Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 8:58:50 PM EDT
I picked up my brand spanking new XDm 4.5" 9mm today and I was at the range before the ink on my FFL transfer receipt dried.

I put 100 rounds through it without even pulling the slide off, and it was flawless. I ran the target out to 30 feet and started putting rounds downrange. With a little focus I managed the 15 shot group below.

" />

The gun shot absolutely amazingly. It is more accurate than I am, but it even makes me look like a halfway decent shooter (minus the flier where i pussed out and anticipated the recoil).

I brought it home and pulled the trigger apart to polish everything up and spray it with Hoppes dry lube.

My favorite thing about this pistol is that it feels damn close to my beloved 1911, except with 20 rounds.

It is currently wearing a Streamlight TLR3, loaded with HPs, and sitting at the ready on the bedside table.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Like my xdm but hate the stock trigger. Long and squishy
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For both of you.  Just wait until you install the Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Trigger on them!  You will never want to put it down!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Good shooting!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For both of you.  Just wait until you install the Powder River Precision Ultimate Match Trigger on them!  You will never want to put it down!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprisingly this trigger doesnt feel terrible to me. But next payday I might order myself a box of PRP bliss.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a bit of a Sig snob. That was until my buddy brought over his XDM competition. after shooting his,  I bought every member in my household a standard one in 9mm. I have the standard length and the compact. I put the Powder River kits in most of them. My wife wants to keep hers stock as the PRP trigger is too light for her. I put the standard drop in the rest and that is fine for me. I would not want any lighter of trigger for a carry gun.

My daughters can shoot quarters at 25' with these. I have not had any problems with them with the exception of light primer strikes occasionally on Winchester white box on one of my girl's guns. Didn't want to take a chance with this so I put the stock striker spring back in hers since it gets shot the most. It may have been just the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!  That pistol is on my buy list before the end of the year!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am a bit of a Sig snob. That was until my buddy brought over his XDM competition. after shooting his,  I bought every member in my household a standard one in 9mm. I have the standard length and the compact. I put the Powder River kits in most of them. My wife wants to keep hers stock as the PRP trigger is too light for her. I put the standard drop in the rest and that is fine for me. I would not want any lighter of trigger for a carry gun.

My daughters can shoot quarters at 25' with these. I have not had any problems with them with the exception of light primer strikes occasionally on Winchester white box on one of my girl's guns. Didn't want to take a chance with this so I put the stock striker spring back in hers since it gets shot the most. It may have been just the ammo.
View Quote

My birthday is in a couple weeks. I might buy myself a PRP trigger kit. Although the stock trigger is pretty nice. I took it apart, polished everything, and took a coil off the striker spring. Trigger is pretty nice now.

You dont regret the prp kit i take it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't regret it all. For a carry gun, I think the drop in trigger set they offer is perfect for me. I have not shot the lighter match trigger but the drop in will surprise you at times. Especially if you have been shooting other guns.

The trigger on one of my compacts was pretty nice from the factory. I did not change it as I was ok with it stock.
The others had too much travel for me. The creep would drive me and my girls crazy.

Wife likes creep. That's why she married me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Odds are it's the ammo.

Hard primers in Winchester white box are not uncommon.  The case that made me write off that ammo had close to 10% FTFs all with what looked like soft strikes.  Never had a problem using anything else.  From my notes covering about 9000 rounds fired, *all* FTFs that specific pistol ever had (XDm 4.5 with a prp trigger kit, polished striker, and a few other small parts) were when using that ammo and more specifically *that* case so I feel pretty good about blaming the ammo here.

I still have over 500 left which I occasionally bust out for failure drills.

Ugh.

- Chris
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Definitely considering this as my next pistol purchase. Think you've sealed the deal. I've been very happy with my 3.8 compact.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Definitely considering this as my next pistol purchase. Think you've sealed the deal. I've been very happy with my 3.8 compact.
View Quote

^^^  What I carry every day ^^^  Never let me down yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect size gun in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a PRP drop in kit installed today and it was a definite improvement.

Truth be told, the stock trigger wasn't that bad at all. I paid 100 from Brownells and the trigger was well worth it, however it is not THAT much better than the stock trigger polished up. A little less travel, but not night and day.

Springfield (or the Croatian folks) did well on the stock trigger. There is a little less take up on the PRP trigger but it's not a tremendous difference like I expected.

I still think this is a damn good gun. High capacity, good trigger, and accurate as all hell. I carried it to dinner in a cheap blackhawk holster and it carries better than my officer model 1911. It's a perfect winter gun, road trip gun, or Craigslist gun. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice shooting, good looking gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^!!! Add a springer fire pin spring and you'll have every bit the reliability of a glock. I'd suggest using the competition trigger spring with the springer as it adds weight to the trigger pull. Made a world of difference for me and the old lady's xd mod 2 9mm.

This is my set up in my 3.8" 45acp go to pistol for everything but IWB carry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
She's sexy.  Love the two tone. I carry a full size xdm 3.8 daily and Iove it.  They are known to be extremely accurate, and I haven't had a malfunction yet after 1500 rds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
She's sexy.  Love the two tone. I carry a full size xdm 3.8 daily and Iove it.  They are known to be extremely accurate, and I haven't had a malfunction yet after 1500 rds.
View Quote

I have probably 2-2.5 K through mine with zero malfunctions either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Odds are it's the ammo.

Hard primers in Winchester white box are not uncommon.  The case that made me write off that ammo had close to 10% FTFs all with what looked like soft strikes.  Never had a problem using anything else.  From my notes covering about 9000 rounds fired, *all* FTFs that specific pistol ever had (XDm 4.5 with a prp trigger kit, polished striker, and a few other small parts) were when using that ammo and more specifically *that* case so I feel pretty good about blaming the ammo here.

I still have over 500 left which I occasionally bust out for failure drills.

Ugh.

- Chris
View Quote

Kind of an old post now, I know, but I thought this was interesting.

I don't have an XDM, but I have used the PRP drop in trigger kit for the XD Mod 2, and I'm guessing overall the XDM and XD Mod 2 kits are pretty similar.

I remember my kit came with two sets of springs--the "competition" ones were marked in blue. I never bothered to try the lighter blue springs, because the regular "reduced power" springs in my opinion made the trigger light enough as it is (I could barely even feel a "wall" anymore when the slack was taken out of the trigger).

I mention all of this because I was concerned that there might be reliability issues/light primer strikes with ZQI or Winchester 9mm NATO ammo with the reduced power springs, and not once did I have any malfunction whatsoever with that ammo (or any ammo) using them. It would seem unusual to me that Winchester White Box would cause light strikes in an XDM with a PRP kit, but maybe if the lightest springs were used that might have been enough to cause them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top