Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting an extended grip safety, can I just remove the pin and swap it out, or do I have to remove other parts also?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I did not even know that extended versions were available.

I have an XD-9SC with a stainless slide that I love.

The first time I fired an XD at the range (not mine, but a rental gun I was testing), midway through the first string, I squeezed the trigger and...nothing.

I actually thought there was a breakage or malfunction for a minute.

Nope.

The gun was functioning exactly as designed - the web of my thumb had backed off the grip safety just enough for it to engage.

I was not new to grip safeties, as I have owned several 1911s in my time.

Now, I always make sure I push my thumb very far forward with this gun, to ensure positive disengagement of the GS.

Sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but you get a free thread bump at least.

Tag for my own curiosity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you want an extended grip safety? The grip safety on the xd series of pistols is hard to reinstall and you would have to take apart the entire lower half of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you want an extended grip safety? The grip safety on the xd series of pistols is hard to reinstall and you would have to take apart the entire lower half of the gun.
View Quote

I've installed the drop in trigger kit from Powder River Precision, that was easy. I called Powder River and was told that the sear, stricker safety lever and ejector need to be removed, in order to install the new grip safety. I'll be doing this tomorrow when the grip safety arrives.
As to why, I like the positive feel it gives me on my .45 cs 1911 pistols. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've installed the drop in trigger kit from Powder River Precision, that was easy. I called Powder River and was told that the sear, stricker safety lever and ejector need to be removed, in order to install the new grip safety. I'll be doing this tomorrow when the grip safety arrives.
As to why, I like the positive feel it gives me on my .45 cs 1911 pistols. YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then by all means go ahead and post pics! I want to check it out!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Collin545, I tried to install the safety but after putting it on and off 3x, I gave up and reinstalled the original. It's dragging somewhere and I think the sear is involved. So I honed the shelf of the safety but didn't want to go too far.
I think I'll take it to a real gunsmith to install it for me. Sorry, no pics, but the safety is made very well and looks good!! That extra "hump" on it does insure that if you don't grip it optimally it will still allow the gun to fire.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Any updates and pics ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any updates and pics ?
View Quote

Sort of an up date, still haven't installed the new grip safety, but with the new site upgrade I'll post pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I installed a powder river drop in trigger, ejector, springs, new pins, and trijicon sights.
The trigger up grade has reduced take up by over half and the reset was about half travel as well. The pins, I went with stainless steel just because. The ejector is beefier than the original. Over all I'm happy with the upgrades. OH!! I forgot, I bought the grip tape powder river sells and made my own "grip zone"!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sort of an up date, still haven't installed the new grip safety, but with the new site upgrade I'll post pics.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-1645-100443.JPG

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-1644-100444.JPG

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-1646-100445.JPG

I installed a powder river drop in trigger, ejector, springs, new pins, and trijicon sights.
The trigger up grade has reduced take up by over half and the reset was about half travel as well. The pins, I went with stainless steel just because. The ejector is beefier than the original. Over all I'm happy with the upgrades. OH!! I forgot, I bought the grip tape powder river sells and made my own "grip zone"!!
View Quote

Awesome, now practice and get some training from a professional firearms instructor. Most importantly just shoot the crap out of it and practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top