Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 12:06:34 PM EDT
I just got back from a 4 day pistol course at FrontSight. In my class of 40, a solid 25% of the pistols were XD’s. Not one stoppage, failure to fire, etc. etc. from a XD. There were several malfunctions daily but they were all from pistols with decockers, etc. and 1911s.

The guy that won the shoot off and graduated with a 90%+ score was using an XD. As well as the runner up.

I’ve had my XD for approx. 10 years, never had a problem with mine. I have read many many reports (from non XD onwers) stating every class they take there is at least one XD failure. Fanboy BS or statistical anomaly in my class?

I wanted to do a little endurance test so I showed up to the class with 300-400 rnds without cleaning. After another 400 or so, my trigger reset stated getting sticky. A few drops of oil on the trigger and the gun jumped back into action.

Another note: Half the ammo I could find was aluminum cased. Shot fine but don’t use it for malfunction drills. The cases are soft and dent easily.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You are a liar!   Everyone knows that XD's suck and if you're not shooting a Glock your already dead on the street!

My XD-40 has nearly 40K through it.

Even when the locking block cracked at about 6000rds it kept running.  I shot two USPSA match including a sectional match with the cracked block.  My XD-40 was a very early ones (2005) of the 40S&W and many had this locking block issue.  SA replaced the locking block with a new version for free and had the gun back to me in eight days.  The only part related stoppage I have had was with two after market parts.  Broke a trigger bar (early Bob Hostetter prototype) and trigger return spring.  All in all my XD-40's have treated me very nicely and I have run them hard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah there's nothing wrong with XD's, they are just as reliable as Glock's and M&P's. But I'm not a huge fan of the grip safety. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own an XD but i've taken quite a few high round count classes... the only pistol that i've ever seen completely fail halfway through the first day is a Taurus.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have taken my XD-9 to many training courses and I have seen other XDs of all size and caliber at training courses and have never seen them fail. My personal XD-9 has over 6,000 rounds through it and has been in mud and water. It has never failed me, period.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This is encouraging.   Just set mine up for HD duty.  It's old too.  Doesn't have too many rounds through it.  But it's never had malf so far......

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is encouraging.   Just set mine up for HD duty.  It's old too.  Doesn't have too many rounds through it.  But it's never had malf so far......

http://i.imgur.com/4jsZG1U.jpg
View Quote
Are you using those rubber bands to Old School "pin" your grip safety?  I saw where someone was making an "extended" grip safety that requires almost no pressure to activate....Never really had an issue with mine but then I've shot 1911's for 20 years. Didn't seem like a bad idea though as so many "add ons" for guns are....gimmicks...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
For some reason there is a certain segment of the "training industry" and "serious shooter" community that don't care for the XD.

Most, if you push them will cite the grip safety as unneeded, the roll pins breaking or the fact that the grip safety must be depressed to run the slide as serious defects. Quite honestly, I don't see it, my guns have all run quite well and every gun has some quirk that you have to train or accessorize around. I just did the "roll pin" fix on all my guns and it cost me about as much as a nice lunch, big deal.

The XD is probably not as popular now as it was say 6-8 years ago. There are many new guns on the market now and it doesn't have any marketing zing behind it- "Gun of the Navy Seals Death Squad" etc...... I have sold 4 Xds myself over the last few years..... I still have 3 .45's and two 9's. They are good guns and won't be going anywhere anytime soon though maybe not my go to guns. The biggest advantage I saw immediately to the XD is what a great pistol it is in .45. The trigger reach is excellent for those of use with smaller hands and the 13 round magazine is a real bonus. I don't think anyone else has come close to perfecting that combination of high capacity and trigger reach in a polymer .45.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Glocks, an M&P, and XDs.

Each one is reliable, but each fits the hand differently. Get the one that fits best. Then, train.

The XD has had more differences from model to model than the other two designs.

The XD is the only polymer design that seems capable of winning the P100 at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Each one is reliable, but each fits the hand differently. Get the one that fits best. Then, train.

The XD is the only polymer design that seems capable of winning the P100 at Camp Perry.
View Quote
Really? I had no idea, not something I follow. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you using those rubber bands to Old School "pin" your grip safety?  I saw where someone was making an "extended" grip safety that requires almost no pressure to activate....Never really had an issue with mine but then I've shot 1911's for 20 years. Didn't seem like a bad idea though as so many "add ons" for guns are....gimmicks...
View Quote
It's not covering it up now.....  So no.  Just some extra grip for my support hand.  Have to see if Talon makes grips for it.  But I hate the way they look.  Cuz the rubberband looks so much better.  LOL.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's not covering it up now.....  So no.  Just some extra grip for my support hand.  Have to see if Talon makes grips for it.  But I hate the way they look.  Cuz the rubberband looks so much better.  LOL.
View Quote
Try a 1.5"-2" piece of bicycle innertube.  A $10 innertube will outfit many pistols.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never tried that mod but heard about it many times.  That thought hit me this morning too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Have had mine since 2007? Whenever they came out with the .45acp. Anyways, it has been completely flawless for me. Now currently servicing tirelessly as my HD Nightstand Gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Love my XD 9mm. Haters gonna hate...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I only have about 400 rds through my mod 2 9mm so far but it has not malfunctioned once.

I want to hate it or change to another pistol in light of recent events but the functionality is too great for a utilitarian like myself to get rid of.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My XDMs fed/chambered/fired/ejected every round I ever loaded into a magazine.  FMJ, hollow points, and lead.  115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain.

I parked mine for other reasons.  But if I had to pull "retired" pistols from the safe for use, the XDMs would be right there getting loaded magazines stuffed into them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Its because Front Sight gives them away........

https://www.frontsight.com/free-gun-faq.asp?

But really, Ive had 3 of the XD 9 and certainly not a bad pistol at all.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
S&A XD's .
The guns Glocks strive to be...
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Nothing wrong with XD's. I just never cared for the look of the original xd. I own two xdm's however.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I like to relay this true story. Wife bought a XD to shoot weekly when she got together with her friends. They were taking a course at an indoor range. They were going to be taught to strip and clean their firearms. A year and a half later she tells me something is wrong with it. I asked does it jam, answer no, well whats happening. She tells me it gets her hands dirty. Come to find out she put about 4000 rounds thru it never been oiled or cleaned. She told me it never has jammed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You are a liar!   Everyone knows that XD's suck and if you're not shooting a Glock your already dead on the street!

My XD-40 has nearly 40K through it.

http://i.imgur.com/dzmXxlx.jpg

Even when the locking block cracked at about 6000rds it kept running.  I shot two USPSA match including a sectional match with the cracked block.  My XD-40 was a very early ones (2005) of the 40S&W and many had this locking block issue.  SA replaced the locking block with a new version for free and had the gun back to me in eight days.  The only part related stoppage I have had was with two after market parts.  Broke a trigger bar (early Bob Hostetter prototype) and trigger return spring.  All in all my XD-40's have treated me very nicely and I have run them hard.
View Quote
Good to hear from you all that throw more than average # of rounds down the pipe. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing wrong with the HS2000........oops, I meant the XD series.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I have had my xd9 since 2009. Probably have fed close to 20k through it. Not a damn malfunction until a couple of months ago. The slide is not locking back on roughly every 4th to 5th empty mag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a XD9 never had a issue, will admit I don't run it hard but never a issue none the less.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have had my xd9 since 2009. Probably have fed close to 20k through it. Not a damn malfunction until a couple of months ago. The slide is not locking back on roughly every 4th to 5th empty mag.
View Quote
Check your grip. I changed mine a few years ago and now my finger rides on the XD slide release.  I get roughly a 50% non-lock rate.

Other thing to check is your mag springs. Are your mags marked?  If not, mark them and check to see if it's not the same one that's not locking back consistently.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah there's nothing wrong with XD's, they are just as reliable as Glock's and M&P's. But I'm not a huge fan of the grip safety. 
View Quote
Yeah - I agree with this.  In my opinion most of the striker fired guns are pretty much the same, I stick with Glocks because I am used to them and have a gazillion mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
What?!?!?!   I haven't been to Perry shooting since 2008, please post some results showing shooters with XDs in the P100 or near it.   XDs will reliably place ten shots in a row into a 3" circle at 50 yards?   Are you just bullshitting?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the XD as well. I have an XD-40 Service model and an XD-9 Sub Compact, both are very accurate and dependable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I have owned XD .40, .357sig and 9mm SC.  I own a XDM and a XDS. Never have had a issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#30]
That is so cool. Too bad they try to back door you with gun laws designed to make them money
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That is so cool. Too bad they try to back door you with gun laws designed to make them money
View Quote
Go back to GD.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What?!?!?!   I haven't been to Perry shooting since 2008, please post some results showing shooters with XDs in the P100 or near it.   XDs will reliably place ten shots in a row into a 3" circle at 50 yards?   Are you just bullshitting?
View Quote
Adam Sokolowski has an XD with a fit barrel. He placed very near the top like always.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I have never like the looks of the original XD and something else that gets very often overlooked in a combat style handgun...BALANCE

It has a very odd and off balance to me in the hand and I have just never cared for it in many ways

The stories of unreliability from some makes it easier to not buy something I already don't like.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#34]
XD pistols are piece of shit. That's why I own a HS 2000.

Link Posted: 11/12/2017 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a very early XD9 after the switch from HS2000.

I also have another xd9, a xd357, and xds9.

They all run better than my m&p shields.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Adam Sokolowski has an XD with a fit barrel. He placed very near the top like always.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh.  Cool.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had three XDs thousands of rounds through all of them, tens of thousands through one... No issues. They are great.

As it turns out, Springfield sucks ass as a company, so I won't be buying any more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I had an HS2000 with no rail a long time ago. I had a pretty good stash of pre-ban Beretta 92 mags modded to work in it.

I put right at 10K rounds through it in two years and had one stovepipe that was weak round.  I gave it to a buddy of mine ten years ago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just got back from a 4 day pistol course at FrontSight. In my class of 40, a solid 25% of the pistols were XD’s. Not one stoppage, failure to fire, etc. etc. from a XD. There were several malfunctions daily but they were all from pistols with decockers, etc. and 1911s.

The guy that won the shoot off and graduated with a 90%+ score was using an XD. As well as the runner up.

I’ve had my XD for approx. 10 years, never had a problem with mine. I have read many many reports (from non XD onwers) stating every class they take there is at least one XD failure. Fanboy BS or statistical anomaly in my class?

I wanted to do a little endurance test so I showed up to the class with 300-400 rnds without cleaning. After another 400 or so, my trigger reset stated getting sticky. A few drops of oil on the trigger and the gun jumped back into action.

Another note: Half the ammo I could find was aluminum cased. Shot fine but don’t use it for malfunction drills. The cases are soft and dent easily.
View Quote
I got nothing against Xd but other than 1911s its the only thing i have seen choke in classes i took.  Also i suggest 800 rounds is no big deal. I actually really like XDM, but went glock because xd didn't make a 10mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top