Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2016 11:14:11 PM EDT
I am looking at purchasing a SA 1911 mil spec. I was wondering how you determine if the ejector is glued or pinned. I have owned a RIA tactical 1911 and it was just ok. Had problems feeding occasionally even after 2 trips back for warranty work. Just want a decent 1911 but want to avoid glued ejectors. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of a glued ejector.

It doesn't sound very solid.

Is it held in place by some kind of high-end epoxy?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think someone is messing with you, They are all glued in place
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I am serious SA has been known to glue ejectors instead if pinning them. Google it. There is a lot of talking about it over the years. I am just not sure which models SA pins and which ones they glue at this current time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am serious SA has been known to glue ejectors instead if pinning them. Google it. There is a lot of talking about it over the years. I am just not sure which models SA pins and which ones they glue at this current time.
View Quote

I Googled it OP, and it does exist.

I never heard of the process before so I can't give my observation either way (i.e. pinned vs. glued).

I have only replaced pinned ejectors, and in my experience when the fail they shear the length of the ejector flush with the frame.

I'd like to learn more so I'll be watching this thread.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Glued ejector. MC operator.  I would rant, but just a short cut on SAs part.  IDK if any other manufacturers do this.
Two attempts at regluing have failed, SA will fix for free.  Gun runs fine though

Edit for rant:  What in the xxxx were they thinking, gluing a part in a 1k $$+ pistol??   Really a crappy short cut.
Even RIA pins the ejector.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
On the plus side, it is one of the most accurate 1911s I have, this group is 16 rds of mixed ammo.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I always wundered: how do you get the pins out of the frame after an ejector breaks? (with a pinned, or "glued" ejector)
I think I heard springfield used red loktite (SP). You'd have to heat the frame with a torch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/IMGP0864_zpse55b28c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/IMGP0864_zpse55b28c3.jpg</a>

Glued ejector. MC operator.  I would rant, but just a short cut on SAs part.  IDK if any other manufacturers do this.
Two attempts at regluing have failed, SA will fix for free.  Gun runs fine though

Edit for rant:  What in the xxxx were they thinking, gluing a part in a 1k $$+ pistol??   Really a crappy short cut.
View Quote

That doesn't make we want a SA. I may have to save up a bit more and just go with a colt or something else.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That doesn't make we want a SA. I may have to save up a bit more and just go with a colt or something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/IMGP0864_zpse55b28c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/IMGP0864_zpse55b28c3.jpg</a>

SA has the best warranty service around, they will pay shipping both ways.  I just need to get off my ass and send it in.  I think they will pin it for free.  
I have had most brands of 1911, they all have some little thing that can be done better.

This issue with the ejector is not the worst thing, the gun runs fine.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Im sure it shoots great but a glyed ejector is off putting. Im not sure if i will get the SA or not. I thought they pinned certain models amd glued others but am not sure. I have been googling it and some people say their 1911 mil spec was pinned and others say theirs was glued.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Im sure it shoots great but a glyed ejector is off putting. Im not sure if i will get the SA or not. I thought they pinned certain models amd glued others but am not sure. I have been googling it and some people say their 1911 mil spec was pinned and others say theirs was glued.
View Quote

I found out a few years ago that my Stainless, Colt Commander had several MIM parts. When I asked the reps at the Colt booth at SHOT they laughed and SWORE that they didn't use MIM parts.

Little did they know that I had the broken parts (i.e. ejector, extractor, slide stop) with me. The one guy went in the office and grabbed a Jeweler's Loop and low and behold... they were ALL MIM parts.

They said they JUST couldn't understand it.

I replaced everything with Wilson Bullet Proof parts.

Manufacturers will cut corners anywhere if it will save a buck.

Even the most trusted ones do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My RO compact is also glued in. IDK which models are properly pinned.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I believe it was stated on 1911 forum, Possibly by Alchemy Custom, that SA went with the glued ejector across the board when the FBI stated the Pro model to have that done. The FBI thought was it was easier to just put a new ejector in and glue it vs pinning it. (of course I could be remembering wrong from what I have read over the years) The Brazil made guns were pined while the US made models were glued. Now that Imbel is out of the picture, all are glued, I believe.

SA will pin it at no cost to you. It is a very minor thing considering the reputation of SA pistols and their Customer Service should you need it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quick side question. Would you all rather get a SA 1911 mil spec or ruger 1911?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd have to go with Ruger considering that SA's are made offshore.

JMO
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

JMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

Common misconception .  SA are all American made.  In the past, they did use Imbel made frames.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Trying to wade through the sea of 1911s out there is a PITA. I always research before i buy. There are so many options.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked my stainless Gi model. It is pinned in with only one pin. I bought in '04 or '05. It run flawlessly all theses years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Springfield.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Common misconception .  SA are all American made.  In the past, they did use Imbel made frames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

I didn't know that.

All the SA's I've seen over the years were stamped 'Brasil' on the dust cover.

With the exception of the TRP.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

I may be wrong........this is from the 1911 forum, 2012.  Neither of my SA 1911s have made in Brazil or imbel anywhere on them.....MC operator and RO compact.

1. Springfield steel and stainless steel frames and slides are forged in Brazil. The Custom Shop receives them as ingots.

2. All the GI models, most of the Mil-Spec models and most of the Loaded models are made completely in Brazil by Imbel. They are currently marked "Made in Brazil-Imbel" Older models have different markings, but somewhere in the gun it says "made in Brazil" (usually under the right grip) and Imbel (usually under the dust cover). The Mil-Spec and Loaded models made in Brazil also have an "N" prefix in their serial numbers. The GI models have a "WW" prefix in their serial numbers.

3. Those Mil-Spec and Loaded models that are not completely made in Brazil have serial numbers with an "NM" prefix in the serial numbers. They are forged and rough machined in Brazil and finished in the United States. The United States Government sets the percentage of work that must be done in the United States to qualify as "Made in USA" and not marked Made in Brazil.

4. I do not know if the aluminum frames start in Brazil or not, but they are marked with "LW" prefix serial numbers and do not have Imbel/Made in Brazil markings. Dito for the EMP.

R.

Going to Sticky this to see if we can't avoid several of these a week in the future.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I may be wrong........this is from the 1911 forum, 2012.  Neither of my SA 1911s have made in Brazil or imbel anywhere on them.....MC operator and RO compact.

1. Springfield steel and stainless steel frames and slides are forged in Brazil. The Custom Shop receives them as ingots.

2. All the GI models, most of the Mil-Spec models and most of the Loaded models are made completely in Brazil by Imbel. They are currently marked "Made in Brazil-Imbel" Older models have different markings, but somewhere in the gun it says "made in Brazil" (usually under the right grip) and Imbel (usually under the dust cover). The Mil-Spec and Loaded models made in Brazil also have an "N" prefix in their serial numbers. The GI models have a "WW" prefix in their serial numbers.

3. Those Mil-Spec and Loaded models that are not completely made in Brazil have serial numbers with an "NM" prefix in the serial numbers. They are forged and rough machined in Brazil and finished in the United States. The United States Government sets the percentage of work that must be done in the United States to qualify as "Made in USA" and not marked Made in Brazil.

4. I do not know if the aluminum frames start in Brazil or not, but they are marked with "LW" prefix serial numbers and do not have Imbel/Made in Brazil markings. Dito for the EMP.

R.

Going to Sticky this to see if we can't avoid several of these a week in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

R.

That seems pretty accurate and makes sense.

It was always my understanding that most of the frames are manufactured in Brazil and assembled here stateside. I also think all the slides are manufactured in the U.S. regardless of model.

I don't remember seeing a rollmark that said: "Made in Brazil."

I do remember the dust covers to be simply stamped: "BRASIL."

Anyway, thanks for the updated info.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The above information is mostly correct. SA no longer sources anything from Imbel, for now 3-4 years. All pistols made now are US sourced and made in IL.

I would take a SA pistol over a ruger 1911 all day, everyday, 5 times on Sunday. From my, admittedly limited, selection here locally, the Rugers look and feel like shit. Do they function, probably without issue. Ruger generally makes fine pistols, but their 1911's do nothing for me.

I have only had 1 SA 1911 have to go back for issues, out of the 10 or so that I have owned, coincidentally, a Brazil made gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't let the glued in ejector hold you back. I shoot for years in IDPA and USPSA with a non glued non pinned ejector in my 45. Never a problem just had put it back in place before placing the slide back on.

I think my ro is pinned, but not 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top