Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2016 10:37:19 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these? I like the way this looks and it doesn't break the bank, I'm interested in picking one up
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It has been my daily carry for about three years now. Great shooter but a little limited on holster options.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing. any issues with reliability or accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been great. No issues with reliability except for an out of spec slide stop not locking back with some magazines (replaced it with a 10-8 performance, Wilson mags worked fine with original).
Accuracy is great, no complaints.
As mentioned, holsters can be harder to find, however, when shopping, also look for Kimber 4" railed 1911 holsters. Similar rail and same length, they usually work.
I carry mine in a Comp-Tac Infidel holster. I use the 1911 slide kydex that I heated up with a hair dryer and molded around the Operators rail to fit. I did the same to use the holster with a Sig Scorpion.
I also have a Raven Concealment OWB kydex holster for use with a light.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to be an a$$ but if there were any issues with either, it wouldn't be my carry gun. Mine has been flawless since I had it. The bull barrel makes it a very soft shooter so it gets shot a lot. The only part I have replaced is the guide rod assembly. I replaced the stock one with a non captured flatwire setup from Wilson.

I currently carry mine in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. I also ordered a holster from Bravo Concealment so I can carry it with a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]

I love it, great gun. It's my daily carry in a custom Milt Sparks VM2. shoots great and while I haven't put many rounds down range with it, I haven't had any malfunctions at all. Great guns.

Im hesitant to post this, OP, so feel free to ignore, but I'm actually thinking about selling mine to consolidate calibers to 9mm. if you're open to a used one shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to be an a$$ but if there were any issues with either, it wouldn't be my carry gun. Mine has been flawless since I had it. The bull barrel makes it a very soft shooter so it gets shot a lot. The only part I have replaced is the guide rod assembly. I replaced the stock one with a non captured flatwire setup from Wilson.

I currently carry mine in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0. I also ordered a holster from Bravo Concealment so I can carry it with a TLR-1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hijack, but what all parts did you replace to get rid of the captured spring guide rod? Was there any fitting required? I've got a GI champion I've been wanting to do this to.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry to hijack, but what all parts did you replace to get rid of the captured spring guide rod? Was there any fitting required? I've got a GI champion I've been wanting to do this to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was unsure of what parts to get since Wilson's website says that their 4" kit will not work with Springfield or Colt, so I asked their tech support and was told that the kit would actually work. All you have to do is use the stock reverse plug instead of the one that comes with the kit. So I order this...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-4-Compact-_-Professional-45-ACP-Chrome-Silicon-22-Lb/productinfo/651/

I installed and tested the kit with my handloads and it worked perfectly.

My only concern is that cosmetically it doesn't really look the best since there is now a hole in the end of recoil assembly. Though if you are staring at that end of the gun, I'm guessing the larger hole above is more of a concern.

Crappy iPotato pic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope you enjoy your new SA LWCO as much as I did.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one I picked up in a trade about a year back. It wears the Surefire XC1 light. I did have a few issues with it but nothing that was not easily fixed. (I have no idea how many rounds the previous owner put through it)

At first it had extraction issues about ever 10th round or so, casing would be stuck in the chamber and it would try to load a new one. Did this with all ammo. Narrowed it down to a worn out extractor, hardly had any tension. Instead of buying the extractor adjuster tool I decided to be Macgyver and made my own adjustment jig with a bench vice, 3 allen keys, and duct tape. Slowly gave it some more bend until it fit snugly. There are some youtube videos on adjusting extractor tension. Could of just been mine, but nonetheless since you asked. I've had a few hundred rounds through it since without a single issue.

The second issue it had was not the LWCs fault, just design issues with 1911. It would not feed hornady critical duty or critical defense ammo. Ever 3rd round or so it would fail to load, the rubber tip would get stuck on the steep feed ramp. This was resolved with a light polish of the feed ramp and switching out the shitty stock mags for Wilson Combat ETM mags. I've fired hundreds of the hornady since then without issue. Those Wilson mags are the only thing I will now run in my 1911's with any self defense ammo.

For holsters, yes, it is a bitch to find them. I don't EDC the 1911 so no idea on IWB holsters. When I use it I run the RTI system for my "war belt". An awesome place to deal with is KT-Mech (http://www.kt-mech.com/) They can make the holster for you in any of their styles. Just use the 1911 R Springfield as the pistol and then shoot them an email with your order number to let them know you have the 4" barrel version. They will cut the holster down and refinish the edges so you cant 'even tell it was made with a 5" mold. They do excellent work. I have 4 of their Akela Duty holsters with RTI mounts and recommend them 110%. (they can also do that pistol with any of the popular light combos which I looked for many months and no one else does)

Here is a photo of the KT-Mech Akela Holsters for the LWC with XC1 light next to one for my XD45 with XC1

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have the Operator but a regular Champion in 9MM, one of the best buys I have made in a long time, easy shooting gun, accurate, very easy on the eyes, ammo is affordable, didn't break the bank, bought it during the last gear up promo which made it even better, wouldn't mind one in 45.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I love it, great gun. It's my daily carry in a custom Milt Sparks VM2. shoots great and while I haven't put many rounds down range with it, I haven't had any malfunctions at all. Great guns.

Im hesitant to post this, OP, so feel free to ignore, but I'm actually thinking about selling mine to consolidate calibers to 9mm. if you're open to a used one shoot me an IM.
View Quote

I bet several of us are interested.  Put it on the EE so we all have a chance at it.  You know you are violating COC by your post.  

I bought a 9mm Kimber lightweight commander size and have been shooting the heck out of it.  I won't get rid of my .45s, but the 9mm 1911 is very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I bet several of us are interested.  Put it on the EE so we all have a chance at it.  You know you are violating COC by your post.  

I bought a 9mm Kimber lightweight commander size and have been shooting the heck out of it.  I won't get rid of my .45s, but the 9mm 1911 is very fun to shoot.
View Quote

Too late it's mine
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#13]
My SA Champion Operator is simply Awesome! Feels great in the hand, good balance and a laser to boot!

SA CO 10-8 by A B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I am also thinking about picking one up for EDC now in the very cold Miami winter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread is making me want a Champion in 45 more and more
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Duplicate post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Slightly different gun but I carried a stainless loaded champion for a few years that was a wonderful gun. I do miss it.

Without a doubt there's some nicer 1911s out there but SA makes a solid gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one. 600 or so rounds, no malfunctions of any type; I've used 10 different ammo brands/manufacturers HP and Ball to test. The LW Champion is now my favorite pistol of the bunch, just eek-ing out my much beloved EDC, my CZ P-01... It took the addition of some VZ Slim-line Alien grips to edge out the P-01 but... did that, it did. The LW carries better than the P-01 which is really saying something. The recoil of the LW compared to a Gov't I'd equate to, virtually the same. My LW trigger was hands down better by a pound out of the box over my "Loaded" was. After 600 rounds downrange in 2 weeks and another 1000 dry fire pulls... this trigger is near perfect. And the addition of the rail to add a TLR-1s in the afternoons is a very nice option for night time HD, taking the dog out at night, (Roswell GA, has an infestation of rabid coyote's currently, neighbor attacked recently), as it frees up a hand having the light attached. This is my first Commander. I don't see myself every purchasing another full size 1911 as I can see zero drawbacks to the LW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mine has been great. No issues with reliability except for an out of spec slide stop not locking back with some magazines (replaced it with a 10-8 performance, Wilson mags worked fine with original).
Accuracy is great, no complaints.
As mentioned, holsters can be harder to find, however, when shopping, also look for Kimber 4" railed 1911 holsters. Similar rail and same length, they usually work.
I carry mine in a Comp-Tac Infidel holster. I use the 1911 slide kydex that I heated up with a hair dryer and molded around the Operators rail to fit. I did the same to use the holster with a Sig Scorpion.
I also have a Raven Concealment OWB kydex holster for use with a light.
View Quote
I ordered from Comp-Tac, their "M-Tac" holster. The 1911 Operator Half Rail holster was recommended by the good people at Comp-Tac as a perfect fit for the LW Operator. I ordered it and they were right. This is one nicely fit hybrid holster that is very well made, comfortable, and superb retention. If you really wanted to you could unscrew the Kydex shell, and use a band saw or something comparable to cut down the shell an inch on the muzzle end... but I don't see the need as it doesn't hinder form or function or comfort. You'd be hard pressed to find a better holster for $85... I like the M-Tac so much I have ones dedicated to my P-01 and SP-01 as well for the carry rotation and IDPA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top