Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 3:55:09 PM EDT
How do they do?  I have a XD .45 "Tactical" 5"er.  In FDE or whatever they called it.  It's a good shooter and I'm thinking of making it one of my HD guns.  It has never malf'd for me, but I don't have a ton of rounds through it.  It shoots well and has always seemed like it had good accuracy.  Never benched it though.  

Just curious if these guns are reliable and trustworthy.  I remember early on people talking about how they had a fragile part....  Or something, but now I don't know what that was all about.  

I sanded down the take down lever on the edges because it beats up my thumb a little bit.  LOL.  The edges were sharp on that thing.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Striker retainer pin, replace it with a heavy duty one if you'd like. I've had mine for 10 years now with no issues whatsoever. I have the heavy duty pins but haven't installed one yet
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Striker retainer pin, replace it with a heavy duty one if you'd like. I've had mine for 10 years now with no issues whatsoever. I have the heavy duty pins but haven't installed one yet
View Quote

Yep, I replaced mine with an upgraded one from  Powder River Precision.  If you do this, it won't hurt to clean any crud from the striker chamber while you're in there.  Leave the chamber dry.

Oh, and be careful when you remove the locking plate, lest the striker spring and spring guide go flying across the room.  Er, or so I've heard.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had my XD45 for about ten years. I quit counting rounds after 6k. I have run almost all 230 grain and a lot of +P. No issues that weren't ammo related. Or related to filthy magazines. They are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 10 yo XD40 that has seen somewhere between 25-30k rounds. Broke the trigger bar around the 20k mark. Only failure I have ever had with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep, I replaced mine with an upgraded one from  Powder River Precision.  If you do this, it won't hurt to clean any crud from the striker chamber while you're in there.  Leave the chamber dry.

Oh, and be careful when you remove the locking plate, lest the striker spring and spring guide go flying across the room.  Er, or so I've heard.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a whole bag full of the retainer pins and never had to replace mine. Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#6]

I have owned four XD's, XD-40 Tactical, XD-40 Service, XD-40 SubCompact and XD-45ACP Tactical.  I traded the XD-45ACP to fund a 627.  I still have and use the XD-40s.  The XD-40 Tactical above is approaching 40K rounds.  Lost exact tract back in the twenty-thousands.

The XD-40 Tactical is my USPSA Limited-10 gun and occasion 3-gun/multi-gun handgun.  It was bough in 2005 and had the early locking block in it.  The locking block cracked.  I noticed the block was cracking and kept shooting it anyway.  I put another 500+ rounds through it over the next two matches with the cracked block and it never failed to function.  Had a weekend off from matches so I sent it in for warranty repair.  SA fixed it free in 8-days door to door and  even reimbursed me the cost to ship it to them.  I had a trigger return spring brake once.  Call SA up and they sent me a new one free of change.  The only other failure was an aftermarket trigger bar I broke but that was not SA or the XD's fault.  I put a very early aftermarket trigger bar in it before the design was proven.  I am running a real light 14 lbs recoil spring in it so I am pretty religious about replacing those about ever 4000's rds.  That is just enough spring to hold the slide in battery against the striker spring so it does not take much loss in stiffness before out of battery problems will start popping up so I change it out before that can happen.

My XD-40 Service and XD-40 SubCompact both only have 5-10k on them.  I have had zero issue with them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an XD45 4in for about 10years now, shot thousands of rounds through it and never had an issue.  It is one of my HD guns.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep, I replaced mine with an upgraded one from  Powder River Precision.  If you do this, it won't hurt to clean any crud from the striker chamber while you're in there. Leave the chamber dry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I replaced mine with an upgraded one from  Powder River Precision.  If you do this, it won't hurt to clean any crud from the striker chamber while you're in there. Leave the chamber dry.

Yep I got lube in the striker channel in a glock once. When it got cold I was getting like primer strikes. Lubing firing pins is a bad idea!

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yep I got lube in the striker channel in a glock once. When it got cold I was getting like primer strikes. Lubing firing pins is a bad idea!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always lubricate the striker, not heavily but each time I clean it I put a few drops Gun Butter on the striker body and worked it into the striker channel.  Until here recently I lived in North East Ohio and have shot my fair share of matches in below freezing temperatures and never had a light strike issue even when I was running small rifle primers.  Letting that channel get rusty and then you will have light strikes.  Although rust is probably less of an issue since SA started FNC'ing the slides.  Mine is old enough to not be FNC'ed and so the rust issue is a real concern I have had to deal with.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a whole bag full of the retainer pins and never had to replace mine. Go figure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear.  I probably should have made it more clear that I replaced the pin as a preventative measure; my XD has never had any sort of failure.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Good info guys.  I started a thread in Handgun Discussions to get more input.  But I appreciate it here too.  I plan on shooting mine more.  Two guys over there said it won't feed 200 SWC's though.  Which is kind of a bummer.  But my stash is WWB 230 FMJ anyways.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My XD40 wouldn't feed Remington UMC 180 grains when it was new. Never tried them again in the XD but I've had so many issues with UMC I wrote it off completely
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My XD40 wouldn't feed Remington UMC 180 grains when it was new. Never tried them again in the XD but I've had so many issues with UMC I wrote it off completely
View Quote
That is weird when I got mine back in 2005 that is all I fed my two XD-40's until I got into reloading two years later.  I could get the 250rd packs at Gander Mountain for $46 (sometimes $41 with a coupon).

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Good info guys.  I started a thread in Handgun Discussions to get more input.  But I appreciate it here too.  I plan on shooting mine more.  Two guys over there said it won't feed 200 SWC's though.  Which is kind of a bummer.  But my stash is WWB 230 FMJ anyways.
View Quote

I would try it.  Some XD-45 had issues some do not.  My XD-45 would not feed them.  The empty case would just barely catches the shoulder of the SWC as the slide cycles back.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine will feed them probably 95% when I get everything right, it's very picky about COAL and powder charge with 200gr LSWCs. No real bother, 1911s gotta eat too.
Cast truncated cones and round nose bullets run just fine if want lead, TCs cut holes almost as well as SWCs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Never had an issue with mine. It saw many bulk packs of UMC.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe even with the striker retainer snapped in half the gun will still function. They say many people who have guns with damaged pins don't even know it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe even with the striker retainer snapped in half the gun will still function. They say many people who have guns with damaged pins don't even know it.
View Quote

A dead giveaway is the pin sticking up half way out of the slide.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
My XD45 Service is well over 5K rounds as well with no issues, Shoot mainly Missouri Bullet Company's XD#4 200 gr RN bullets. Also have shot several K of the Blue Bullet version in USPSA matches. Also run 185 XTP's, 230 FMJ's. The thing is dead nuts reliable and accurate.

My XDm9 pretty much sat on the table after I picked up the 45.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had my XD45 for about ten years. I quit counting rounds after 6k. I have run almost all 230 grain and a lot of +P. No issues that weren't ammo related. Or related to filthy magazines. They are good to go.
View Quote

Jeez and people say   Springfield isn't reliable compared to other brands.

I can believe that its reliable now.  6k rounds !  pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Not sure of exact round count on my 9mm V10, but its over 5k. No issues.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top