. Great load dead on small groups, no muzzle flash, feed and fired great.

5 rounds 115 PMC (older stuff 90's manufacture) EMP NO LIKE PMC!!

Problem was I loaded the gun, racked the slide, fired first round and slide didn't go all the way into battery. I couldn't open the slide the only way was to tap the rear of slide with my hand. Fired shot 2 and the same thing. I drooped the mag taped the slide fired round 3 . Put some more lube on gun and thought about trying it one more time. Fired round 4 and wouldn't ya know same thing.  No more PMC for EMP. I was hoping I didn't have a problem so I ran 20 more 135 Federals, no prob. 20 124 GDHP. ran good. 50 rounds Federal American Eagle, also no problem.

Now as small as the EMP is it is just a joy to shoot. I have never shot a compact handgun that was that much fun to shoot and it preformed outstanding.

I sure hope that Springfield doesn't come out with a 4 inch or I am going to be in big trouble with the wife. I already said to her that it sure would be nice to have a second EMP in the house and all I got was "THE LOOK" !!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By hawk_eb:
I sure hope that Springfield doesn't come out with a 4 inch or I am going to be in big trouble with the wife. I already said to her that it sure would be nice to have a second EMP in the house and all I got was "THE LOOK" !!  

Well just tell her it's for her then!  

That's too bad about the PMC but thanks for the heads up.

Over the weekend the Mrs. shot it at a local pistol competition and was nailing a small (8") steel plate at 30 yds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield is coming out with a version of this in .40 this summer aren't they?  I wonder how manageable that will be in a small gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha, my first tacked thread!

I haven't hit the range with the EMP recently, so I haven't further shot it.  I did run well the last couple range sessions, so I think the extractor was the problem.  

After I get moved into my house and get that sorted, I'll have to hit the range a few times, or some IDPA matches.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By pwest:
Springfield is coming out with a version of this in .40 this summer aren't they?  I wonder how manageable that will be in a small gun.

Anyone had a chance to shoot a prototype version of the .40?  I am interested in a small 1911 type gun with the intermediate cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 1:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4MikelA3] [#18]
I am really glad your emp(s) is now running.

However, based on the progression this thread went through, I am positive I won't be buying one anytime soon. This pleases my wife.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 12:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firetoad] [#19]
Recently, I finally decided to get my CCW license.  So, a good, concealable firearm was in order.  One of the issues I would have to overcome is that I have monster paws as part of my 240+ lb, 6'5" frame, so big guns are my friends:  G21 with Handall Grip, G17 with Handall Grip, etc.  So, I was really attracted to the Taurus PT145:  true double action, 10 rounds of .45 ACP, etc.  But, big guns (and Glocks, the PT145, etc. are thick) don't conceal as easily as thin guns.  After thinking about it, I decided to look at a 1911 style pistol, could be big but thin.  I went to the local shop with the intentions of picking up a Para LDA carry sized gun.  But, then it happened, the clerk put an EMP into my hands.  I was there another hour but had pretty much set my mind to the fact that the EMP was it for me as soon as I handled it.  For me, even with big hands, the EMP felt very comfortable and the fit was great.  I was a little hesitant with the early reports that had come out about feeding reliability, but this is a 5,### serialed gun and hoped that all of the bugs were worked out.Fast forward one day and after disassembling and cleaning the gun (and man was it dirty from the factory test firing!), I tried running a few freshly topped mags through the gun by manually cycling the slide.  After a mag or two of manually cycling hollowpoints, I started getting the infamous nosedive of the top round resulting in a failure to feed by stopping on the steep, steep ramp.  My first thoughts were, oh great, spend all of this money and this is what I get!  I decided to just put it away for the night and take it to the range to see what it will do.Fast forward two nights and to the range I go.  Needless to say, 100 rounds of WWB, a number of Winchester SXZ training rounds and a fair number of Winchester SXZ hollowpoints later, I was very pleased.  Not a single FTE or FTF (feed or fire).  I did have a the slide go home on an empty mag several times, but that started becoming less frequent as I progressed.  Was the pistol perfect?  No, due to the slide not reliably locking back.  But, feeding and firing was flawless.  Was I pleased with the pistol?  Yes!  Accuracy of the pistol far exceeds accuracy of me.  Double-taps were very easy for me with this pistol.  Recoil was very, very manageable.  Should I have paid less for the pistol?  I would have liked to and the wife says yes, but I am happy with the purchase and don't regret it.  Do I recommend it, yes!  While you would like something that costs this much to be perfect, the world is far from that.  I am not saying I like it or accept it, but for the sake of sanity, I have chosen to live with it (this is in reference to the slide not locking back, not the OP's maddening experience, that is a different situation).  As far as reliability for carry, I feel very good about that.  Besides, if I am reloading an empty gun in a defensive situation, I have worse things to worry about than having the slide lock back.  If it goes bang every time through the magazine, I am happy and this is exactly what this gun does for me!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't own an EMP but I just wanted to chime in about Springfield's customer service.

I think they do a great job and I have dealt with them with a Springfield Loaded 1911 model I bought in late 2004.  

Had multiple issues including FTE, stovepiping, FTF, etc. The sights were the wrong height so I was quite a bit off even up close.  I was pretty unhappy with the pistol out of the box.

Called once and they said hey, maybe it needs broken in.  600 rounds later she was still buggered and that was with a lot of different magazines and ammo being used.

So they issued me a RMA number and I paid for the shipping to them but they asked me to leave a receipt in the box for it so they could reimburse me.  

Two weeks later I called to see how things were going and surprisingly they were ready to send it back.  Pistol felt much different.  Better slide to frame fit, better trigger (they replaced the sear), new safety, changed sights, trigger was now a nice 4.5lbs.  

The pistol has been 100% since and I received a check not long after the pistol to pay for my shipping.  While I was unhappy it didn't work out of the box I was really happy with how I was treated by SA.  I will continue to be loyal to them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I just picked an EMP 9 up yesterday. Took it to the range and found it shooting low left (7 - 8 inches at 25 ft).

Looked over the gun and noticed the rear sight all of the way to the left.

Unbelievable for a new gun. I can't adjust it.

It's going back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up my new EMP this afternoon.  This is my first 1911 but not my last. I bought it for it's concealability and its fits nicely.  I was considering the new Walther PPS he.  Something inside told me to save up for the EMP and I'm glad I did.  I fired 250 rounds of Speer Lawman 115gr, 13 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr, and 50 rounds of WWB 115gr.   No malfunctions.  I hope this stays consistent.  

At 10 yards, I managed to get a 2" group when I took my time. About 4" groups of controlled pairs at 7 yards from the draw.  Wow!  I've been through H&Ks, Glocks, and a Kahr PM9 and I admit their triggers suck when compared to a 1911.  My next handgun will be a 1911 in it's original flavor - .45.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfg508899] [#24]
Im looking at picking up an emp. Has anyone here changed out there recoil springs yet, and what round count was it at? Because i think that on the 3 inch 1911 types, the recoil springs are suppose to be changed rather often like every 500 rds. Im just curious as to what the replacement springs cost? also has anyone tried to put a plastic buffer in an emp yet? thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bfg508899:
Im looking at picking up an emp. Has anyone here changed out there recoil springs yet, and what round count was it at? Because i think that on the 3 inch 1911 types, the recoil springs are suppose to be changed rather often like every 500 rds. Im just curious as to what the replacement springs cost? also has anyone tried to put a plastic buffer in an emp yet? thanks

I'm curious about spring replacement as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By A_Senna:

I'm curious about spring replacement as well.

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I am very curious to know what kind of holsters you EMP owners are running.  I prefer an inside the waistband, but have not used one with my EMP yet, preferring my 5.11 concealment t-shirt instead for the time being.

Where to start here, Galco, H.B.E., ?...
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By O_DubhGhaill:
I am very curious to know what kind of holsters you EMP owners are running.  I prefer an inside the waistband, but have not used one with my EMP yet, preferring my 5.11 concealment t-shirt instead for the time being.

I use the Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB with my EMP. It is very comfortable and works great. My EMP is a great shooter and 100% reliable. She goes with me every day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Well im up around 500 rnds now on my emp 61xx range. I havent had any issues in the last 200 or so rounds so its looking promising. I am still usure about when to replace the recoil springs at though?
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Well im up around 500 rnds now on my emp 61xx range. I havent had any issues in the last 200 or so rounds so its looking promising. I am still usure about when to replace the recoil springs at though?

IIRC spring changes for 3in 1911s are every 800-900 rounds, 1000 at the very latest.

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Foxnews_FTW:

IIRC spring changes for 3in 1911s are every 800-900 rounds, 1000 at the very latest.

Good to know, thanks.  Anyone have a line on a replacement spring supplier?  Springfield preferably?
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Micky80:
Originally Posted By O_DubhGhaill:

I use the Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB with my EMP. It is very comfortable and works great. My EMP is a great shooter and 100% reliable. She goes with me every day.

Thanks very much.  I have one on order and will decide if it's better than the Minotaur I have now.  If so, I will convert the Comptac to Browning Hi-Power kydex and be good to go for both.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:31:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SignManIam] [#33]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
I just had to do it... I wanted one, so I bought it, a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm.  Just got it home a little while ago, but haven't hit the range yet.  Looks GREAT.  I stripped it once, and all the fit and finish is great!

I'll get to the range probably on Sunday.  I'm going to strip it and clean it up, then lube the way I usually do 1911s (some RIG grease) and go blast at least 200 rounds.  Probably 300 for a good break-in.  

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img/800x600/a78c5ee1ce66f058ceb2cfa48751702b.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img/800x600/a591486d865ff5662afee4a989b8f4f5.jpg

The 1911 slide holster and leather mag pouch I already had will work fine for it, since the included kydex holster and mag pouch aren't really that good for concealment.  I'll probably look into getting a Versa Max 2 for it later on.  

It's a cute little bugger:)
How's the price do they charge you for just
half of a full size?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Well after reading this whole thread I went ahead and picked up a EMP yesterday. I'm headed to the range today and will give a range report when I return. I will test it with Blazer, WWB, and some Fioechi. I know that's spelled wrong
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok I just got back and I have good news it works . I found that it likes hotter ammo than the CCI Blazer stuff. It shoots the CCI stuff fine but you must ensure that you keep your shooting arm locked and don't limp wrist it. With the other types of ammo it tended to be more forgiving with the locking of the elbow. I fired a total of 400 rounds today of the mixed ammo. The only stovepipes or failures to lock back were with the CCI. Once I ensured my elbow was locked I had no further issues and fired an additional 50 rounds of the CCI to be sure. Additionally I shot 1 mag of hydra shocks that ran flawlessly. I think due to the small size of the slide that locking your arm is more important than with my other 1911.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 9:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#36]
This post is very informative. I got mine today. Will be shooting it this week. I took it out of the box and polished the ramp and top of the chamber. I hand cycled some 124gr and 147gr HP to see if any would jam. The one I got came with 3 mags. This weapon looks great and is well balanced. I'm sure that it will run great
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#37]
For those of you that have just bought a EMP what did you pay.   I have found one and they want full MSRP about $1329.00
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#38]
The 2 we have Wife $850 used and Daughter new $1,000. For 13 they need to keep it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 2:31:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Bought mine used for 750.00
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I want one but cant find one,ive searched all the fun shops from St.Lucie to Jupiter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]
McBrides in Austin had one for $1049 on Saturday. The girlfiend who was anti gun about two years ago and now carries a XD Sub now wants an EMP.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone have the EMP in .40? Comments?
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kujo:
Does anyone have the EMP in .40? Comments?

I am interested in this as well.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#45]
As long as you can hit center mass, that's all that matters.  :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 5:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CombatMP] [#46]
not sure if this has beendiscussed yet, but I want to change the ambi safety to a single sided one. Does a regualar 1911 style safety fit on the EMP?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Ive considered/am considering one. I like 9mm so much its just the logical choice
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#48]
So, I purchased a new EMP 9mm in July.  I have taken it out to the range several times and it did great with all sorts of cheap FMJ ammo.  This weekend I decided to try it out with hollow points (which I should have done earlier, but I wanted to get a good supply before I shot up what I had).  Well, both types I tried would cause malfunctions by getting stuck on the feed ramp.  I used Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Personal Protection.  I know 1911's love ball ammo and that many 45 acp 1911 owners will use ball ammo for the increased reliability.  However, I do not want to do that with a 9mm.  Anyone else having this issue?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I use the Hornaday Personal Protection ammo without issue. I has a red plastic insert.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I have not been able to get any of that for 9mm in my area, I have it in 380 auto for my Ruger LCP and it works great.  If a (thousand dollar) pistol can't cycle Gold Dot, there is something wrong.  My local gun shop told me to send it back to Springfield, I will keep ya'll updated on how it turns out.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top