Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 12:42:54 AM EDT
I have a beautiful 5" XD tacticle in 45 acp that I would love to upgrade the trigger with a Powder River Precision aftermarket trigger upgrade. Im looking to get it's trigger to as smoth and light as is safe and practicle (read reduce as much as is reasonable) creap and over travel and still remain safe for use as a self defence firearm as well as ocasional use to compete in my local IDPA chapter. So accordingly I have but two questions

#1-Which PRP aftermarket upgrade kit do I need to buy and....

#2-How hard is it to perform such a upgrade? I am extreamly muchanically inclined and have a decent selection of tools for use in DIY gun smithing and have replaced numerous broken or badly worn parts on multiple firearms I own such as firing pins, ejectors and ejector spring just to name a few homw smithing jobs i have done succsessfully. I also know there are litterally dozens of how too videos on you tube so I wont be doing it totally blind.

Thanks,
Arthur.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I installed their Ultimate Match Trigger in my XDM 45.  Take up reduced a bunch, creep reduced by a bunch, break is lighter and crisp, short reset. Over travel is adjusted by you. This the best trigger I've felt in a plastic gun.

There are plenty of videos on You tube for installing. I watched the videos before doing anything so I knew what tools/crap I needed to do the task.  You will have to put the trigger in and out a few times until you get the over travel adjusted to your liking but after once or twice its a piece of cake.  
I'm glad I did the upgrades feel it was money well spent.  

I also put in a PRP in my XDs 9 and it too is great upgrade.  

Good luck.
Art
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to attempt the drop in trigger upgrade for an XD Mod 2 Service soon, I'll let you know how it goes...I've never installed an upgraded trigger in a pistol before.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Weekend Worrior,
I look forward to your report with much antisipation and greatly appreciate your offer to share yout rssults.Please include any videos you watched that proved the most helpfull as well as any must ahve tools you uses or wish you had.
Thanks and good luck
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have replaced two XDM triggers using the Powder River kits. I used the "drop in" kits and found them plenty light enough for anything I need. The change is worth it. The kit came with two sets of springs one being lighter than the other and identified with blue paint IIRC. I never used the lighter spring since the standard replacement met all the requirements I had.

I watched the video on the powder river website. I sat in front of my computer with the kit and gun and followed the video. I had to replay a section or two over to catch a few details to get things right but it was pretty easy. It reduced my trigger pull down to 3lbs per my trigger gauge. I'm not comfortable going any less for field carry or home protection. If you haven't shot your gun in awhile, the first shot may surprise you.

You mentioned you are mechanically inclined, you should not have any problems.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for your replies. Will give a trigger job to my XD a try. When I do will update then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all for your replies. Will give a trigger job to my XD a try. When I do will update then.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hello,

I just finished installing the XD Mod 2 Drop-In Trigger Kit for 4" (Service model) XD Mod 2 9mm pistol.  I guess I'll find out if I installed everything correctly tomorrow (or rather, today, which is now Sunday).  

Assuming I did everything correctly, overall it wasn't bad to do the install, considering I am one of the most clumsy and uncoordinated individuals you will ever meet, and my lighting for the room was not all that great.

The parts I had a bit of trouble with were the striker safety springs and related parts, and also figuring out that I had to get the slide stop to line up correctly in order to push the frame pins back in after the trigger and locking block were installed. I just used a 1.5 mm punch, a ball peen hammer and a small pick to guide some springs into place. Be CAREFUL disassembling the striker channel parts--those frigging things will LAUNCH across the room!!!

Here is the video I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-ycZ_XxMQ

FYI you may or may not know this, but although the install process for the drop in trigger is basically exactly the same for XD and XDM, I'm pretty sure my XD Mod 2 Service does NOT have the "disassembler transfer bar" that he references in the video around 6:35 in.

The reset is noticeably shorter and the trigger noticeably lighter in dry firing. I don't have a trigger pull gage so I can't measure the weight of pull unfortunately. As I said, I'll find out if I assembled everything right today at the range....
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Polish the sear before you install it.  Smooth smooth!  I did Ultimate Match on an XDM.  It rivals a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weekend Worrior,
I look forward to your report with much antisipation and greatly appreciate your offer to share yout rssults.Please include any videos you watched that proved the most helpfull as well as any must ahve tools you uses or wish you had.
Thanks and good luck
View Quote

Well,

I installed the Drop-In kit and was able to get the XD Mod 2 Service out to the range today to test it out. Apparently I installed it correctly, because throughout 7-16 round magazines, I didn't have a single issue at all. I shot mostly Winchester and ZQI 9mm NATO and a bit of that GECO 124 grain 9mm from Switzerland (I'm told it's pretty hot stuff comparable to the NATO ammo.) All ammo ignited and cycled as it should. I was a bit worried the gun might not like the harder primers on the 9mm NATO now that the springs were lighter, but so far, so good.  

The over travel stop on the back of the PRP trigger I think is a big help. I wish I had a trigger gauge to see exactly where the pull weight is now, but it's definitely a good deal lighter (though tolerances will vary from gun to gun of course) than it was out of the box. Much, much easier to snap fast shots off without worrying about short stroking the trigger or something like that.

I would have purchased and installed the Drop-In Kits on the older XD9s I had, but I figured now that SA upgraded the 5" Tactical to Mod 2 specs, I'll probably just wait to get one of those and install a Mod 2 PRP Drop- In kit for that instead, because the Mod 2 contours and texturing fit me better.

Definitely a worthy investment if you own a XD9 pistol and are looking for a trigger upgrade. You'll like it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top