Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 12:25:16 PM EDT
I currently carry a Springfield XD(M) compact .45ACP. I like it but it is a bit too big sometimes, especially for the amount of rounds you get in the mag + chamber.

I was looking at maybe switching over to a 9mm. I did a comparison chart finding that even though the grip and the length are a bit smaller than the .45, it is an oz heavier? I also looked at the sub compact, but the smaller barrel concerns me at 25 yards.

I have relatively big hands, so the smaller grip concerns me as well.

Anybody have any experience in this caliber/model?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the XDM compact 9mm.  My very favorite carry pistol!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Everybody makes fun of the "grip zone" on the Mod 2 but for me it is the most comfortable grip of any gun I have handled.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up the XD subcompact 9 and have no issues shooting with it. I've got big hands as well and my typical daily carry is an XD45 Service or occasionally my XDm9.

It doesn't take very long to get to used to shooting with the smaller grip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up the XD subcompact 9 and have no issues shooting with it. I've got big hands as well and my typical daily carry is an XD45 Service or occasionally my XDm9.

View Quote

How much of a difference is there between the sub compact and the xdm compact?

Length looks like a half an inch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel or grip?

Grips are both 4.6" with the flush mags.

The compact's barrel is 3.8 and the subcompact is 3".

If youre worried about the loss in velocity with the shorter barrel, for a carry gun, I wouldnt be too concerned.

With modern jhp, youre not losing much if any within 15 yards. You shoot someone out on the street much farther than that, then you will probably have some serious explaining to do.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Barrel or grip?

If youre worried about the loss in velocity with the shorter barrel, for a carry gun, I wouldnt be too concerned.

With modern jhp, youre not losing much if any within 15 yards. You shoot someone out on the street much farther than that, then you will probably have some serious explaining to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel or grip?

Quals for me is 25 yards, 12 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel or grip?

You're splitting hairs.

Just pick up a g19, or a cheap sdve, and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have any issues with the grip while carrying?  Some people say it's like sandpaper on their skin.

I don't remember if I even feel the grip when I carry on my current gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The 1st generation (not mod 2) xd9 sub's grips are not very aggressive at all. That said, I carry that as well as the xds that has a very aggressive grip and don't notice it rubbing.

You can always slip on a Talon grip.

If it doesn't have to be a Springfield, this Sig seems to have the features (longer barrel/12+/little lighter) youre looking for:

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/sig-sauer-p250-subcompact

P320.

Or maybe even the MP 9c.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have any issues with the grip while carrying?  Some people say it's like sandpaper on their skin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The XD models grips are smooth so unless you add any grip materials they don't tear up your skin. The Xds, Xdm grips are pretty aggressive and depending on your sensitivity may be rough.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The XD models grips are smooth so unless you add any grip materials they don't tear up your skin. The Xds, Xdm grips are pretty aggressive and depending on your sensitivity may be rough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry the xdm with no problem.  The mod.2 looks a bit more rough tho.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Do not look, go check one out.  The XDm grip is way rougher than the Mod.2 grip is. While not exactly smooth, there really is not much texture there at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do not look, go check one out.  The XDm grip is way rougher than the Mod.2 grip is. While not exactly smooth, there really is not much texture there at all.
View Quote

How is the trigger on the mod 2 vs the xdm?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The relatively similar sight radius glock 26 does me fine at 25 yards so while a shorter sight radius means you need to be extra careful with sights and trigger , if you are up to the task not a worry
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Went to a local gun shop to get a feel of how the grip is.

I like it.  Its not as rough as i thought it was going to be.

Not a fan of the single stack grip.  That was too blocky.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#16]
For some reason I did not see that this had been updated.  

I have not found any significant difference between XD versions of the triggers (XD, mod.2, XDm).  I do not know how the single stack models compare as I have only owned and shot the full size grip models.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For some reason I did not see that this had been updated.  

I have not found any significant difference between XD versions of the triggers (XD, mod.2, XDm).  I do not know how the single stack models compare as I have only owned and shot the full size grip models.
View Quote

I haven't shot the single stack, but a friend of mine has shot my XDm and the XDs and found the trigger on the XDm to be the best he has ever shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top